International rules of carriage do not regulate clear rules for baggage (each carrier has the right to independently change the numbers within the framework of the established rules, ticket cost and type of aircraft). Baggage is not always checked individually for each passenger. There are two transportation systems:
This principle of transportation is relevant in almost all countries of the CIS and Asia, as well as for some carriers in the European Union. It allows you to carry with you free baggage of a certain mass:
- in economy class, the weight of the suitcase should not exceed twenty kilograms, and its dimensions - 203 centimeters (meaning the sum of the length, height and width),
- in business class, the permissible weight for transportation reaches 30 kilograms with the same bag sizes.
If your baggage exceeds any set parameter by at least one point, then the carrier may require you to pay for the second “seat” at the domestic rate.
According to the official rules of air carriers, free baggage weighing up to 10 kilograms is guaranteed for each child under the age of two years. In this case, the child may not have a separate ticket (flies in one place with parents). Children who are already 12 years old are entitled to the “adult” rate of free transportation of goods.
Such a system is quite convenient, since the number of your bags is unlimited, and when traveling together, the weight is added up. If the two of you took an economy class ticket, it is possible to take along one travel bag weighing 40 kilograms, two bags of 15 and 25 kilograms or three with a total weight of up to 43 kg (do not forget about the dimensions).
Note: regular customers of airlines can get a bonus from her and expand the weight of the cargo carried by 10-15 kilograms.
It is very important to monitor the absence of overload. The policies of different airlines may vary greatly in this regard. With a preponderance to a kilogram, two carriers alone can turn a blind eye to this, while the latter can set a full bill for being overweight (rather big). Therefore, be sure to take an interest in the rules and rules of baggage transportation on the plane in advance: they are usually indicated either in the itinerary receipt or on the company's website.
The weight system is quite convenient, but it is slowly moving into oblivion and replaced by a local one. Initially, this system worked in the USA and Canada, now it has spread to South and Central America, Europe, Australia and even Russia (Aeroflot recently switched to it). Here, the transported mass is also divided according to the class purchased:
- in economy you can take one place with a bag weighing up to 23 kg,
- there are two pieces of luggage weighing 32 kg each (a total of 64 kg).
Note: when flying to the USA and Canada, carriers often provide two places for cargo in economy classes. Please check this information in advance.
If you use the bonus program of carriers, you can get yourself an extra seat.
One of the main features of the local system is that the weight of the bags is not cumulative. That is, if you travel together in economy class and carry two bags weighing 25 and 15 kilograms, then you will be forced to pay for an overload of 2 kilograms (this will be considered as third place). Very often the cost of a third place is comparable to the cost of half or an entire ticket for a flight, especially with low-cost airlines. The same situation with independent travel - if you have two places of 23 kilograms, then you cannot put two bags of 30 and 10 kilograms on them.
Note: trade unions in many countries prohibit loaders from lifting suitcases heavier than 32 kilograms.Having loaded 33 kg, you will not only pay extra for a new place, but also face a serious problem of cargo delivery.
The requirements for a suitcase in the local system are more stringent - for the sum of the three sides, it should not be more than 158 cm.
If the cargo you are transporting does not fall under the above parameters, then you will have to arrange it as oversized. According to the rules of baggage on the aircraft, oversized cargo is considered
- A suitcase or bag with a weight of more than 32 kilograms and a total of more than 203 cm.
- Various sports equipment (skis, surfboard and snowboard, trekking poles, etc.).
- Musical instruments (guitars, trombones, accordions, etc.).
- Various climatic and household appliances (air conditioners, washing machines, freezers, refrigerators, televisions).
The transportation of any oversized cargo must be discussed with the airline in advance - if you arrive at the airport an hour before boarding and without warning, there is a high probability that it will simply not be accepted.
Note: The airline may refuse to transport oversized items. There can be many reasons for this - the lack of free space, the wrong type of aircraft (cargo may simply not go into loading hatches).
Oversize is always paid according to the tariffs of the company (it does not fall under the concept of free space). Although some companies in winter allow free transportation of ski equipment, thus luring customers.
Airline policies allow the carriage of fragile baggage by aircraft. To do this, at check-in, it is necessary to declare that it is fragile. The airport employee will stick a special sticker on the suitcase, and the cargo will be delivered to the luggage compartment manually, and not at the elevator. Moreover, the airline is not legally responsible for its integrity. Therefore, it is recommended to take fragile things into the cabin, arranging them as hand luggage.
Most airlines prohibit the following substances from being carried in the luggage compartment:
- Radioactive (note that absolutely all shipments pass the radioactivity test, so if you purchase a souvenir and it turns out to be radioactive, then you will have serious problems).
- Explosive (including cartridges, gunpowder, sparklers, fireworks, firecrackers, etc.).
- Highly flammable (no lighters, refueling cylinders, gasoline, solvents).
- Various gases (spray cans for self-defense and, in some cases, deodorants).
- Toxic, oxidizing and poisonous.
It is also forbidden to carry weapons on airplanes (if there is no special closet in the luggage compartment) and dangerous objects that can be used for attack. When transporting weapons, special permits are required, which are executed at customs.
The passenger must distinguish between “baggage” and “hand baggage”. Baggage - a suitcase that is checked in at the airport upon boarding. Hand luggage - a backpack or bag that you can take with you. The weight of luggage and the weight of luggage in an airplane per person do not add up.
The following guidelines apply:
- In business, the size of luggage is not more than 115 cm (three dimensions), weight - 15 kg.
- In the economy - 115 cm, 10 kg.
Note: in most cases, you can take extra things with you: a book, a camera, a smartphone, a laptop, a tablet, outerwear, an umbrella, a folding baby stroller, baby food, medicine, etc. A complete list of these things can be found in the rules of transportation of this airline. These things are not cumulative in the overall-weight luggage.
Try to bring along a little less baggage than the airline allows. Sometimes problems can start due to an overweight of even 500 grams. Want to get out of trouble? We will tell you a few nuances:
- Before buying tickets, study the carrier’s rules regarding baggage (many low-cost airlines do not include it in the ticket price),
- After knowing how many kilograms you can carry, be sure to weigh your suitcase (this can be done at the nearest post office or on home scales, taking the bag in your hands),
- when reloading, transfer heavy things to hand luggage or just take them on board (laptop, camera),
- items in hand luggage, according to the rules, must be in plastic bags, zipped,
- if possible, then try to arrange your goods not as baggage, but as luggage (you will save a lot of time during registration and will not lose your things).
If the cargo is lost
So, you already know how much baggage you can carry on an airplane. Now we will explain what to do if your cargo has not arrived at your destination with you. At the airport, you should receive it by tag or receipt - it is issued at the point of departure when passing the counter. If there is no cargo, then you will have to write an application for its search. The airline will need to find it within 3 weeks and return it to you. If the suitcase is still missing or damaged, then a second application for damages is written. Quite often carriers (especially from the CIS countries) send a refusal - feel free to take it and go to court. As a result, you will be compensated for moral and material damage.
Note: the airline must deliver your cargo to the specified address, and not force you to go after it. This is the standard norm and you do not need to pay for it separately.
What is oversized, overweight and non-standard baggage
Airlines measure baggage by the number of seats per person, weight and size. If the baggage is more than the free rate included in the ticket, then in many cases you need to pay for excess.
Oversized baggage (Oversize baggage / luggage) is a piece of baggage that exceeds the free baggage allowance in size. Usually it is more than 158 cm in sum of length, width and height, in some airlines - more than 203 cm. Handles, wheels and pockets are also considered. If the suitcase is larger than normal in size, then for its transportation, most likely, you will have to pay. A bag with dimensions larger than 270–320 cm (depending on the particular airline) will not be accepted as baggage for the total of three dimensions.
Overweight or heavy baggage (Overweight baggage / luggage) - this is when one piece or all of the passenger’s baggage (depending on the airline) exceeds the free weight allowance. The numbers differ for different carriers, but on average for classic airlines it is 1 place 20–23 kg in economy class and 2 places of 30–32 kg in business class. Some airlines consider the total weight regardless of the number of seats. For low-cost airlines, free baggage is often not included; you yourself add it to the ticket for a surcharge. If at the check-in desk at the airport it turns out that the suitcase is heavier than what is supposed to be on the ticket, then you pay for the excess. The maximum weight of baggage, which is not even accepted for money, can be from 32 kg to 50 kg, depending on the airline.
Non-standard baggage - This is sports equipment, musical instruments and other baggage, for which special transportation conditions are prescribed. The airline indicates the maximum weight, size and what is included in one set of baggage. Payment for some types of non-standard baggage is fixed. It happens that he flies for free.
If you are carrying something unusual, oversized or heavy, such as a TV or a wedding dress, check if the airline has special conditions for such baggage. If not, then it will fly according to the usual baggage rules with payment if the free norm is exceeded.
How to transport alpine skiing and snowboarding
Skiers and snowboarders were lucky: full of airlines that carry equipment for free in addition to the main baggage - someone all year round, and someone in the ski season. That is, you can take as many things as indicated on the ticket, plus snowboarding or skiing. Other airlines accept skis at no extra charge if they pass by weight into the free baggage allowance.This means that if you are entitled to 2 pieces of luggage weighing up to 23 kg, then one of them may be skiing. At low-cost airlines and at low fares of classic airlines, for skis, as a rule, you have to pay.
The dimensions of ski and snowboard equipment in luggage are usually not limited. But it happens that there are restrictions, for example, British Airways accepts skis in a bag up to 190 cm long in baggage. For reliability, it is always better to double-check. In any case, the weight will have to be monitored: normally it is 20–23 kg, but, for example, skis weighing up to 10 kg will be taken into Ellinair’s luggage for free, and a heavier set for an extra charge.
A post shared by Athalon Sport Gear (@athalonsportgear) on Sep 8, 2017 at 2:35 pm PDT
A bag with skis and sticks or with a snowboard and a bag with boots are usually taken as one piece of luggage. Some airlines allow an additional avalanche backpack to be handed over without surcharge. It happens that a bag with shoes is regarded as a separate place (for example, in British Airways): in order not to pay extra, take it in your hand luggage or put the shoes in the main suitcase with things.
Some airlines (for example, Ural Airlines) officially allow two passengers flying together to hand over two pairs of skis in one case, but this is rare. In practice, many people carry two pairs of skis in one case or, in addition to skis, put more clothes in order to save on baggage fees. This is rarely checked at airports, but there is still a risk - it’s more reliable to do everything according to the rules.
→ Go to the full checklist on how to fly with skis, snowboard and other sports equipment.
How to transport skis and snowboard in an airplane
How to transport a bicycle in an airplane
Some airlines accept bicycles for baggage at no extra charge - against the free baggage allowance or even in addition to it. At the same time, it is important that the bike fits into the airline's requirements for weight and often dimensions. Everything is simple with weight: a rare bike will pull 20–23 kg. But the dimensions are usually limited to 203 cm in the sum of three measurements and you should make sure in advance that the bike with the front wheel removed does not exceed them. If you do not fit and do not want to disassemble further, choose an airline that does not limit the size.
It happens that a bicycle can be handed over without taking it apart. More often, airlines require that pedals be removed from the bicycle (they can be screwed into the connecting rods) and the front wheel, the steering wheel is turned 90 °, the saddle is lowered to the minimum height, the cameras are blown off. It is better to fix the details so that they do not hang out, do not rub against each other and take up less space. Instead of the front wheel, you can put a plastic axle so that the fork does not bend.
A post shared by Robert Thomson (@rob_tomo) on Jul 4, 2015 at 3:41 pm PDT
Packaging requirements for a disassembled bike vary from airline to carrier: it can be a cardboard box, film or case. A hard cover is best protected from breakdowns, but when you get to the place, you have to think about where to leave it for the duration of the trip. Many cyclists prefer a soft case that you can buy or sew to fit your bike. Some put not only a bicycle in a case, but also clothes, bicycle tools and everything else that did not fit in the main baggage. If the weight of the cover does not exceed the norm, then usually they do not open it and do not check it, but it is better to know the airline's rules in this regard in advance.
→ Read what else is important to consider: a complete checklist.
How to transport musical instruments on the plane
To fly to a place with your musical instrument is a difficult but feasible task. How it is better to transport instruments on an airplane depends on their size and weight. To make it easier to figure it out, we put all the options in a tablet.
How to transport musical instruments on the plane
The instrument must fit the weight and dimensions into the norm of the hand luggage of the airline. The typical size of hand luggage is 115 cm in the sum of three dimensions, weight - 8-10 kg.Sometimes airlines, as an exception for musical instruments, increase the permissible dimensions. For example, British Airways launches instruments in a case measuring 80x45x25 cm, and easyJet - 30x120x38 cm. Since February 2018, Aeroflot has allowed musical instruments in hand luggage with total dimensions of up to 135 cm in the sum of three dimensions.
Guitars are usually required to be checked in, but some airlines allow hand luggage, for example, Aeroflot, easyJet, Iberia, AirCanada. At "Aeroflot" with the dimensions of the guitar more than 135 cm in the sum of three measurements, it is necessary to coordinate transportation in hand luggage no later than 36 hours before departure.
The requirements for hand luggage vary greatly - double-check before flying.
Flute, violin, viola, trumpet, clarinet, horn, accordion, drum - if you go through the dimensions of your hand luggage. Sometimes a guitar.
In classic airlines (except for promotional tariffs) you can hand over the instrument at no extra charge if it is included in the free baggage allowance by weight, size and number of seats. If exceeds, then with surcharge. Low-cost airlines usually have clear bets on how much it costs to carry different musical instruments in your luggage.
Many musicians are afraid to hand over tools, especially expensive ones. If you do, hand over the coffer with large Fragile stickers (fragile).
Cello, guitar, synthesizer, harp, double bass - if they fit into the allowable baggage allowance for weight and size.
In the cabin, you can take a tool weighing up to 75–80 kg and approximate dimensions up to 135x50x30 cm. You need to fasten it on the seat: ask the cabin crew for a belt extension. Instruments are transported on a special ticket, and not on a regular passenger: to buy it at the same time with your own, contact the airline. Useful tips for transporting bulky tools in the cabin at Katerina King.
Double bass does not always work in a separate chair. Even if you bought a special ticket, it may not be allowed to board.
Cello, guitar, harp, lute, accordion, synthesizer.
Carrying heavy and bulky tools in unaccompanied baggage is cheaper than buying a separate seat for them in the cabin. Plus, you can send unaccompanied baggage that does not fit the dimensions for transportation on an armchair in the cabin or in baggage.
Any instruments, including piano, piano
What else to consider when flying with a musical instrument:
• Before buying a ticket, study the airline's requirements for the transport of musical instruments. If your tool is not in the rules, write to the support service and ask clearly to indicate the packaging requirements, maximum sizes and cost of transportation. Print a response before the flight to show it at check-in if necessary.
• If you are carrying a relatively small tool, which does not fit slightly into the norms of hand luggage, at the airport you can show all your charm and try to persuade the security service and airline staff to let him into the cabin. Experienced travel musicians say that a soft case increases the chances of success. A tool in a hard case is more likely to go into luggage.
• If you carry a bulky instrument like double bass and if you don’t want to check it in, then you need to reserve a separate place for the instrument in the cabin at the same time as buying a ticket, or immediately after. Make sure this is possible in advance. If something went wrong, at many airlines you can hand over your ticket without loss during the day after booking or until midnight on the same day.
• If you fly abroad, documents may require documents. Rare and unique instruments and bows, with the exception of factory production, are considered cultural values. To take them abroad, you need a certificate of export right, which is issued after examination.
• If the instrument is recognized as a cultural value and is more than 100 years old, then it cannot be exported from Russia. If your violin is two years old and it was made at the factory, then grab the factory passport or check, and if they are not there, it is more reliable to take the instrument for examination and get a conclusion that it is not a cultural value - then the customs officers will definitely have no questions.
→ Go to the full checklist of how to fly with musical instruments and other non-standard baggage.
How to transport prams and car seats
A post shared by @nirosaniazul 👋 Jaio (@nirosaniazul) on Jul 26, 2016 at 11:55 am PDT
A stroller or cradle or car seat for a child on airplanes is transported free of charge in addition to baggage. If a child is older than two years, occasionally his “transport” is accepted as a free baggage allowance or for an extra charge in case of excess.
A compact walking stick can usually be used before boarding or at the gangway. Then the cabin crew put it in the luggage compartment and return it when leaving the aircraft or in the arrival terminal along with oversized baggage. Often, before the ladder, they allow the cradle to be used on the chassis, then the chassis is taken away for the duration of the flight, and the cradle can be left. Unworthy strollers are checked in at your luggage.
Most airlines allow you to take a baby car seat in your hand luggage. If it is certified for flights, for example, Maxi-Cosi Pebble and Kiddy Energy Pro, and the child flies in a separate place, then he can comfortably get in the usual car seat. The chassis is checked in separately or taken before boarding. If you intend to fly with a car seat, find out in advance if it does not exceed the limit of weight and dimensions established by the airline.
How to transport wheelchairs by plane
If the passenger uses a wheelchairShe will be transported by plane for free. After buying a ticket, call the airline, tell the weight and size of the wheelchair, find out the rules for carriage and order escort services, if necessary.
A folding stroller can be used before boarding, then cabin crew will pick it up and give it back after arrival. If there is no room for a stroller in the cabin, the passenger will be offered to hand it in luggage, and for moving around the airport they will provide another stroller or electric car. Carriages are checked in, but you need to tell the airline the type and power of the battery in advance, and grab the documents for it at the airport. The batteries must be disconnected and the contacts insulated before being checked in.
If a passenger carries a wheelchair as baggage, then it is surrendered according to general baggage rules. Exceeds the dimensions and weight of free baggage - which means it is paid extra.
12 important tips on how to fly with oversized and non-standard baggage
A post shared by Bre Vine (@bre_vine) on Sep 6, 2017 at 4:16 pm PDT
In short, when flying with any non-standard and oversized baggage, you need to follow the rules of the airline - then everything will go smoothly, but there are many nuances. In order not to miss anything, see our checklist of what you need to do before the flight:
1. Find out under what conditions the airline carries the necessary baggage: read on the website or call the call center. Non-standard baggage, including sports equipment, can be accepted by:
1) free of charge in addition to the rest of the luggage,
2) as ordinary baggage, that is, free of charge within the limits of the norm included in the ticket,
3) on special conditions: for example, skis fly like ordinary baggage, but without size limitations,
4) for a surcharge.
2. Calculate the weight, dimensions and number of pieces of your baggage: it depends on whether you have to pay extra. For example, at the Economy Optimum tariff in Aeroflot, you are entitled to one seat weighing up to 23 kg, while the bicycle is transported free of charge for baggage allowance. So, you can hand over either a bag with things, or a bicycle, but not all at once.
3. When choosing a ticket, estimate its total cost. Promotional rates look attractive.But when you pay extra for the transportation of fishing tackle, and on board seduce yourself with a bun and coffee, it may turn out that flying at a more expensive fare, where this is included in the ticket price, would cost less.
4. If you need to pay extra for baggage, do it in advance. If possible, at the time of purchase. If you have not paid right away and there is still time left before departure, then most likely additional baggage can be purchased on the same site where the tickets were booked, or through the support service. At the airport, payment for oversized, heavy or non-standard baggage will certainly be more than on the site. Before buying, read the fare rules, find out how much free baggage you are entitled to, and, if necessary, include additional options in the ticket, for example, sports equipment.
5. Please note that when traveling with transfers, non-standard baggage is paid on each flight. If you fly Moscow - Istanbul - Bangkok and back, and transportation of sports equipment costs 30 € per segment, then you will pay 120 €.
6. Check with your airline for non-standard baggage. According to the rules of most airlines, the transportation of sports equipment and other non-standard baggage must be reported no later than 24–48 hours before departure. Otherwise, there is a risk that baggage will not be accepted or sent on another flight, because there is not enough space on the plane. If this is not explicitly written about on the airline’s website, it’s more reliable to report it anyway: spend 5 minutes calling the call center, but there will be no problem at the airport. Directly ask the operator if he has included information about non-standard baggage in your reservation. Sometimes, for the sake of fidelity, instead of making a call, you should receive confirmation by email and take it with you to the airport.
7. Pack your luggage according to airline requirements. For example, some carriers take the bike as is, you just need to blow off the wheels, but most require it to be disassembled and lay in the case.
8. Fold equipment so that it does not break. Movers at the airport are not too fond of luggage, so sometimes baby strollers arrive with broken wheels, and guitars with dents. To get everything safe, you need to pack quality. Take fragile to the salon, and for checking in luggage, generously wrap with clothing or bubble wrap and fold so that there are no protruding parts. If the equipment is collapsible or consists of small parts, tie them so that they do not move or rub against each other. At the check-in desk at the airport, ask for a Fragile sticker on the baggage (fragile).
9. Arrive at the airport 3 hours before departureso as not to panic if the entrance control or check-in takes longer than usual, and so that you can quickly find an oversized baggage rack. Be devilishly polite to everyone, especially if you are carrying something oversized or unusual - then you will be asked fewer questions.
10. At the airport, as usual, go to the reception. There you will be registered, checked baggage and issued a boarding pass. You will hand over ordinary bags in the same place, and take oversized baggage to a special rack. At the airport of arrival, look for an oversized baggage claim point, and sometimes fishing rods, skis and prams are put on the floor next to a regular luggage carousel.
11. If you order a transfer upon arrival, do not forget to clarify that you are carrying non-standard baggage. Then they will send you a car in which everything fits.
12. If things are heavier and larger than the airline accepts in baggage even for a surcharge, they can be sent as unaccompanied baggage with the consent of the airline along the route that you fly. He will be accepted at the airline’s cargo service (usually located at the cargo terminal) and will be given a bill of lading for you to receive your belongings at the airport of arrival. Before departure and after arrival, you need to fill out passenger customs declarations and go through customs.
Flying with oversized or non-standard items in your luggage? Tell us about it in our VKontakte or Facebook groups.
What are the standards for things on the plane
Upon landing, all that the lucky passenger is inspected and weighed. It turned out that the suitcase exceeds the permissible weight or dimensions - there will be difficulties during registration, which threaten not only loss of time and nerves, but also unplanned expenses.
Pay attention! Musical instruments and animals are transported separately, regardless of the volume of other things. The free carriage rate does not apply to them, you will have to pay extra according to the tariff schedule.
In international air transportation, there are 2 generally accepted measures for the transportation of passenger suitcases: weight concept and piece concept. The free and paid flight options with things are affected by:
- class of service
- flight duration
- baggage dimensions
- the weight of things
- flight direction.
Weight concept or weight measure sets a limit only on the weight of passenger bags. It is used by most carriers in Asia, the CIS countries and part of European companies. For adult passengers and children over two years of age, the weight measure allows free transportation of:
- Economy - no more than 20 kilograms,
- Business - no more than 30 kilograms,
- The first is not more than 40 kilograms.
These restrictions include the combined mass of checked in luggage and hand luggage for one flying. Information about the norm of things is placed on the purchased ticket. If the requirements change, the carrier must notify the passenger. It is allowed to take no more than 10 kilograms, up to 1.15 meters in size, to the airplane cabin itself.
If a child flies under two years old without a separate seat from the parents, the volume of things allowed for it will be 10 kilograms.
A piece concept or quantitative measure determines the number of units carried per passenger. Distributed by airlines in Canada, USA, in most countries of Central and South America. Among Russian airlines, Aeroflot uses this measure.
With a quantitative measure, regardless of the class of the ticket, it is allowed to transport for free no more than two bags weighing up to 32 kilograms each. The combined weight of the seats does not matter and is not cumulative. Maximum sizes with a quantitative measure:
- Economy - no more than 1.58 meters
- Business - no more than 2.03 meters,
- The first - no more than 2.03 meters.
Keep in mind: no matter what complexity or range, the flight, loading and unloading of things is paid by the airline.
Carriage of fragile and valuable baggage
We recommend that you keep important, fragile and valuable things and documents with you and take them to the cockpit if they are hand-luggage in size and weight. If fragile and valuable baggage is large, but less than 75 kilograms, it will be allowed to carry it in the cabin on a separate ticket.
With a weight of more than 75 kilograms, you will have to buy several seats in multiples of the difference in luggage weight and weight standard for 1 place. The discount system for these tickets is not valid.
Rules for baggage on the plane
At the end of last year, amendments were made to the general rules for air transportation of luggage.
According to the law, all Russian airlines must comply with uniform standards.
What are the rules for baggage on board in 2019?
How many kg of baggage can I carry on a plane for free?
In Russian and international airlines baggage is divided into the following weight categories:
Separate baggage up to 10 kg can be checked out for a child under 2 years old.
Allowable baggage weight depends on the ticket category:
- In economy class - 20 kg per passenger.
- In business class - up to 30 kg.
- In the first class - up to 30 kg.
How much does an excess baggage cost on an airplane?
If the weight of the baggage exceeds the permissible norms, it is called excess, baggage over 30 kg - heavy.
In case of excess baggage, the passenger pays extra for every extra kilogram.Unified tariffs do not exist: each airline sets its price.
Depending on the policy of the air carrier and the specific flight, the surcharge for the excess may be calculated:
- Based on the cost of the maximum economy class fare. With this approach, 1 kg overweight costs 1.5% of the ticket price.
- Based on the fixed amount set by the air carrier. On different flights, this amount may vary and varies between 5-15 € per kg.
In addition to weight, baggage can exceed the norm in dimensions, including the sum of 3 measurements (length + height + width). This baggage includes:
- sport equipment,
- some musical instruments (double bass, guitar),
- large household appliances.
The maximum dimensions of checked baggage for all classes must be 158 cm.
The company may refuse to transport oversized cargo if there is not enough space in the luggage compartment.
Each passenger of the aircraft can carry a certain amount of things without payment. The exact amount depends on the type of aircraft and airline rules. One of the advantages of flights by large companies with regular flights is a large baggage allowance. Carry for free up to 23 kilograms in baggage and up to 7 kilograms in hand luggage.
The exact amount of free baggage is always indicated on your ticket.
When buying tickets for a regular flight at a discount, check with the airline the maximum size of items in baggage and cabin. Understand the maximum as approximate. It is important that the sum of the three measurements in height, width and depth of the passenger bag is less than the sum of the dimensions in the airline table.
What can I carry in my baggage?
In the luggage it is allowed to carry any items except those that are classified as dangerous in international practice. Their list is given in the ticket.
It is also important to understand that there is no single global baggage standard for all airlines. You need to focus on the country to which the passenger flies.
For example, when flying to Dubai, it is forbidden to take objects and books of a religious orientation on board, except for Islam.
Flying with luggage on low-cost airlines
The allowable baggage allowance for low cost airlines (Low Cost) is much less than usual. Some laukoster at all are not allowed to carry luggage at no extra cost, and also severely limit the hand luggage allowed in the aircraft.
Air discounters strictly check the compliance of things with the rules and earn on inattentive passengers who have not read the rules of transportation. Near the check-in counter and at the exit to the aircraft there are scales and frames in which hand luggage should be placed. If the bag is larger, you will have to check in your luggage and pay extra pretty much.
A budget company will be allowed to fly with only 1 piece of luggage. Some low-cost airlines will still allow to carry an additional lady’s bag and laptop into the salon. Read the airline rules carefully.
If your carry-on baggage is more than the norm and there is nothing to remove, then check-in and pay your baggage in advance online before arriving at the airport. Check-in at the counter before boarding costs two times more. And payment at the gate during landing will result in a substantial amount.
Advice! Low bonfires do not limit the amount of clothing per passenger. Wear the most voluminous and heavy things.
Flights with a discounter airline can save a lot of money, but take things to a minimum and carefully read the rules for carrying luggage and hand luggage. Then there will be no problems and loss of money when boarding a flight.
What can not be carried in the baggage of an airplane?
According to the rules, most airlines prohibit the carriage of:
Rates for carrying things on a charter flight are determined by the tour operator who sells the tour and is a charterer of the aircraft. On charter flights, passengers are allowed to carry one seat weighing no more than 20 kg and 10 kg for children under 2 years of age (if a separate seat is not provided for the child). The rate of free transportation for charter flights is the same for business and economy class.
Most often, chartering companies summarize the weight of seats on passengers flying together. But it’s better to divide the luggage evenly, since the company simply won’t accept baggage for transportation without extra charge.
The norm of hand luggage on charters is 5 kg per passenger. On the charter, the dimensions of luggage and hand luggage are not strictly monitored, a slight advantage is often missed at no extra charge.
Can I take a knife?
Most airlines prohibit the transport of all types of knives, from penknives to kitchen and hunting. But there are also airports that allow the transport of penknives and folding knives without fixing up to 6 cm long.
In order to carry knives in baggage whose length is more than 10 cm (household, hunting, etc.), you must first obtain special permission. If the knife is carried in baggage as a cold weapon, then it, besides this, should be in the case.
It is also allowed to carry in the checked baggage, subject to the required conditions, such sharp objects as:
- swords and drafts,
- bayonets and swords
- imitators of any kind of weapon.
What is not recommended to take in luggage?
According to the rules of carriage, it is undesirable to baggage:
Important! Take these things with you in your hand luggage or leave them at home.
What to do with luggage when you fly with a transfer
In transit, you can fly airplanes of one or different airlines. It is more convenient when changing trains without changing the carrier company:
- all flights will be registered in one ticket,
- you hand over your things at the airport of departure, but you receive on arrival,
- employees of the airline are responsible for the flight of your belongings.
You carry things that you need to declare - at the intermediate point you will have to get your luggage and check it in yourself after inspection for the next flight.
It is more difficult when you fly by several airlines. If the companies are partners and you have checked in your baggage to the final destination, there will be no differences. But when carriers are not connected, you have to sweat:
- there will be separate tickets for each of the flights,
- things will have to be received and handed over again at the transit airport,
- being late for docking and baggage safety is your headache.
If there is a dock, lay more time for clearance and movement around the airport. Familiarize yourself with the airport map in advance and consider your way to the docking place. Travel only with hand luggage.
Checking in and checking luggage takes time, as does standing in line for check-in. Travel with carry-on baggage and check in for your flight before arriving at the airport - do not stand in line and do not waste time.
Another loss of time is baggage claim. Waiting for baggage after an airplane arrives can take up to 1.5 hours, depending on the airport of arrival. If you have only hand luggage with you, you can go about your business immediately after leaving the plane and passing passport control.
Enjoy the flight
A traveler's nightmare is the loss of your suitcase by an airline. Of course, most often things are found, but this unpleasant experience should not be experienced. But what about the fears that the suitcase will be damaged during loading or will be opened and something valuable will be stolen.
When your things travel nearby in the cabin - there will be no convulsive experiences and unrest. A convenient and roomy bag that you take in your hand luggage guarantees no unnecessary worries.
Avoid excess spending
Overweight is a frequent and unpleasant phenomenon for travelers, which threatens with additional expenses. In addition, flying without baggage, you can easily move low-cost airlines with their incredibly low price tags.
The main difficulty when flying with hand luggage is the ability to abandon unnecessary things. Learn to hit the road with a minimum of luggage. This is especially useful when connecting and difficult routes. Take all the things with you on the plane and your mobility will allow you to visit more places in one trip.
What can I take on hand luggage on an airplane
You fly with your luggage - take only what you need in flight to the cabin: your favorite book, gadgets, documents and a warm jumper. Valuable and fragile items are also best kept with you. But if you travel exclusively with hand luggage - check what things to pack and which ones to leave at home.
The standard “migratory” bag should not exceed 1.15 meters in total for all measurements or be no more than 55x40x20 centimeters. Allowed weight depends on the carrier, but rarely can exceed 10 kg per passenger. If the dimensions are not met, you will have to check in your luggage.
The requirements of the low-cost airline for the size of the flight bag can vary significantly. If you don’t want to pay extra - read and follow all the conditions of a low-cost carrier.
How much liquid can I take on board?
Baggage may carry any of these liquids.. There are no restrictions on volume, however, the general permissible norms for weight must be observed (see above).
List of things allowed on the plane
- Products: Any solid food can be carried on the plane. Do not attempt to carry liquids, jellies, or creams larger than 100 ml. Take reasonable amounts of food and drink for your child and do not have to put it in plastic, but you will need to show it during inspection. Be prepared for additional inquiries and requests to open and try the contents.
- Medicines: Take any non-liquid medicines in reasonable quantities, it is better if they are in the original packaging and with instructions. With a large number of medicines or if the products contain narcotic substances, have a prescription and a certificate from your doctor so that there are no problems at customs.
The volume of liquid medicines and sprays should be less than 100 ml. But aerosols and syringes can not be taken.
- Technique: the list of devices that can be transported by plane depends on the country's security requirements. Usually there are no problems when transporting a phone, laptop, tablet, camera and player. You can also take small household appliances (electric shaver, electric toothbrush and hair dryer). In case of suspicion, the inspection service may require you to turn on the device and demonstrate its operation.
You carry equipment in hand luggage - remember that the airline limits the number of items in the cabin per passenger and their size.
- Documents and valuables: a passport and all documents necessary for traveling (hotel reservations, tickets and car rental), as well as valuables, are best taken to the airplane cabin. If the baggage is lost, all the documents necessary for staying in the country will be on hand.
- Cosmetics: carry loose and dry cosmetics without problems, but with liquid cosmetics it is more difficult: the total volume of liquid substances in your hand luggage should not be more than 1 liter, and the volume of one bottle should not exceed 100 ml.If the conditions are not met, you will have to throw away your favorite funds at the inspection or return to the reception and check in your luggage. It is forbidden to take aerosols and containers under pressure into flight, replace them with dry means.
- Hygiene items: there is a ban on piercing and cutting objects in the aircraft, regardless of their size, so manicure scissors, combs with a sharp metal handle and dangerous razors cannot be carried. Take the paste in a tube of less than 100ml to avoid problems.
- Baby accessories: airlines allow you to take a baby stroller or carrycot for a child on the plane at no extra charge. They are issued as hand luggage and are handed over to staff at the entrance to the salon.
How to transport Duty Free goods on an airplane
You can buy Duty Free products in the commerce area without duties or during an international flight. There will be no problems with solid goods, but when transporting liquids (perfumes, alcoholic drinks, etc.), you need to be aware of the rules:
- duty free products must be specially sealed and packaged,
- do not open the packaging until you arrive at your destination and pass control,
- A bottle unpacked at the airport may be prohibited from taking on the flight.
Having bought alcoholic beverages in Duty Free, find out the customs requirements for the export and import of strong drinks in the country of destination. When buying in Duty Free for a difficult route, find out the rules for the transport of goods in the country of transit and the requirements of the carrier.
Not all low-cost airlines allow you to carry a package with duty free at no extra cost, it is considered a separate place and you will have to pay for transportation.
What is forbidden to carry on the plane
It is forbidden to carry any dangerous substances or objects that could harm other passengers on the plane. These are all types of weapons and weapons-like toys, radioactive, poisonous, corrosive substances and gases under pressure. The customs service also has its limitations; they concern money, jewelry, alcohol, tobacco, various valuables and art objects.
Usually, budget travelers do not have the idea to pack something from this list, but on the plates at the airport you will find just such a list of prohibited substances.
Rules for transporting liquid in an airplane
On the plane will be allowed to take a maximum of 1 liter of liquid substances, in addition, all funds are requested are poured into separate containers of 100 ml in size. Moreover, liquids are only water, but also any creamy and jelly-like products.
Please note that carrying liquids in containers larger than 100 ml is partially prohibited. If 50 ml of shampoo is packed in a 400 ml bottle, you will have to part with the product during the inspection.
- stock up on mini packs, preferably indicating the volume on the package,
- distribute all liquid and creamy products into containers,
- pack all the funds in one transparent bag, preferably 20 by 20 centimeters in size,
- check that the total volume is not more than 1000 ml (10 containers).
Where to get the right 100 ml containers? Leave the mini-packages that they give when checking in at the hotels: you will have shampoo, a means for shower and cream. Buy miniatures of cosmetics or a travel kit of cosmetics, in it the volume of funds is 50-100 ml. On sale there are universal packaging containers for travelers, you just have to pour your favorite money and collect baggage.
As a package, Zip-Lock, which is sold in any stationery store, is perfect. And yet, the volume of liquid funds of travelers flying together will not be summarized.
Non-standard or bulky baggage
It includes fragile, most valuable and, of course, oversized baggage, which is carried in the cabin, but with the obligatory purchase of a separate ticket for a seat. The limitation is the weight per seat, not more than 75 kg.
The transportation of such cargo has some restrictions or rules that must be observed during the flight process in the cabin of any airline.
- If baggage exceeds the dimensions (weight and dimensions) of the cargo transportation seats, it is recognized as not dimensional and is transported in the cabin, namely in a separate seat, but the weight should not exceed 75 kg,
- If the weight of such cargo is more than 75 kg, then the number of tickets is purchased that is a multiple of the ratio of its weight and the norm of permissible transportation of oversized cargo per seat. Moreover, the ticket is bought at the usual fare, a discount system is usually not provided. Everything is issued on the ticket of the passenger accompanying this cargo, with the obligatory indication of all necessary tariffs. Even such tariffs with a discount system as:
- For children,
- Airline crew members
- Student rates
- Air tickets for transportation of oversized baggage are not entitled to carry the standard amount of free baggage.
Checked-in oversized (non-standard) baggage, which differs in size and weight from ordinary baggage, can be transported in the general luggage compartment. The following oversized or bulky cargo is allowed for such transportation as:
- Chair for the disabled person,
- Baby carriage,
- Musical instruments, etc.
Everything is carried out at your request and in agreement with the airline, which is drawn up in advance.
In addition to the rules governing the size and weight of baggage carried on an airplane, there are restrictions on the transport of certain items and substances. So, according to the “Short list of objects and substances prohibited or limited by the terms of transportation on board the aircraft”, it will not work at all to carry gas, gas burners, fireworks or plastic explosives on the plane. On the other hand, there are objects that are forbidden to take with you in hand luggage, but in the luggage they are allowed. Among them - a penknife, a corkscrew, a saber, a crossbow and some others. So be careful when packing in your suitcases before your trip.
Attention! Pay attention to the offered discounts and “bonuses” when buying tickets. Each airline periodically conducts this type of advertising campaign. Be sure to check the availability of this information before the trip, in addition to the mandatory clarification of specific rules for free luggage, on the airline of your choice.
It should be remembered that these rules and regulations apply only to regular carriers. Baggage allowances for low cost airlines (Low Cost) differ from generally accepted ones as a rule in a smaller direction. Some low-cost carriers do not carry luggage at all for free. As a rule, you can pay for excess baggage in advance when buying a ticket and it will be much cheaper than paying an excess at the check-in counter.
Baggage allowance on a charter flight is determined by the charterer of the aircraft (tour operator).
Air Baggage Rules
So, an exciting journey awaits you. Tickets have already been bought, thoughts melt from a hunch of novelty and pleasant pleasures. For thoughts to become reality, you just need to prepare for the journey correctly. And you need to start by stacking things that you will need during the trip.
You must carefully prepare for the flight
When collecting your suitcase, remember that on the way back it is always harder from shopping and gifts. We remind you that everything you take on the road needs to be divided into two unequal parts:
- hand luggage
- checked baggage
Divide things into 2 categories: for transportation in the cabin and in the luggage compartment
One will be with you in the cabin and is called hand luggage (or cabin luggage, if it will be stored in a special cabin of the cabin if you wish). You are responsible for its safety yourself.
The cabin has special shelves for luggage. Also the suitcase can be placed under the seat
And the second one will fly with you, but in the luggage compartment of the plane it’s called checked baggage. The airline is responsible for the safety of this baggage.
Do not forget to transfer these things in checked baggage
It must be borne in mind that the rules for carrying baggage on the plane for hand luggage and checked baggage are different. Those. what you can carry with you under the guise of checked baggage may be prohibited for transportation in the cabin. So below are the basic rules for carrying luggage
LUGGAGE - hand luggage in an airplane can be from 5 to 18 kilograms (depending on the requirements of the carrier’s airline, route, fare, ticket). As a rule, hand luggage consists of:
- all necessary documents (passports, securities, credit cards, vouchers, insurance)
-valuable and fragile things (video cameras, laptops, jewelry, glasses, etc.)
- life-saving medicines, baby food
- and the rest depends on your tastes and personal life.
In hand luggage should be the most necessary things for you. Which - you decide
Approximate carry-on size
For the safety and comfort of passengers, hand luggage should not exceed the permissible size so that it can be put under the seat of the aircraft seat. Usually these are dimensions 55x40x20 cm.
There are exceptions, for example, Air Astana allows business class passengers to carry hand luggage weighing up to 18 kilograms in the cabin. And at Lufthansa airline, passengers of the first and business class are allowed to take two pieces of hand luggage, and for economy class passengers - one. The permissible dimensions of one piece of hand luggage are increased to 55x40x23, and the weight should not exceed 23 kilograms.
Many airlines allow cats in special containers to carry in their hand luggage.
The main thing that you should not forget is that in the passenger’s hand luggage any items that are dangerous to others, their imitators and models (radioactive, toxic substances, weapons, piercing, cutting and explosive objects) are strictly prohibited.
It is forbidden to take these things with you!
Due to the increased terrorist attacks, the requirements have been tightened and restrictions on liquids have been introduced, even on toilet and cosmetic products (it is interesting that shaving foam and toothpaste are also classified as liquids). The maximum volume of liquid in any container should not exceed 100 milliliters, and the total total amount of liquid per person in cabin baggage cannot be more than one liter. In addition, all liquids must be folded into one resealable transparent bag.
Liquids carried into the cabin should be packaged as follows.
And the remaining liquids exceeding this volume will have to be packed in checked baggage, there they will be accepted without any problems. Baby food, medicines that may be needed during the flight can be packaged in a transparent, non-sealed bag.
Liquid transport in an airplane
In addition to the free baggage allowance, you can bring alcohol, cigarettes and perfumes bought in Duty Free, clothing, flowers, canes, umbrellas, a folded baby stroller, cradle, book, laptop (they are not presented when weighing).
Baby stroller should be easy to fold and take up little space
You can easily travel with your laptop - do not weigh it
BAGGAGE. We figured out the hand luggage, now we will put the checked baggage. Standards for checked baggage are set in just two systems:
- restriction (norms) by the number of seats and weight
- restriction (norms) by weight
In most cases, norms are set for the number of seats. What does it mean? Passengers have the right to take:
• in business class - two seats weighing no more than 32 kilograms each
• in economy class - one place, not more than 23 kilograms each
Only one piece of carry-on baggage is allowed in economy class
Some companies, to attract customers, allow an additional number of free baggage. For example, on Czech airlines, Gold, Elite Plus card holders are entitled to free extra baggage, but weighing no more than 23 kilograms.
What should be remembered when packing? The rules for carriage of baggage on the plane say - the weight of baggage is not cumulative! If one suitcase is heavier than the norm, and the other is lighter than the permissible norm, but in total they do not exceed the allowable norm, then you still have to pay extra for the excess of the first suitcase. The weight of the suitcase or bag is taken into account when weighing them.
Distribute your belongings evenly. Suitcases with different weights are not the best solution for a flight.
Remember! When transporting, the weight of luggage is not cumulative
A weight restriction (weighted baggage allowance) means that the passenger has the right to carry any number of bags for free, but their total weight should be equal to or less than the norm for this route and the class of service standard. The current weight rate for a particular route must be sought in the ticket or in the fare rules on the airline’s website. For example, Air Astana has a total weight of luggage and hand luggage of not more than thirty kilograms for business class and twenty kilograms for economy class passengers.
What is the size limit for free baggage? According to security requirements, the maximum size of one piece of packed luggage is established by the sum of three dimensions (length, width, height). As a rule, this is 158 cm. There are exceptions too - Utair.ru and S7 Airlines have one piece of packed baggage that should not exceed 203 centimeters and 32 kilograms in terms of comfort class fare.
For wheelchairs, musical instruments, sports equipment, which cannot be divided into parts, make an exception.
Exceptions are made for some things.
Absolutely all airlines have a general rule - excess baggage by weight, quantity, size must be paid at the corresponding tariffs. Each company has its own prices when paying for the advantage.
For excess baggage you will have to pay the appropriate amount
Attention! With a surcharge for excess - the weight of one piece of checked baggage cannot exceed 50kg!
In addition to the baggage requirements of carrier airlines, each country has a list of items and products that are restricted or prohibited from importing into the country. For example, you cannot import more than 200 cigarettes into Turkey, and it is forbidden to import equipment for gambling into Israel.
Do you like the article? Support AviaSovet.ru, click:
What medicines can I take on a plane?
Customs regulations prohibit the transport of narcotic and psychotropic substances on the plane. Presence of a prescription from a doctor indicating the dose requires such means as:
Potent substances that may be contained in certain medicines, such as:
- chlorphenamine maleate,
The allowed amount of medicines on the plane is very conditional: for your own use for the duration of the trip. If more than 5 packs of drugs are found in the baggage, then the customs services will most likely have questions for the passenger.
All medicines transported on the plane must be in the original packaging, in accordance with the expiration date stated on the package.
Note! For the smooth transport of insulin, a diabetic passport should be issued before the trip.
What products can I take on board?
You can place food in the baggage of an airplane, provided that:
- This product is not included in the list of prohibited by customs (for international flights).
- This product is not listed in the air carrier’s restrictions.
- Liquid product not opened, sealed.
If a flight is made between countries, then the transported goods and products fall under the customs requirements for individuals. They are established by the host countries, and these requirements must be taken into account.
As for domestic flights, customs rules do not apply to such baggage.
Customs bans often apply to epidemiologically hazardous products without factory packaging. For example, it is forbidden to import meat and dairy products into the EU countries, this measure was introduced to prevent the spread of infections.
US Customs does not allow a range of products from other countries, namely:
- many types of fruits and vegetables.
To carry exotic fruits from southern countries in your luggage, you will need a special container so that they are not damaged during the flight.
How much alcohol can I carry in my baggage?
Strong drinks (24–70 °) - up to 5 liters, while:
- up to 3 liters of alcohol - duty free,
- over 3 and up to 5 l - with surcharge at customs.
The single rate of the vehicle in excess of the norm of 3 liters - 10 € for each liter in excess of the norm.
These standards for individuals apply to any imported alcohol in baggage, including:
You can transport alcohol on the plane only in its original packaging.. Homemade wines, moonshine will be confiscated at customs.
In some countries, the restriction on the export of alcoholic beverages is even stricter. So, for example, from Hungary no more than 1 liter of strong alcohol can be taken out (from 22%), and up to 2 liters of less strong alcoholic drinks.
An exception is made only for grape wine and beer: here the restrictions are less stringent - you can take out up to 4 liters of wine and 16 liters of beer.
How many cigarettes can I put in my baggage?
The number of cigarettes for transportation in checked baggage is not limited. The basic rule is not to exceed the limits of the customs service of the country of destination.
It is forbidden for one passenger to import more than:
- 200 cigarettes (one pack),
- 50 cigars
- 250 grams of tobacco.
Important! Cigarettes are strictly prohibited for minors.
These restrictions apply in all EU countries. In the USA, the limits are as follows: a passenger from 21 years of age and older can carry up to 2 kg of tobacco (sheet).
Most airlines have lighters under the strictest ban. You cannot carry in baggage:
- zippo brand lighters,
- souvenir lighters, even if they don’t have a single gram of gas,
- other types of "personalized" lighters.
You can take a regular lighter filled with liquefied gas with you on board an airplane.
So, when planning a flight on domestic and international flights, be sure to study what and in what quantities can be carried in the baggage of the plane. The information presented above in the article will help in this matter.
How not to lose luggage when flying
Afraid of losing luggage when flying - take measures before the flight that reduce the likelihood of loss:
- Remove used baggage tags after the flight. An airport employee will easily make a mistake if the suitcase is hung with old tags and stickers, and send baggage on a different route.
- Keep valuable and necessary things with you. If replacing a thing is not easy, take it to the cabin, because the carrier is not responsible for the loss.
- Mark the suitcase outside, indicate the city, last name and contact, preferably in English. Inside the bag also put a leaflet with contacts, and a request to return the luggage.
- Take a photo of the bag inside and out, keep a list of all valuables, excellent if you can justify their value by presenting a check.
- Dismantle the external belts during the flight - they will hook on the transport line, and the suitcase will be stuck.
- Pack the luggage in film, use the packaging at the airport or wrap it yourself. Stretch packaging protects against burglars and shipping damage.
- Choose discreet models or buy a special case. Luxury suitcases attract extra attention, expensive bags can be stolen for theft.
- Install on a combination lock and change the code: this will protect the bag from opening when the lightning falls and diverges and scare off or at least slow down the burglars.
- Insure your luggage from loss: if you lose your suitcase, the insurance will compensate the amount of damage. To do this without any hassle, use one of the stores to buy insurance online Strahovkaru.ru
Why baggage is lost:
- 50% of baggage is lost due to interruptions and inconsistencies in the operation of the airport,
- 15% of bags are not loaded onto the plane due to the loss or absence of a baggage tag,
- 15% remain on the baggage tape - they simply do not pick up passengers,
- 20% of baggage is lost in other ways for various reasons.
What place do our missing suitcases fall into?
When registering, a special tag with a marking is hung on the bag, a ten-digit barcode contains complete information about the luggage:
- 6 last digits - unique baggage identifier
- 3 digits in the middle - designation of flight number
- the first digit is the baggage class.
A tag is a directory that allows the airport system to direct baggage on the correct route, moving along the conveyor belt the suitcase gets to the right place: the luggage compartment of the aircraft or the baggage claim area. If there is no tag, there is a problem on the line or the barcode is not read correctly - the bag enters the lost luggage or flies along the wrong route.
Where suitcases disappear at the airport:
- In the distant past: if a mistake is made in the labeling of the tag, the suitcase will fly on its journey: another city, country, continent - the larger the airport, the more exotic the suitcase route may be.
- In desperate obscurity: the tag is torn or loosely pasted and lost when the suitcase passes the transport tape, such bags without identification marks settle in the area of unexplained baggage.
- To the suitcase detectives. If the suitcase is lost or left unassembled from the conveyor belt (yes, this also happens) and the tag on it is suitcase detectives. Punching the barcode in the internal system, they find all the information about the owner and contact him to please the news about the find.
- On the international wanted list. The World Tracer System is an international baggage tracing system in which most of the world's airports participate. The system is automated and looks for the missing baggage by comparing the route, color, size and weight of the bag for 100 days, you only need to fill out an electronic application in a special form.
- At the autopsy and inspection: if the owner of the luggage did not show up within 5 days, the suitcase is opened, because personal belongings can help in finding the owner. If after 2 weeks the owner of the bag has not been found, it is sent to the storage warehouse.
- At auction: as soon as 100 days expire or 3 months the owner of the lost baggage is no longer searched. All such bags go to a special sale, where they are sold without opening. The initial price is very low, and the contents will be a surprise for the buyer. Such auctions are quite popular in Europe and America, because there is always a chance to buy a suitcase with valuables inside.
What if the airline lost baggage
- check in the oversized baggage claim area: non-standard suitcases, skis, strollers or sports equipment will wait not on the transport tape but in the special check-in area.
- contact Lost & Found: at each airport there is a service that deals with tracing baggage. It is easy to find by Lost & Found signs. Show the luggage tag, an identity document and fill out the application. It is important to describe the bag in detail and communicate special features.
- notify the airline: it will not be superfluous to go to the airline's check-in counter at the airport and check with them the procedure if the baggage is lost on the charter - start from this point.
- 3 weeks passed, and the suitcase was not found - it is time to submit an application to the airline for monetary compensation for the lost things. Here, photos of the contents, an inventory of things and saved checks will come in handy.
- a refusal from the airline came - we go to court, in such cases the judge usually takes the side of the passenger, the carrier will have to compensate for material and moral damage.
The suitcase is found in another city or country - the airline is obliged to transport it at its own expense and deliver baggage for free to the address indicated by the passenger - this is an international rule that all carriers comply with.
If the suitcase is lost and you find yourself in a foreign country without all your belongings, contact the carrier for compensation. Many international airlines in these situations allocate a small amount for essentials.
How to carry sports equipment on a plane: skiing, snowboarding, equipment.
If you are an active traveler, you have often come across questions about how to carry skis or diving equipment, whether it is possible to fly with a snowboard for free and how much it costs to carry a surf. We recommend that you resolve all these issues at the stage or immediately after purchasing a ticket, at the airport it will be multiple times more expensive and, in the worst case, will end up with a missed flight.Winter or summer equipment is not so important, we propose to solve the issue of flights with sports equipment using a simple and effective algorithm:
- try to fit into standard baggage: if the size of things allows you to squeeze into standard sizes and weight - we pack and fly,
- look for tickets from companies that transport sports equipment for free: such promotions are often held by airlines in season in popular destinations,
- inform the air carrier in advance that you are flying with sports equipment, indicating the dimensions and weight,
- pack your equipment carefully and reliably, better use special covers for transportation,
- do not forget that sports equipment is issued in the oversized baggage area, and not on a transport tape,
- traveling with your sports equipment is rarely cheap, but the experience is worth it.
Our main advice when flying: collect baggage, remove excess and once again remove excess!
So, from this article you will find out whether it is possible to carry an elephant-sized suitcase for free, why you will have to leave shaving foam for inspection, how to transport your skis to the resort, why you should learn to fly without things, where to look for the missing suitcase and who are the suitcase detectives.
There are no internationally established rules regarding mass luggage. Baggage allowance on the plane varies depending on the company whose services the passenger uses. However, all airlines have their own franchise system - the weight and amount of baggage that can be carried in the hold of the aircraft.
The amount of luggage depends on the type, booking class and route:
|By Masashi Yanagiya Flickr|
- 150 cm - the maximum baggage size for most airlines, calculated on the basis of the sum of three values,
- 20-32 kg - this weight range for low cost airlines,
- 1-4 - the allowed number of suitcases.
For security reasons, checked baggage is subject to certain restrictions.
- Companies that operate regular flights.
Allowed free baggage allowance depends on the reserved class of service and passenger status:
- Economy class - 1 baggage up to 23 kg.
- Economy Premium - 2 suitcases, each 23 kg.
- Business class - 2 luggage, each up to 32 kg.
- First class - 3 luggage, each up to 32 kg.
- The franchise of airlines making charter flights is about 15 kg.
Some companies charge weight luggage, including a deductible. Therefore, in order to avoid unpleasant surprises, it is necessary to clarify the permitted weight and fees for exceeding the dimensions of baggage. There are also loyalty cards in international airlines that allow you to carry things free of charge more than allowed, regardless of class of service.
It is forbidden to share weight restrictions.For example, if two passengers are flying, who can carry luggage of 15 kg each, in such a situation you cannot take one piece of luggage weighing 20, and the other - 10 kg. It is not allowed to combine weight restrictions - for two people of 15 kg you can not take a suitcase weighing 30 kg.
Many companies turn a blind eye to a common suitcase exceeding the weight limit for 1 person and rarely resent it, but you should be more careful and better to take an extra bag to transfer part of the cargo into it if problems begin and requests to pay for an excess.
Suitcases for children
|By colville-andersen flickr|
Baggage for babies is not allowed. If the child travels without a separate seat for less than two years, you can register for him:
- baggage weighing less than 12 kg and dimensions not exceeding 55x35x25 cm,
- checked packages up to 10 kg (for children's tickets).
Children between the ages of two years and older use the same standards as adults.
Children's transport (baskets for sleeping, strollers, car seats) can be taken on board as hand luggage, subject to free space. Different conditions apply to different types and types of devices:
- the stroller must not exceed dimensions 15x30x100 cm,
- folding equipment that replaces carry-on baggage must not exceed dimensions 55x35x25cm.
Otherwise, things are packed and checked in as checked baggage. Any transport must be packed in a case that completely hides it.
What can I take in the hold of the plane
As for the transportation of food products in the hold, they can be transported well packaged, in inextricable packages to prevent possible disasters (perishable and fragile goods are transported at the passenger's own risk).
Products of animal origin (meat, milk) may contain pathogens that are responsible for the transmission of infectious diseases, so their transportation must comply with the laws of the countries where they are imported.
Upon entering Russia, one passenger can carry a total of 5 liters of alcohol with a strength of less than 700 ° C. If the norm is exceeded, it is mandatory to have a receipt for its purchase, declare the goods and pay taxes.
On all domestic flights of the country, adult passengers without restrictions carry drinks with a strength of up to 240C. In some countries, the import-call of alcoholic beverages has its own rules, which can be changed and adjusted.
|By Sam Howzit Flickr|
Large animals must be kept in special air-conditioned areas of the cargo hold. Their transportation is carried out in a closed container of sufficient volumes for a particular pet, in which it is necessary to provide access to drinking water. Carriage charges apply.
Luggage that is associated with sports is called sports. It can be skiing, diving equipment, a bicycle. Usually such a cargo is very large and heavy, and most often transported in the cargo area of the aircraft. However, smaller items, such as a skateboard, are not allowed as carry-on baggage, as they can be used as percussion weapons.
For sports equipment that requires special packaging, additional fees apply. Transportation of sporting and hunting weapons must be recorded. Ammunition should be carried separately from the weapon, accompanied by appropriate permits.
Adjustable quantity of goods:
- Perfumes and aerosols should not exceed 2 kg or 2 liters per person and 0.5 kg or 0.5 liters apiece.
- Weapons - you can carry knives, ammunition less than 19.1 mm caliber, ammunition for hunting or sports and firearms up to 5 kg, subject to the requirements of the police and the laws of the country of destination. They need to be transported in one bag, but pack all the parts separately. Weapons must not be placed among the personal belongings of a passenger.
- Cartridges - provided that they are packed in a hard case. It should be stored in its original packaging and the entire space should be filled with cushioning material to prevent slipping.
Prohibited Baggage and Carriage Restrictions
Items that are forbidden to be carried in the hold of an airplane:
- explosive and incendiary substances, including mines, grenades, fireworks and other pyrotechnics, smoke-forming cans, dynamite, gunpowder,
- toxic, combustible, corrosive substances - gasoline, gas burners, lighter fluids, cooking fuel, flammable paints, solvents, aerosols (except for personal hygiene products),
- infectious substances - bacterial cultures, viral organisms, medical laboratory samples,
- oxidizing agents and organic peroxides,
- poisons - pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, arsenic, cyanides and others,
- magnetic materials - strong magnets,
- marijuana (hemp) in any form,
- organic matter - fiberglass, resins,
- radioactive materials.
Items prohibited in hand luggage and allowed for transportation in the hold as a registered baggage:
- sporting goods, including baseball bats, softball and cricket tools, hockey sticks, ski poles, cues, bows and arrows,
- knives - any length
- cutting tools - carpet knives and cutters, any devices with a hinged or retractable blade, metal scissors with sharp ends,
- firearms - pistols, shotguns, rifles, parts,
- paintball equipment
- tools - drills, saws, portable chain saws, screwdrivers, hammers, pliers,
- dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) up to 1.5 kg.