During the period of breastfeeding, a nursing mother is doubly responsible for the health of her baby. After all, her diet and lifestyle affect the quality of milk, which is the main food for her baby. Consider the main negative factors affecting breastfeeding.
What is contraindicated for a nursing mother during breastfeeding?
To begin with, I would like to note bad habits that are strictly prohibited during lactation.
- 1. Addiction to alcohol
Alcohol consumed by the mother freely enters the mammary glands in high concentration. Together with breast milk, the baby receives this poison, which creates a huge load on the baby’s liver that is not yet sufficiently developed. Alcohol is removed very slowly from the body of the baby, can cause serious intoxication. In the mother, while drinking any alcohol (beer, wine, etc.), lactation decreases. Learn more about alcohol.
Nicotine penetrates into milk almost instantly after smoking a cigarette. It has a high toxic effect on the baby's organs. Learn more
- 3. Poor body hygiene
If a nursing mother neglects water procedures, especially with regard to the mammary glands, then the accumulated dirt and sweat create comfortable conditions for the propagation of pathogenic bacteria. In a breast-sucking child, sores, stomatitis, and other inflammatory processes can form in the mouth. When breastfeeding, you can not use perfumes, deodorants with strong fragrance, as they clog the pores of the skin, and an intense smell provokes the baby to refuse to breast.
- 4. Increased nervousness and stress
A mother who is breastfeeding should avoid emotional shocks, strain, nervous shocks, because all this leads to a decrease in lactation. And with constant oppression and an unfavorable situation in the family, milk in the breast can disappear altogether.
- 5. It is categorically forbidden to use narcotic substances!
The need for a proper diet while breastfeeding
There is a relationship between a woman’s diet and breast milk quality. Useful and harmful substances from the products that a woman eats during lactation, pass into breast milk, which is the main food for the baby.
The chain is as follows: the foods eaten are digested in the stomach and intestines, the nutrients enter the woman’s bloodstream and with it into all organs, including the breast cells, and from there enter the milk. To a certain extent, the mammary glands are a filter, and not all unwanted substances come from the blood into milk. And yet, a woman to some extent feeds the child with what she eats herself.
It is important to have good nutrition during lactation, not only for the baby, but also for the woman herself, because during this period the body is restored after pregnancy and childbirth, and its reserves are also spent on the formation of milk. In the postpartum period, a woman’s susceptibility to various diseases is increased, allergies can occur, intestinal microflora are disturbed, and improper nutrition provokes such conditions.
Any illness of the mother is reflected in the quantity and quality of breast milk, and in the mood, well-being of the child, very dependent on her mother. A strict diet followed by a nursing mother can result in the baby being picky about food, so that all restrictions must be reasonable, not excessive.
Find out if bananas are hardened or weakened by breastfeeding here. Exotic fruits for breastfeeding.
List of products that are harmful to all nursing mothers
Proper nutrition of the nursing mother and optimal drinking regimen are extremely important. All these components affect the quality and quantity of milk.
The list of prohibited foods during breastfeeding is quite extensive, but with some caveat. Conventionally, products can be divided into those that cannot be lactating in the first months of a newborn’s life, and those that are strongly not recommended at all during lactation.
Here's what is forbidden when breastfeeding:
- Toxic and exciting drinks. Everything that mother eats passes into breast milk. Alcohol and tonic drinks are no exception. The decay products of alcoholic beverages are extremely toxic and the underdeveloped liver of a child cannot cope with such a load. In addition, the energetic stimulant effect on the nervous system of the mother, then what about the baby. Strongly brewed tea and coffee also fall on this list. Do you want to sleep at night after work?
- Soda - the entire periodic table in one bottle (excluding mineral waters). Not only that, the composition includes all kinds of chemical dyes, sweeteners, stabilizers and emulsifiers, there is just a huge amount of carbon dioxide. This is more likely to cause diathesis and colic in the baby.
- Fatty meat, fat. Fat contains a large amount of saturated fatty acids, which are difficult to absorb by the fragile body of the child. This can provoke an upset digestive system of the baby.
- Smoked meats and sausages. These products contain many preservatives and various harmful additives. And for smoking, manufacturers very often use artificial liquid smoke. You understand that this will not add health to mom and baby.
- Fried foods. Frying is dangerous because, under the influence of high temperature, vitamins and nutrients contained in the oil are destroyed. They turn into toxic compounds with carcinogenic properties. It is equally harmful for mom and baby.
- Fast food. There should be no question about this meal at all. Such products contain a significant amount of fat, carbohydrates and, most likely, GMOs. Of course, it will be delicious, but the baby’s tummy is unlikely to thank you.
- Mushrooms are very heavy food for the stomach. And besides, mushrooms can easily be poisoned. In general, pediatricians do not recommend children under five years old to eat mushrooms. Diet during breastfeeding excludes mushrooms.
- Marinades and pickles. Here, of course, a moot point. If canned food is home-made and you are one hundred percent sure of their quality, then you can eat a little. But only a few months after the start of feeding. If the product is purchased, it is better to refrain. Firstly, you will not be sure of their freshness (if you took, for example, granny from the market), and secondly, preservation of factory-made products contains a lot of vinegar, hot spices and other completely unwholesome substances.
What you can not eat nursing mother
Regarding the nutrition of a nursing mother, there is a certain list of foods that are undesirable for consumption during the lactation period.
Personal video greetings from Santa Claus
- legumes (peas, beans, lentils): they cause bloating in infants and provoke severe colic,
- sharp, bitter, too fragrant plants and vegetables (capsicum, garlic, onions), even in the composition of dishes they make the taste of milk unpleasant and the baby may refuse to breast,
- sweet confectionery and chocolate (rolls, muffins, cakes, pastries), they cause fermentation in the tummy, which hurts the baby with an immature intestinal tract,
- citrus fruits (oranges, tangerines, lemons) can cause a strong allergic reaction in a baby,
- red berries, fruits and vegetables (red apples, watermelon, strawberries, tomatoes) due to the content of beta-carotene can cause allergies, peeling of the skin, rashes,
- seafood (squid, shrimp, mussels) is also quite a strong allergen, so when breastfeeding it is better not to risk it and not to eat them,
- drinks: sweet carbonated soft drinks (bloating), tea and coffee (increased irritability), alcoholic cocktails (poisoning and intoxication), unboiled milk (pathogenic bacteria) - all this while breastfeeding can cause the baby anxiety and malaise.
But there’s an even more important list of that you absolutely can not eat with breastfeeding. These products should not be in the diet of a nursing mother until the end of the period of breastfeeding, they can cause serious harm to the baby:
- Mushrooms (can cause severe poisoning)
- Smoked meats and sausages (high in fat and artificial additives),
- Ready sauce mayonnaise (milk powder, vinegar),
- Chili pepper (can burn the baby's larynx even through milk)
- Pickled pickles (danger of pathogenic bacteria),
- Fast food products, fast food.
Take your diet seriously while breastfeeding. Let your baby get the maximum benefit along with milk, then his health will be strong to the joy of young parents.
Additionally, read the article on what you can eat a nursing mother - grocery list.
About fruits during breastfeeding and about vegetables (which ones can, which cannot).
Do you want to be the first to read our materials? Subscribe to our telegram channel
What you can’t eat a nursing mother - product list
A lot of products that are normally perceived by the woman herself can cause allergic reactions in the form of a rash, diarrhea, as well as respiratory tract spasm, which threatens life, in a baby who is breastfed.
A number of products cause indigestion, gas, and colic.
Some have an adverse effect on the nervous system.
Finally, there are foods that simply give milk an unpleasant taste.
Therefore, any mother is interested in such questions as - what is strictly forbidden to eat a nursing mother, what can not be eaten in the first month after childbirth and what to eat so that there are no colic. Consider the list of prohibited foods for breastfeeding:
- Alcohol - The first taboo for a nursing mother. It contains dangerous toxins that cause brain cell death, it is very dangerous for the immature liver of the newborn, and for all other organs. Children of drinking mothers may experience drowsiness, lethargy, delayed weight gain, and mental and motor development retardation. The younger the child and the lower its weight, the slower the excretion of alcohol from the body, and the dose that is harmless to an adult for an infant may be excessive.
- Strong tea and coffee - have an exciting effect, adversely affect the nervous system. If it is difficult to refuse these tonic drinks, use only weak ones, preferably with the addition of milk. And it is better to switch to herbal teas that promote lactation and do not have an exciting effect.
- Onion garlic, seasoned with spices, spicy dishes - affect the taste of milk. The main danger is not even that the child will remain hungry, not wanting to drink milk with a specific taste, but that he may refuse to breast. In addition, spices can cause indigestion, vomiting.
- Chocolate, exotic fruits, especially citrus fruits, fruits with orange, red color, crayfish and shrimp - the most famous allergen products. What is dangerous allergens for the baby, as mentioned above. Products that cause allergies in the vast majority of people, it is better to completely exclude from the diet, so as not to provoke it. Highly allergenic products also include:
- gourmet seafood, oily fish, caviar,
- fatty dairy and dairy products, cheeses, especially sharp,
- pickles, marinades, canned food, sauces containing preservatives, spicy foods,
- smoked meats, sausages, eggs,
- wheat, semolina, oatmeal,
- nuts, peanuts, exotic dried fruits, honey, caramel, products containing flavorings and colorings.
- Carbonated drinks, especially lemonade. Carbon dioxide contained even in mineral water causes fermentation processes, bloating, and can provoke gas colic. And all kinds of soft drinks, sweet soda also relate to allergens due to the high content of preservatives, flavorings, colorings. Juices should also be treated with caution, if possible, using freshly-made fresh juices, rather than store-bought ones. Juices with bright colors - tomato, orange, red grapes, red apples can also be allergens.
- Sugar and sweets, legumes, brown bread, grapes. Like carbonated drinks, they stimulate fermentation and gas formation. Cucumbers, white cabbage, apple peels are also notorious as products that provoke colic and indigestion. If a child normally responds to their presence in their mother’s diet, they can be eaten, but in moderation.
- Fatty foods. Fatty varieties of fish, dairy products have already been mentioned among allergens. Fatty meat and fat should also be avoided by nursing mothers; the saturated fatty acids they contain increase the fat content of milk and are poorly digested by the baby’s gastrointestinal tract.
- Sweets, Butter Baking, bakery products, fatty foods are undesirable in the nursing diet also because they do not bring benefits, but can provoke weight gain. After childbirth, when hormonal adjustment occurs, and there is not enough time for sports, this can be a serious problem.
- Medications. A couple of words should be said about products that are not food, but the use of which by a nursing mother is also subject to restrictions. These are medications. Pharmacological drugs should be taken only if briefly necessary, the instructions usually contain information about the admissibility of taking this drug during lactation. Sometimes it is recommended to take the drug only if the expected therapeutic effect exceeds the possible harm to the body, and only a doctor can decide this.
The main principles of nutrition in hepatitis:
- As few restrictions as possible! Most often, it is diet restrictions that are harmful to the health of mother and child, and not its variety.
- The diet of a nursing mother in composition and quantity should be as close as possible to the diet of a normal healthy person, leading a healthy lifestyle.
- If you do not know if a product that you intend to eat can harm a child, think about whether it can harm an adult who is worried about his health? If you find that the product is safe, then most likely it will not harm the child in any way.
The first 10 days of breastfeeding
The list of allowed foods that can be eaten up to 10 days includes:
- baked and boiled apples,
- cereals - boxes, buckwheat, oatmeal, rice, millet,
- vegetable, cereal soups,
- green tea, chamomile, with fennel, rosehip broth,
- creamy natural butter (maximum 15 g.),
- vegetable oil,
- white meat (chicken).
What you can not eat nursing mothers
During breastfeeding, mothers need to remember that the baby’s digestive system is not perfect. The wrong approach of a woman to her diet will lead to serious problems in both the newborn and herself.
Together with breast milk, substances that provoke a strong allergic reaction in the baby, bloated tummy, and diarrhea get into the baby’s body. It is unlikely that such a prospect will please a young mother. Therefore, some products, despite their benefits, should be temporarily excluded from the diet. At least until the child reaches six months.
Why you need to rethink your diet after giving birth
Eat right recommend not only pregnant or lactating.All people need proper nutrition, without exception, because proper nutrition is the key to health and longevity. However, special attention should be paid to lactating women, because they feed not only themselves, but also the baby.
During pregnancy, the baby receives nutrients through the umbilical cord. Being born, the digestive system of the child adapts to the surrounding world and the ongoing changes. Therefore, the proper nutrition of women during feeding is so important.
The child eats those foods that his mother eats.
All the food eaten by the mother, in a certain form, passes into breast milk. Therefore, the diet of a mother who is breastfeeding should consist of a balanced and complete set of products. The well-being of the baby, its development and health for years depend on what and how the nursing mother eats.
Hypoallergenic diet rules
In addition to products that are highly likely to cause allergies, there are many not so pronounced allergens.
Meat by-products, potatoes and legumes, green bell peppers, apricots, watermelons, currants and cranberries, biscuits and bread rolls fall into this intermediate category between allergens and hypoallergenic products.
They need to be introduced into the diet at first a little, and to control the reaction of the child.
Until the baby is 3 months old, mother should not even use potential allergens of moderate activity. The rules for expanding the diet of a nursing mother are largely similar to the rules for introducing complementary foods. A good habit is to keep a food diary, which reflects the mother’s diet, especially innovations in it, and the reaction of the baby.
To introduce new products that can cause allergies, you need no more than two a month, waiting 2 weeks for a possible reaction. In terms of allergic reactions, the fruits that grow in your area are most safe.
For allergies in infants
The list of foods that can not be eaten by a nursing mother includes dishes that cause an allergic reaction in a child:
- All citrus fruits cause a very strong reaction in infants. Remove oranges and lemons, as well as all overseas exotic.
- Seafood contains very strong allergens, it is better to abandon their use for a while.
- Vegetables, berries and red fruits (tomatoes, strawberries) contain a coloring pigment carotenoid, which can cause redness, peeling, itching of the skin in the baby.
- Spicy, bitter, fragrant condiments and spices can trigger allergies. And the child may refuse to breast, as they give the milk a specific aftertaste.
- Chocolate, despite its beneficial properties, is quite allergic, therefore it is advisable to refuse it for a while. Read to whom and when you can gradually introduce chocolate during lactation.
Up to 3 months
After 10 days, you can add to the menu:
- from sour milk - you can eat cottage cheese, fermented baked milk, low-fat kefir, yogurt,
- fish (baked in the oven, steam, boiled),
- eggs (no more than 1 pc per day),
- black or gray bread,
- boiled and baked potatoes,
- pasta (may be in small quantities),
- cheese (mild varieties),
- vegetables (boiled, steamed, stewed),
- spicy greens (dill, lemon balm, parsley),
- dried fruits except raisins and dates,
- oat, lingering, biscuit cookies, bagels, crackers.
With gases and colic
If the baby suffers from increased gas formation and colic, foods that cause fermentation in the intestines cannot be eaten during breastfeeding. These products include:
- Fresh, pickled, canned vegetables and fruits. Before use, they must be boiled or baked.
- Baking, cakes and any confectionery. Yeast and sugar provoke strong flatulence in the baby. Therefore, do not get involved in pastries and sweets.
- All legumes (peas, beans, etc.) also cause severe bloating, so they can not be eaten while breastfeeding.
- Whole milk. If the baby has lactose intolerance, milk will cause increased gas formation, diarrhea, or vice versa, severe constipation.
- Rye bread. Contains fiber, which provokes increased gas formation. Therefore, it is undesirable to eat such bread during lactation, it is better to replace it with whole-grain dried bread.
After 3 months
Starting from the third month, the list of allowed products is increasing.
You can start eating:
- borsch, seasoned not with purchased tomato paste, but with pasteurized tomatoes or tomato juice,
- vegetables, homemade fruits and berries seasonally boiled or raw (peeled, membranes and seeds),
- walnuts and almonds that increase the fat content of breast milk,
- quail, chicken, beef,
- compotes, pitted, juices, fruit drinks,
- from sour-milk products you can eat sour cream, which positively affects the fat content of milk,
- homemade jam (plum, apple, pitted cherry).
Food Choice Rules
The main criteria that a mother of a newborn should be guided from the moment of his birth to a month old:
If possible, it is better to eat vegetables grown in your own garden or on farmers who do not use fertilizers. Then you can eat almost any fruit or vegetables - they will not cause allergies in the child.
The list of prohibited products for the menu of a nursing mother is quite impressive. However, a woman should not be discouraged. After all, if you think about it and weigh what is more important for us: a tasty meal or a baby’s health for many years. The answer will be unequivocal - the health of the child. Therefore, nursing mothers for the period of breastfeeding should abandon the following products.
Nursing mom's diet and baby's age
The first month of breastfeeding is especially important, and the nutrition of a lactating woman during this period deserves close monitoring. Whole cow's milk, sour cream, rich broths, raw vegetables and fruits, fresh white bread, raisins are undesirable in the first month, and prohibited in the first decade after delivery.
A hypoallergenic diet and minimizing bloating (gas, flatulence, colic) are especially important for the first 3 months. Do not introduce fried foods into your mother’s diet until the baby is six months old.
On the proper use of tablets to stop the lactation of Dostinex. Finish feeding painlessly and safely.
Can Nurofen be breast-fed? The instruction is here. How to deal with a cold in the GV.
The following link provides information on how to increase breast milk lactation using folk remedies https://zdorrov.com/uhod/gv/kak-uvelichit-kolichestvo-grudnogo-moloka.html. Rules for successful lactation.
What you can not eat a woman with breastfeeding
The list of prohibited foods that can not be eaten in the postpartum period includes:
- whole milk,
- rich fatty broths,
- raisins (even in baked goods),
- Do not drink instant coffee and black tea. They cause colic and disturb sleep,
- raw thermally unprocessed vegetables, including apples and bananas. You can’t even eat boiled cabbage,
Forbidden products (for 6 months of breastfeeding) include:
- Alcohol. Some young mothers believe that drinking a glass of beer or red wine is not at all dangerous, but on the contrary, the tributaries will increase and the baby, after eating, will sleep peacefully. This cannot be done. Alcohol is 100% absorbed into the bloodstream and into the milk. The liver of the baby is underdeveloped and will not be able to neutralize the decay products of ethylene. Alcohol directly enters the brain, central nervous system, kidneys, heart, and gastrointestinal tract, causing irreparable harm. In addition, the baby will fall asleep before eating.
- Chocolate, pastries, condensed milk, lollipops with dyes, carbonated drinks, lemonade.
- Coffee (you can replace it with chicory or barley drink), milkshakes.
- Semi-finished products, canned food, marinades.
- Crackers, chips, nuts in bags with flavorings and salt - when breastfeeding they can’t be eaten even in small quantities.
- Spicy spices that affect the taste of milk: horseradish, mustard, onion, garlic.
- Lard, fatty meat, sausages, balyk, ham, sausage.
- Fermented and sharp cheeses (brynza, Adyghe, suluguni, smoked) are not allowed.
- Legumes: lentils, peas, beans will cause colic, bloating and diarrhea.
- Smoked, dried, salted fish and steamed meat.
- You can not eat exotic fruits, excluding bananas.
- Radishes, radishes, raw and pickled cabbage - weaken, cause colic and bloating.
- Dairy products should be limited. There is still an opinion that a woman with natural feeding should consume a lot of milk to increase the nutritional value of milk. But this is not true. Whole dairy products are allergic to lactose in your baby. When heated, milk proteins are not destroyed and store a danger to the baby, threatening him with intolerance in the future.
With constipation in the baby
Constipation in a baby is manifested by difficulty in emptying the bowels or in general lack of stool for 1-3 days. Mom urgently needs to revise her diet, perhaps she ate what she was fastening. The list of foods that cause constipation in babies:
- rice, semolina (especially polished rice),
- unripe bananas
- hard cheese of fatty grades,
- cool eggs
- whole milk,
- strong broths from any kind of meat or fish,
Be careful when choosing products. Weigh the pros and cons before you eat what you doubt. In order not to scold yourself for a moment of weakness.
Vegetables and fruits, of course, are needed by the mother’s body - they are sources of nutrients, and also contribute to the normal functioning of the intestine, positively affect the state of the immune system, some improve the quality of milk and enhance its production. However, enriching them with the mother’s table, which breast-feeds the baby, should be careful, excluding those that could cause potential harm to the health of the newborn.
In the first months after childbirth, most of the plant's natural gifts should be consumed after heat treatment (steaming, cooking, baking).
During the formation of HS, vegetables and fruits in the diet of mothers should be pre-processed thermally
When choosing products for your table, a nursing mother (especially in the first month after giving birth) should pay attention to the color of the products. Pigmented red fruits and vegetables are more likely to cause allergies than their green counterparts. This applies to apples, pears, apricots, raspberries, cherries, cranberries, etc.
No matter what kind of vegetable or fruit mom introduced into her menu, you need to monitor its effect on the baby’s condition and digestion. In the first month after birth, you can include boiled potatoes, zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli in your diet. From the second or third month - carrots, beets, pumpkins. Baked apples (green) and raw bananas in small quantities are also allowed from the very birth of crumbs (more in the article: how to cook baked apples in the oven for nursing mothers?).
Table: Prohibited foods on a lactating woman's menu
|1||Fatty Meat, Fat||The fatty acids contained in the products are poorly digested by the newly-formed gastrointestinal tract of the newborn, increase cholesterol, and lead to constipation|
|2||Convenience foods: dumplings, cabbage rolls, pasties, etc.||For the preparation of these dishes, low-quality products are used, and their taste is improved with food additives.|
Any "chemistry" in the menu of a nursing woman can negatively affect the baby in the form of allergies and poor health
|3||Pickles, preservation, smoked meats||Almost all recipes contain a lot of salt, spices and seasonings, which adversely affect the baby’s health and can cause not only allergies, but also other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract|
tomatoes, red bell peppers, red apples, pomegranate, apples (strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, etc.).
|Due to the red pigment in these products, which is a strong allergen, food from red products is prohibited|
|5||High fat dairy products and whole milk||The proteins that make up whole milk are practically not broken down by the baby’s immature digestive system, and fatty milk products increase cholesterol and cause constipation.|
|6||Chocolate, sweets and sweets||Sweets contribute to the appearance of colic and diathesis in the baby. The composition of chocolate includes caffeine, which causes anxiety in the child. The baby becomes excitable and sleeps poorly.|
|7||Onions, garlic, seasonings and spices||The essential oils that make up onions and garlic affect the taste of breast milk, as well as seasonings and spices. This can provoke a baby's rejection of the breast.|
|8||Butter baking||The yeast in the test provokes increased flatulence in the baby, abdominal pain, stool disorders and allergies.|
|9||Grapes, Beans, Cabbage, Cucumbers||Cause increased gas formation in the baby|
This list goes on and on. However, each has its own body and the reaction of each person will be different.
The main thing is to eat only fresh and natural products.
Based on my own experience, I can say that all the requirements for strict admission of products are exclusively advisory in nature. After all, the body of any person is individual. Each woman should choose her rational menu, suitable for her and the baby. My first-born was born in April, and he was two months old for the strawberry season. Although the berry is red, I tried one at a time. We had no allergies, and we stocked up with vitamins contained in strawberries for a year. The same thing happened with tomatoes. At the time of their maturity, the child was four months old. Naturally, I began to try only our homework, to exclude the addition of fertilizers and chemicals. We do not have allergies to tomatoes either. Therefore, if you are confident in the quality, from the second month you can try beets and legumes, but a little bit. The main thing is not to get involved.
The diet of a nursing mother is very important, because they depend on it:
- quantity and quality of milk,
- recovery of the female body after pregnancy and childbirth,
- disease resistance
- the formation of food habits of the child.
The calorie content of food consumed by a woman during lactation must be increased by 300-500 calories, but not due to sweets, baking, fats.
A woman's nutrition should be as complete and varied as possible, but some foods should be avoided.
The blacklist includes:
- gas inducing foods, indigestion,
- tonic drinks containing caffeine,
- products with a specific taste and smell, spicy, spicy,
- high fat foods.
Mom's diet should be expanded gradually, controlling the child’s reaction to new dishes, the first 3 months of the restrictions are more stringent, so you should study the list of what you should not eat to the nursing mother. The diet of a nursing mother forms the food preferences of the child, and strictly restricting herself during breastfeeding, the mother risks growing up a fickle, so that all prohibitions are good in moderation.
When breastfeeding, mothers should be careful about products that they include on their table. It is not only a list of permitted products that do not cause gas formation, anxiety and colic in a newborn. In the heat it is necessary to monitor the cleanliness, safety and freshness of food. It happens that the products included in the list of allowed, which mom ate calmly during pregnancy, after childbirth, weaken and cause allergies in infants.It can be manifested not only by a rash, itching and irritation, but by a greenish stool, diaper rash, crusts on the head. As a result, the baby worries, cries, often and abundantly burps. You should find out which product provokes a similar reaction.
Sometimes it is quite difficult to identify an allergenic product. One baby will calmly transfer a red apple, and the other will feel discomfort from boiled meat. Everything is very individual here and mom should herself track the product that is harmful and prohibited for the baby. Some babies sometimes just do not absorb the part of the food included in the maternal menu. They experience bloating, gas, diarrhea, or constipation. Such products need to be calculated and temporarily removed from the menu.
Mom’s nutrition during breastfeeding, if the baby is absolutely healthy, should be natural and complete. If you want to increase the fat content of milk, you can include nuts, sour cream, cereal soups, cream in the diet. A lactating woman needs to eat foods enriched with vitamins and proteins, limiting the intake of carbohydrates and fats. Fruits, berries and vegetables should be included in the mom's menu, but here you need to carefully monitor their effect on the baby. For example, grapes, plums, apricots and pears weaken and can cause bloating and increased gas formation. You need to start their introduction in small slices, peeling.
Important! In order to track the reaction of the baby, you can have a notebook. Enter in the compiled list when and which products were introduced. If the reaction is normal - there is no rash, colic, frequent spitting up and anxiety, the product can be safely consumed. If the reaction is extremely negative, mark the date of its introduction, underline in red and try again after a few months.
Official medicine believes that eating a woman who is breastfeeding a child is unthinkable without animal proteins. This question is controversial, but for those who are used to eating meat, to refuse it during lactation is pointless, if not harmful. It is believed that for the baby, a suitable protein will be one that is extracted from poultry meat (preferably turkey, because chicken can cause allergies), a rabbit or a calf.
In any case, the meat is boiled or stewed. Why is it not possible to fried while breastfeeding? Proteins and vitamins with this type of cooking are very quickly destroyed, but there are more than enough carcinogens in fried foods - they are harmful not only for the baby, but also for the mother. It is also better to refuse to prepare food based on meat broth for a nursing mother up to 3-4 months.
Breast-feeding mothers can be recommended low-fat varieties of fish - pollock, zander, hake or flounder. It is believed that they can slightly affect the taste of milk, especially for flounder or mackerel. However, there is no evidence for this. Well-known GV consultant, Natalia Razakhatskaya, claims that there is no direct connection between the consumed food and breast milk, because it is formed not from food products, but from the constituents of blood and lymph.
Seafood and caviar can cause severe allergies, in this sense squid is considered the safest, but it is recommended to introduce it into the diet only closer to six months. In addition, seafood is easy to poison - fish, if you eat it, should be fresh. You can cook it, as well as meat products, by cooking and stewing.
It is also better not to cook fish broths for the same reasons as meat broths. Fisheries use the same antibiotics and hormones.
Strongly prohibited foods, powerful allergens for babies
Under the strictest ban during all breastfeeding are alcoholic beverages and cigarettes, which contain dangerous carcinogens and toxins. These harmful substances freely pass into breast milk from the mother’s blood. And if a single case, a drunk glass of wine or a smoked cigarette does not cause a serious blow to the child’s health, then regular abuse of alcohol or cigarettes will negatively affect the mental and physical development of the baby.
Fast-food dishes, chips, salted nuts and popcorn are also categorically prohibited. These products have high calorie content and a concentration of "chemistry", which will definitely do more harm than good for the health of the mother and baby.
This also includes sweet carbonated drinks, as they contain a high content of sugar and dyes. Therefore, it is highly likely that they will cause allergies and colic in the baby.
By the ability to cause food allergies in a child, all products can be divided into three groups:
- High risk of allergic reactions:
- milk, eggs,
- fish, seafood,
- wheat, nuts, honey, mushrooms, soy,
- citrus fruits, strawberries, strawberries, raspberries.
- The average risk of allergic reactions:
- beets, carrots,
- apricots cherry
- dairy products.
- Low risk of allergic reactions:
- cauliflower and white cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, corn,
- millet, pearl barley,
- rabbit meat, lean pork, turkey, lean lamb,
- green varieties of pears and apples, garden greens, white and red currants, gooseberries.
Strongly prohibited foods in the diet of a nursing mother
Highly Allergenic Products
The effect of allergens on a fragile organism is extremely dangerous not only by anxiety and rash, but also by the occurrence of atypical neurodermatitis and eczema, which can develop into a chronic form and remain with the child until the end of life. As a result, he will have to be treated for a long time with pills and folk remedies that will adversely affect the pancreas and intestines.
In order to limit the baby from unpleasant consequences, the following products can not be included in the menu of a nursing mother before six months:
- Vegetables and fruits in bright red or orange. Everyone knows the principle of “traffic lights”: red - “forbidden”, orange - “carefully, but you can”, green - “allowed”. Peppers, red apples, pears, carrots, beets and berries during breastfeeding are consumed in boiled or steamed form. Flocks about fruits and GV.
- Citrus. It is advisable to first avoid their use, and then carefully enter into the diet, monitoring the reaction of the crumbs.
- Protein products. Whole milk, eggs, fatty meat, lard. The body of the newborn can not cope with their absorption and can react not only with a rash, but also with bloating, diarrhea, constipation.
- Sweets. Confectionery shops replete with allergenic cookies, cakes and sweets will have to be bypassed. Chocolate and in adults causes an allergic reaction, not to mention infants. Honey should also be tolerated for the first six months. An exception may be home-made halva, which will increase the fat content of milk.
- Carbohydrates. Excessive consumption of starch and sucrose will lead to colic, discomfort, anxiety of the baby.
- Seafood. Squids, herring, mussels, caviar, shrimp - all this contains preservatives that can cause severe allergies.
Cereals, especially during the first month, form the basis of the diet of a nursing woman. The most useful for mothers and their babies during breastfeeding are buckwheat and oat. Permitted are corn (inhibits the process of decay in the intestines) and wheat. But the beloved by many rice groats displays useful trace elements and is not recommended for constipation. One of the significant advantages of these cereals is their low allergenicity and high safety.
Conditionally Approved Products
The list of allowed products for the menu of a nursing mother depends on the age of the child. The most strict, in terms of choosing products for a nursing woman, is the first month. Then gradually the menu will be replenished with more and more new products and by the sixth month, mom will enter her usual food schedule.
If a woman led a correct and healthy lifestyle before pregnancy and childbirth, then a nursing diet will not be a burden.
Proper diets are useful for both mom and baby: eating healthy foods, the woman manages to lose weight, but the baby, in turn, develops normally.
Oksana, 33 years old, nutritionist
Milk and Dairy Products
Milk and dairy products - a storehouse of easily digestible protein, contribute to lactation and normalization of digestion. Regarding the use of milk in the first month after birth, the opinions of experts differ. Some categorically do not recommend whole cow's milk, while others still offer to drink it, adding to weak tea to increase lactation, but limit the amount to 200 ml per day.
Cottage cheese, like all fermented milk products, must be fresh, it can be consumed no more than 150 grams per day. You can drink liquid sour milk no more than 800 ml per day (kefir, fermented baked milk, bifilin, yogurt, acidolact, etc.). The fat content of such products should not exceed 2.5%.
Tea with added milk is believed to improve GV. Since this fact has not been scientifically proven, it is still not worthwhile to focus on the use of dairy products for a nursing mother in the first month
Table: allowed products on the menu of a nursing woman
|1||Whole cereal porridges: buckwheat, oat, pearl barley, barley, wheat, corn||The whole grain structure retains absolutely all trace elements, vitamins and nutrients. Refined cereal is only a solid fruit, which after processing loses a huge amount of these nutrient fibers, fats and antioxidant elements. Together with the removed shell, it loses fiber, a significant part of vitamins and minerals, and with the germ - phytonutrients (plant substances - lignin, phytic acid and antioxidants). These cereals rarely cause allergies. Rice porridge is not recommended, as it can fix. Porridge is boiled on water, since milk is a strong allergen.|
|2||Low-fat meat: rabbit, veal, turkey||The meat is rich in protein, which is so necessary for the restoration of the mother's strength after childbirth. It also strengthens the immune system, nourishes the body with energy and vitamins.|
|3||Fish: pollock, cod, zander, pike||Fish is also rich in protein, and unlike meat, it is also easily digested. Contains fats in a special form and minerals: iodine, selenium, phosphorus and calcium|
|4||Low-fat dairy products: kefir, yogurt, fermented baked milk, cottage cheese||The main thing is that it nourishes the body with calcium, which is very necessary for the growing body of the child and the nursing mother, and also improves digestion. Strengthens the immune system, resists the appearance of infections, viruses and fungi. Positive effect on lactation - improves the composition and increases the volume of milk. It is preferable to use home-made fermented milk products, since the store contains a large number of dyes and food additives|
|5||Soups: meat and vegetable||Very healthy food. First, the vegetables in soups are boiled, and secondly, the additional amount of liquid that a nursing woman needs so much|
|6||Vegetables: potatoes, cauliflower, zucchini||Raw vegetables to eat a nursing mother, especially in the first months of feeding, is not recommended. We eat steamed or baked|
|7||Fruits: bananas, apples and dried fruits: prunes and dried apricots||The first months, especially the first week, give preference to baked fruits, as well as pay attention to color: green - you can eat, yellow - with caution, red - not allowed. Prunes and dried apricots help fight constipation, which often plague women who have given birth.|
|8||Dried black bread, dried cookies, crackers||It is not recommended to eat freshly baked bread and pastries, as they can provoke flatulence, heaviness and colic in mother and baby. Yesterday's or dried bread, when the activity of the yeast has decreased, is very useful. Thanks to the complex carbohydrates that make up bread, moms quickly recover after childbirth. When choosing crackers and cookies for a nursing mother, you need to pay attention to the composition. For mummies, crackers and cookies without seasonings and additives are suitable. A wonderful choice is crackers made of white bread and biscuit cookies.|
|9||Drinks: compotes from dried fruits or apples, special herbal teas for nursing mothers, weak tea, boiled water||A woman should drink a lot during lactation (2.5 liters per day). You can’t drink whole milk (it causes increased gas formation), carbonated drinks, soft drinks and yogurts with fruit and berry fillings (can cause allergies), coffee and strong tea (increase the child’s excitability), alcohol. Compotes and juices are not recommended for industrial production - they contain many preservatives and other harmful artificial additives.|
Healthy nutrition pyramid of a lactating woman
Products with the following action are not recommended for mothers who are breastfeeding their baby:
The list of these products is quite large, especially in the first month after birth. So, potential allergens may be:
- tropical fruits and citrus fruits,
- red fruits and vegetables
- caviar, seafood and oily red fish,
- chicken eggs
- cocoa beans and coffee,
- whole cow's milk
- crayfish and crabs.
What foods are not recommended for nursing mothers? Of course, those that can cause maximum damage to the baby’s health due to their toxic properties: alcohol, vinegar, all kinds of fast foods, foods with dyes and preservatives, smoked meats, spicy, salty, fatty and fried foods and spices. It is better to exclude these “little joys” from your table for a nursing woman for the entire period of breastfeeding, they will affect both the body of the newborn and the baby 4-6 months old.
Watermelon, in spite of its ability to stimulate milk production, is better not to eat (we recommend reading: is it possible to eat watermelons while breastfeeding?). Firstly, this berry is able to act as an allergen, and secondly, it accumulates nitrates and urea, which unscrupulous farmers stuffed with watermelons.
When you feed your baby, it is not recommended to eat confectionery pastries and sweets, any products containing cocoa beans and coffee because of their stimulating effect. For the same reason, you do not need to drink strong teas (black and green).
What method of heat treatment is not recommended for nursing mothers and why
We figured out the foods that you can eat for a nursing mother. Now the important question is cooking. We bought fresh and high-quality products so that they bring benefits, not harm, you need to cook them correctly.
The best ways to prepare foods for a nursing woman are:
Nursing women are forbidden to eat fried foods.
Frying is the most dangerous way to cook food not only for menus of nursing women, but for all people.
Food cooked in a pan in a large amount of oil is always very oily.
Reasons to refuse fried foods:
- Fatty food. Excess fat leads to serious problems:
- Vascular disease.
- Problems with heart.
- Oncology risk.
- Carcinogens. They are found not only in superheated oil, but also in the crisp crust of potatoes, donuts and other starchy foods that have been fried in vegetable oil for a long time. Carcinogens enter the body not only directly with food, but also in the cooking process, when we breathe in vaporizing fumes.
- Free radicals. Food is fried in vegetable oil, which has its own combustion temperature. Reaching it, the oil begins to smoke, which is a poison for the human body.Also at high temperature in the oil chemical reactions occur during which free radicals are released. This leads to the following diseases:
- Cancer development.
- Diseases of the immune system.
- Skin diseases.
- Diseases of the nervous system.
- The complete lack of nutrients. Frying foods is carried out at high temperatures, which provokes the death of all nutrients and vitamins. Therefore, fried food becomes not only useless, but also harmful.
- High concentration of harmful substances, which is also called the AGE index. The vessels are the first to be negatively affected. Then it leads to the following diseases:
- Alzheimer's disease.
- Kidney disease.
Another piece of healthy nutrition: minimal heat treatment. With each reheating, food loses a significant proportion of biologically active substances.
Women's magazine "Beautiful and Successful"
Summary table of healthy and unhealthy foods
Dr. Komarovsky notes that the nutrition of a pregnant and lactating woman does not differ significantly. Therefore, the main principle of introducing foods into the diet is consistency - i.e. Sample a new product once every 3 days.
We have prepared a table of proper nutrition for mothers, it can be taken as the basis of the daily menu:
|It is impossible||Carefully||Can|
|In the first month|
|1 to 3 months||Can add: ||Can add: |
|3 months to six months||Can add: |
|From 6 months||Can add: |
Another useful table is a balanced diet of a nursing mother:
|Fats||Carbohydrates||Vitamins and minerals||Beverages|
|sour milk (without additives) - 500 ml||butter - 50 gr||coarse bread and pastry - 200 gr||vegetables (zucchini, potatoes, pumpkin, cauliflower, eggplant) - up to 800 gr||green tea - up to 500 ml|
|milk (in the absence of allergies) - 200 ml||sour cream - 75 gr||cereals - 200 gr||fruits and berries (not brightly colored - red, orange) - up to 500 gr||dried fruit compote - up to 500 ml|
|low-fat cottage cheese - 150 gr||vegetable oil - 20 gr||juice from green apples and pears - up to 200 ml|
|cheese - 40 gr||still water|
|low-fat meat (beef, rabbit, turkey) - 150-200 gr|
|fish (zander, cod, hake) - 150 gr|
Why is not recommended spicy and sweet with HS
Spices and hot spices such as ginger, garlic, cinnamon, black pepper, chili pepper, curry are very difficult for the baby’s digestive system. They can cause not only diarrhea and vomiting. Such breast milk can even burn a tender baby’s stomach and cause intoxication. Therefore, up to 3 months, all sharp spices and seasonings are strictly contraindicated for mom. And in the future, when breastfeeding, you should not get carried away with spices and seasonings, as due to improper nutrition of the mother, children suffer from colic and severe pain in the abdomen.
Spices and hot spices are not recommended for use while breastfeeding.
Most women after childbirth have an acute desire for sweets and it is no accident. A woman’s body spends a lot of energy on milk production, and sweet helps to restore the level of carbohydrates, which are responsible for a surge of strength, energy and improving the emotional state. However, do not get involved in sweets. After all, this is a colossal load on the baby's body, on all its organs and systems. Sweet can cause a baby's allergies, colic, bloating, gas and other digestive problems. And when you consider that in the manufacture of sweets, manufacturers use preservatives, dyes and food additives, it becomes immediately clear that it is not worth talking about any benefits of sweets in the menu of a nursing mother.
But allergies and digestive problems in crumbs are not the only problems because of which it is better for a nursing woman to give up sweets. Sweets are harmful to the health of women. They can provoke such diseases:
- the risk of obesity,
But don't be upset. Sweets, chocolates, muffins and other shop sweets just need to be replaced with homemade baked goods. And instead of sweets and chocolate, eat dried fruits. Dried apricots, prunes, dried pears or apples are suitable.
In the menu of a nursing woman, candies and chocolate should be replaced with dried fruits. They will bring health benefits to the mother of the baby
Shop pastries can be replaced with homemade dishes. So we can not only diversify the menu of a nursing mother, but also add healthy and tasty products. It should be noted that yeast dough can cause colic in newborns and bloating. Therefore, during breastfeeding, lactating women exclude yeast dough products from their diet.
Non-yeast cookies - pastries allowed by a nursing mother during breastfeeding.
When preparing homemade cakes, you can use such a simple recipe.
Immediately after childbirth and during the establishment of breastfeeding, a woman's body loses a large amount of fluid. This loss must be made up for. Modern pediatrics recommends that instead of the prescribed 1-1.5 liters, drink a volume of liquid, based on its own weight - 40-45 ml. per 1 kg. Before feeding, for half an hour, you can drink 1 cup of warm water to stimulate lactation.
What can a nursing mother drink in a place of water? Compotes based on dried fruits (prunes and dried apricots), apples and pears, a rosehip broth, herbal moods or a weak hour with milk are suitable. However, the latter is recommended to be included in the diet after two months. You can also use jelly and fruit drinks (but not more than 1 cup per day).
Dough recipe for savory foods
Products necessary for making dough for savory foods:
- two glasses of kefir,
- two glasses of flour
- half a teaspoon of salt
- half a teaspoon of soda,
- two tablespoons of sugar.
Dough preparation process:
- In a large bowl, mix kefir, salt, soda and sugar.
- Gradually pour flour so that no lumps form.
- Mix until smooth.
- Leave on for 15 minutes until bubbles form.
Ready dough can be used to make pizza or pie. The filling can be any, but only from the products allowed to the nursing woman.
Table: how quickly food passes into breast milk and after how much is excreted
|Product||Time to pass into breast milk||Milk withdrawal time||Note|
|Fat and sugar||after 10 minutes||in 30 minutes||A child who receives too much sugar may not always properly digest it.|
|Allergens||dairy||after 40-50 minutes||3-4 hours||Allergens cause the release of histamine and can cause rashes in a child.|
|flour||after 40-50 minutes||12-15 hours|
|vegetable||after 40-50 minutes||6-8 hours|
|Alcohol||after 3-5 minutes||from 2 hours to several days||The withdrawal of the substance depends on the amount drunk, the strength of the drink, the weight of the woman and her metabolism|
|Medication||The time is indicated in the instructions for the drug. In the chest, the medicine appears at the same time as in the blood. To determine when the medicine is withdrawn, you need to find in the instructions the half-life of the drug from the body. The higher the concentration of the substance in the blood, the more it passes into breast milk.|
All substances harmful and beneficial enter the bloodstream from the small intestine. Thus, the food eaten by a nursing woman passes into the small intestine, then into the bloodstream, and from there into breast milk. Until the food is digested and passes into the large intestine, all substances from it will go to the child.
Therefore, if a nursing mother ate a prohibited product, you need to weigh the pros and cons of giving such breast milk to the baby. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the time after which the prohibited product enters the milk and after how much is excreted.
For example, if we drank an antibiotic, then of course it’s better for the baby’s health not to give him such milk. And so that lactation does not disappear, mom needs to express herself during the course of treatment. If you eat something forbidden dairy, then after 4 hours, when the product is excreted, you can feed your baby breast milk.
If there is a need to use a prohibited product, then it is better to do it immediately after feeding the baby. Then the withdrawal time of the product before the next feeding will be longer, and the child will get less harm from such a product.
General recommendations for nursing mothers, the main principles of nutrition during breastfeeding
Proper nutrition is the key to health and longevity for all people, without exception. Lactating women pay twice as much attention to proper nutrition, because they feed not only themselves, but also the baby. With mother’s milk, the baby receives the necessary nutrients, milk strengthens the baby’s immune system and helps to adapt to the outside world. The baby’s well-being, its development and health for years depend on the diet of a nursing woman.
A healthy baby, who is regularly applied to the breast, and a mother sleeping at night, who does not get nervous and does not twitch over the little things, contribute to the production of enough milk to a much greater extent than all drinks, all food and medicine combined.
Handbook of sane parents. Part 1.