Any silver product begins to darken over time, of course you can send the product for cleaning to a jewelry salon, but you will have to pay money.
Today we will look at one of the most efficient ways to clean silver at home. I have a friend jeweler who shared this method with me.
We will need any plate or bowl.
We take out the food foil from the kitchen cabinet.
Wrap the bowl in foil, like this.
We put the products in a bowl with foil.
We also need baking soda.
We fill the silver items with soda.
We take any dishes and add two teaspoons of salt.
Pour boiling water, about 0.5 liters and mix thoroughly until the salt is completely dissolved.
Add saline to a bowl of soda and wait 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes we get the product, the water will become dirty.
Rinse with detergent under warm water.
And we get a guaranteed result, now your silver items will shine like new!
Why does blacken (darken) silver
Factors affecting the formation of black plaque:
- direct contact of silver with detergents or caring creams,
- sweat secreted by the body causes darkening of the body cross, bracelets, pendants, chains,
- storage of things in a room with high humidity and other unsuitable conditions.
How to clean silver from black at home to shine
1. Ammonia solution
The tool allows you to effortlessly clean the noble metal. The ammonia solution is suitable for silver items without inserts. Preparation of the composition is performed in the following sequence:
- Connect 10 ml of ammonia and 500 ml of water together. Achieve a homogeneous consistency. Pour the finished composition into a shallow container, for example, a ceramic bowl.
- Put precious things in the composition for 15-20 minutes for exposure to the product.
- Remove products from the container, remove black particles with a paper towel.
2. Tooth powder
- Dampen a clean cloth, apply a teaspoon of powder on it.
- With smooth movements to conduct on the metal until the blackness and the appearance of radiance,
- Rinse the cleaned item with cool water and pat it dry with a paper towel.
During cleaning, all movements should be light, you can not exert strong pressure. Silver is a rather brittle metal, it can easily be damaged and scratched. The careful attitude guarantees the durability of the product.
If special means were not available, then ordinary soda is useful for effective cleaning of jewelry. The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Stir a tablespoon of soda with water until a thick slurry is present.
- On the fabric base, smear the resulting slurry and wipe the products with it until the black coating disappears.
- At the end of cleaning, rinse and dry the item with a paper towel or towel.
4. Citric acid
The following components are taken:
- 100 grams of citric acid,
- a piece of copper is medium in size.
Combine the acid with water, send it to a water bath, throw a copper piece of wire into the solution and continue heating until the liquid boils. Dip the item in the finished composition and let stand for 15 minutes.
At the end of cleaning, rub the item to a shine with a soft cloth.
1. Soap solution
The easiest way to clean silver at home is with a light soap solution. It will not help from serious stains, but it will wash away everyday dirt and remove minor darkening. To do this, immerse the rings and earrings in a cup of liquid, and after 15 minutes, wipe them with a soft toothbrush.
Properly clean silver with stones from black
1. When cleaning jewelry with stones, you need to consider some subtleties. It is best to use professional mixtures to achieve the best effect.
2. If this mixture did not appear, then you can cook a solution consisting of 20 g of soap shavings, 230 ml of warm water and 5-7 drops of ammonia.
3. Mix all components with each other, send to heat, avoiding boiling. Moisten a toothbrush in the resulting slurry and process the decoration with inlaid stones.
4. A cotton swab dipped in the composition, carefully walk through the area immediately next to the stones.
It should be noted that independent cleaning of jewelry with amber, pearls, or corals can lead to damage to the product. Care for such things is best left to experienced jewelers.
How to clean silver with gilding
Silver with gilding can also darken and blacken, therefore, it needs regular care.
Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a glass, send the jewelry there. For the fastest effect, you must wait 15 minutes, and then remove the remnants of dark particles.
Orthophosphoric acid is present in the drink, therefore it is suitable for cleaning jewelry. Pour soda in a container and put jewelry in it for 30 minutes. Coca-Cola effectively breaks down plaque, giving the instrument a radiant, beautiful appearance.
Gilded silver can be soaked in a sugar solution, which is prepared from two tablespoons of sugar and a glass of warm water. In the prepared composition, the decorations are aged 3-4 hours. Then the jewelry is removed, rinsed with water and polished with a suede fabric until a noticeable shine.
Only dark beer is suitable, which should be poured into a bowl and put decorations there. After 15 minutes, remove, rinse and wipe with a rag of suede.
Separate the protein from the yolk, moisten a cotton swab in it and process the areas with blackness. Wash off the protein and dry the product.
Clean Pandora Silver
If the bracelet is darkened, then you can clean it yourself. To do this, you must have a solution based on water and soap or any other cleaning agent, a soft cloth and a terry towel.
The product must be disassembled into parts and dipped in a warm solution. After 10-15 minutes, proceed to washing the jewelry. Using a toothbrush, carefully remove blackness from the bracelet and charms.
To remove the remains of dirt and body fat from small openings of jewelry with a napkin.
Special jewelry cleaners also do their job well. In the absence of this tool, it is enough to perform the above steps and then the jewelry will delight with its radiance and brilliance.
How to clean a silver chain and a cross from blackness
Food foil gives positive results in the fight against plaque. It contains aluminum, which reacts actively with silver sulfide (sulfur compound), which will destroy the black film.
Apply foil as follows:
- Put a sheet of foil on the bottom of the bowl. Fill it with water 3-4 cm high from the bottom edge.
- Introduce 2 tablespoons of soda. As a substitute, citric acid is suitable.
- Put the jewelry in the dishes.
- Heat the container for 3-5 minutes.
- Extract contents. Increase heating time with insufficient effect. Repeat processing.
Potatoes will gently remove black spots without causing scratches. To do this, the root crop must be crushed into a slurry and pour water, so that it covers the mixture. Put the precious metal there. Remove the chain and cross, rinse and pat dry with a dry towel.
A high concentration of acid in 9% vinegar effectively removes black deposits on jewelry. After preparing all the necessary materials, they go directly to the procedure itself. Cleaning is carried out as follows:
- A flap of fabric is impregnated in acetic acid and the thing is treated. The method is recommended for partial plaque.
- If the product is too heavily plaque, then vinegar is poured into the bowl and a chain or a cross is placed there. Stand for 2 hours. Rinse in water and dry.
How to clean table silver when blacking at home
The following proven tools will help cope with blackness.
Corn starch paste will add radiance to dishes. To cook it you need:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of starch with water.
- Apply a composition with a damp cloth to a dark area with a coating.
- Leave as it is until dry.
- Work out the area with gauze or a hard towel.
- Take two pieces of chalk.
- Crush the chalk to a powdery state.
- Add water, mix the composition.
- Lubricate them with cutlery.
- Clean well with a napkin, rinse dishes with warm water.
Tip. To preserve the brilliance of silver, a couple of pieces of chalk should be stored next to the cutlery. It will absorb excess moisture, which affects the darkening of the metal.
3. Window cleaning fluid
With a solution for washing windows, sprinkle a sponge and treat it with a spoon with dark spots. For greater effect, dip the devices in the composition and hold for about 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and wipe.
Ordinary washing gum will well remove plaque from silver. It is enough to walk the eraser on the surface of the cutlery. The effect will become more noticeable after washing and drying the silver items.
Any lipstick that is not a pity to use is suitable. Lip gloss will not bring the desired effect, unlike lipstick. If the “gubnushka” is too old, then it is necessary to increase the exposure time to 10 minutes.
Lubricate the thing with lipstick, after 5 minutes walk with a dry cloth. Relief decorations are much harder to clear from deep plaque.
What to do so that silver does not blacken
In order not to resort too often to metal purification from blackness, due attention should be paid to the storage of the product, as well as the following points:
- do not store silver in places where heat is actively generated, and also avoid direct sunlight,
- silver items must be packed in special paper and put into a casket,
- Do not allow the products to touch during storage, so as not to spoil things,
- during cleaning or other heavy manual labor, it is necessary to remove all silver items in order to prevent damage caused by contact with silver of corrosive chemicals,
- Before taking a shower or bath, it is recommended to remove all jewelry in order to avoid getting excess moisture on them,
- regularly clean jewelry with special and improvised means,
- Do not throw jewelry on the floor or table, as they may be damaged.
Silver will stop delivering chores if you learn how to properly store and care for it.
How to do
Apply toothpaste to a brush or sponge or directly to products. Polish for a few minutes. You can add some water. Rinse off the paste and wipe the silver.
- Aluminum pan (required)
- 1-2 tablespoons of salt,
- soft cloth.
Fill a small aluminum pan with water about a third or more. Boil the liquid and dissolve the salt in it. If the pollution is strong, you can take more salt.
Dip the product into the solution for a few seconds. If necessary, increase the time slightly, but do not boil silver for more than 2 minutes. Rinse the cleaned items and wipe with a cloth.
Fill the pan with water. Put on a high fire and throw the crumpled foil there. When the liquid boils, pour the soda in parts.
Place the silver in the pan so that it touches the foil. Depending on the contaminants, cleaning will take from a few seconds to 2-3 minutes. Wipe the updated items with a cloth.
Cover the heat-resistant container with foil. Pour in boiling water and dissolve soda.
Put the silver and keep it inside until the dirt goes away. If necessary, turn the product so that it touches the foil from different sides. Then wipe them with a cloth.
- 1 glass of water
- 2 tablespoons of ammonia
- 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide,
- soft cloth.
Dissolve ammonia and peroxide in a bowl of water. Dip the silver into the resulting composition for 15 minutes. Then rinse the items and wipe dry.
How to clean silver jewelry with stones
- Sapphire, emerald and aquamarine are high-density gems. Cleaning will not hurt them, no matter what method you choose.
- Opal, malachite, turquoise and moonstone are not so dense: abrasive substances can scratch their surface. Therefore, choose mild detergents or baths.
- Ruby, topaz and pomegranate cannot be cleaned in hot water: they can change color from high temperature.
- Products with amber, pearls, coral or ivory should be cleaned by a specialist. These materials are very sensitive to acids, alkalis and any solvents.
Why is it getting dark
Usually, the color change of a silver jewelry is the result of chemical reactions that act on the surface of the thing. If you use some tricks, then this layer can be removed, and the previous appearance will return. Therefore, in order to learn how to clean such jewelry at home, you need to understand the reason.
Why Au metal products are plaque dark:
- Contact with skin that secretes substances (through sweat glands) that can react.
- Storage in an excessively damp place.
- Frequent contact with cosmetics or perfume.
The product will remain attractive for longer if you do not expect its noticeable contamination, and carry out cleaning procedures regularly. Especially if it is often used, adheres to the skin or undergoes other chemical influences.
How to get rid of unwanted color and plaque: ways
To choose how to clean silver at home, you need to rely on the following factors:
- The presence of other store chemicals.
- Time. Sometimes at hand there is no necessary jar from the supermarket. Then, if the product suddenly turns black, you can try to act on your own.
If it all comes down to the use of folk methods, then there are a number of ways to clean silver jewelry at home.
Pour water with soda and foil paper
There is more than one way to arrange these ingredients. But to get a decent effect with persistent, long-term pollution it is better to follow the instructions:
- Heat the water to a state of boiling water, a lot of liters, half of this volume is enough.
- Mix in 50 grams of soda, dissolve.
- In a dry pan, put a sheet or half-folded piece of foil.
- Put products requiring cleaning on it.
- Pour half a liter of boiled water with soda.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
Since it is not always possible to clean silver from black at home the first time, it is recommended to repeat the procedure in advanced cases. After the first and second times, you should rub the decoration with the soft side of the sponge or cotton cloth, dishes to remove the remaining black from the surface.
How to clean silver: popular methods
I want to wear my favorite jewelry 24 hours a day and not take it off, but silver items begin to darken over time. This can occur under the influence of soap, skin care products or banal high humidity. Cleaning silver jewelry at home will save your beloved rings and bracelets and restore their original appearance.
The procedure does not take much time, and the number of options is extensive.Liquid for cleaning silver can be bought at the store, or prepared from improvised means. Some of them are already at your place, others will have to run to the store. Professional cleaning products cost money, but at the same time, they guarantee almost 100% results. After that, you only need to look after the jewelry, avoiding the repetition of history.
To remove blackness from silver 925, it is not necessary to go to a jewelry store; you can use soda, ammonia, peroxide, vinegar, and the like. It will help clean a silver chain, bracelet, ring or cross, citric acid, toothpaste and even Coca-Cola!
Since purifying silver at home is not easy, you should try several options in case of primary failures. The point is the chemical effect of various substances on the product, which means a different result. Therefore, if you put lipstick on a darkened area, rub it, then rinse off with a cotton pad, the place is cleaned.
This is due to the presence of titanium dioxide in the composition, and for polishing there are fatty components. It is cleaned by carefully wiping the surface from traces of lipstick, so as not to stain clothes during subsequent use.
Cleaning with foil and soda
You can clear silver with soda and foil in a few minutes. This recipe is considered one of the fastest and most effective. First of all, you need to boil water, add soda to it (50 g / 1 liter of water). After boiling, pour a darkened decoration on the solution. Due to the chemical reaction of silver sulfide with soda and aluminum, blackness will disappear in a couple of minutes. After that, the decoration will only have to be wiped dry. This is the most effective silver cleaner. It is important to remember that it is impossible to use dry soda in any case, it will only spoil the metal.
Another way to restore jewelry to its former gloss is to wash silver with a solution of ammonia with water. Ammonium chloride is considered an excellent solvent, it will help to better clean silver from plaque or dirt without damaging the product itself.
Pour water into a small container, add ammonia in a ratio of 1 to 10, put jewelry and leave them for 30 minutes. If after half an hour it was not possible to return the shine to silver, you need to hold it longer in the solution. After the procedure, it remains only to wipe the rings, chains or bracelet dry. Brushing silver with ammonia at home is very simple and quick.
Hydrogen peroxide cleans silver well, but its use can lead to unexpected results. The fact is that a substance can both oxidize and reduce compounds. In one case, when using peroxide, you will get a lightened product, in the other - a decoration with a plaque or spots. It all depends on the amount of impurities in the composition of the silver product. Silver can be cleared of blackness with peroxide with the addition of ammonia, but in this case, you must act with extreme caution. It will be best to check the product in a small area of the product, if it has brightened - the procedure can be continued.
If you soak the darkened silver products in vinegar - you are unlikely to achieve a good result. Previously, 6% vinegar should be warmed up, but it is unlikely that you will like the smell. If you still decide to wash the old silver, which is blackened, yellowed or oxidized by this folk method, bring the liquid to a temperature of 50 degrees. You can bleach silverware in 15-20 minutes. After the procedure, all items must be thoroughly rinsed and wiped with a dry cloth.
Someone manages to clean silver with tooth powder. This is not the worst way, but very time consuming. You will have to lighten the jewelry manually, armed with a brush. Toothpaste for cleaning silver is suitable if there are no more effective means at hand. The advantage of this method is that it allows you to very quickly remove dirt and deposits from small products.
Cleaning silver with Coca-Cola is one of the most exotic and radical methods. The drink is considered a good solvent and absorbent. Cola need to boil and boil contaminated products in it for 5-7 minutes. You can just throw the jewelry in a glass with cold cola and leave for several hours, this method should also work. After that, the silver should be washed with water and wiped.
Try the vintage egg yolk method
For this method, you need a chicken egg, yolk should be separated from it. Having mixed it in a separate container, it is necessary to put liquid on a little thing and leave until completely dry. The mixture will harden and, when removed, will “take” with it an extra deposit from earrings or a ringlet.
This has been done for centuries to clean silver at home from black and not damage the jewelry. But this is not obtained in every case, sometimes it is necessary to resort to the creation of a chemical reaction in order to return the appearance of the product to its original version.
Apply ammonia solution
Ammonia solution is one of the most popular ways to remove black from jewelry in jewelry stores. This is how to clean silver at home is always quick and affordable. Necessary:
- Find a container and pour about one liter of water there.
- Add there 2 tablespoons of ammonia (aka ammonia solution).
- Sometimes, for a greater effect, silver is cleaned at home with the addition of hydrogen peroxide. Gives a good result and soapy foam.
- Put jewelry there and leave for 15-17 minutes.
- After removal, a fleecy cloth must be used to remove any remaining particles.
If the result has not left full satisfaction, we clean in other ways available to every housewife at home.
Addition of one of the active substances
With the help of citric acid, you can both clean silver at home and use it for other household and food purposes. Her need gr. 100 for two glasses of water, put in a water bath. Then silver gizmos are immersed in the solution together with a wire of copper.
The cleansing process requires continuing to boil for about 15 minutes so that the plaque comes off easier. But after removal, be sure to thoroughly rinse the products under running water. Such cleaning of silver at home often cleans the surface better than many other methods.
It is also often effective to wipe jewelry with pre-heated 6% vinegar with a cotton pad or fleecy soft cloth. Sometimes boiling silver in ordinary Coca-Cola or a similar soda helps to clean silver at home from black, substances in the composition remove excess coating on jewelry.
You can clean silver with GOI paste, but remember that this is a very troublesome and dangerous method. This is a special tool for polishing silver jewelry; it can be purchased in specialized stores. GOI paste is applied to a piece of cloth moistened with gasoline (this is done so as not to scratch the surface of the product). Silver is handled very carefully and patiently. It takes a lot of time, but the result is worth the effort.
- Be sure to carefully clean the surface from the rest of the mixture after any of the procedures. It is especially important to pay attention to this if it is cutlery or jewelry in contact with the skin. Otherwise, the risk of irritation increases.
- If the question arose of how much and how to clean silver at home, then you need to look at the degree of pollution. Sometimes for prevention it is enough to wipe with warm vinegar, and an old piece of jewelry will require repeated procedures or tests of different approaches.
- It is not recommended to use a hard cloth to wipe the gizmos after soaking, digesting, so that there are no scratches. But synthetic materials will be ineffective, because the best option is microfiber rags. They are sold in household chemistry departments next to rubber gloves.
- If cleaning silver in one way did not bring satisfaction, before starting another option, you need to rinse the product, get rid of the remnants of the previous mixture. This is reinsurance in case of an undesirable chemical reaction, because sometimes Au metal is not the only ingredient in the alloy, so the manufacturer could save and not inform the buyer.
- Since silver can be cleaned from black in different ways, it is better to choose the least aggressive option for the first time if the coating is not multi-layered. However, foil and soda often work in practice in very advanced cases.
- You need to look at how much silver you need to whiten from black at home relative to the total volume of the product, as well as whether there are other materials on it. Sometimes the methods of caring for silver jewelry are not suitable for other materials - stones, leather.
Valuable gizmos tend to darken, but under certain circumstances this process is accelerated. It can be postponed if you follow simple principles:
- In order not to think about how to clean silver at home shortly after purchase, you should take care of proper storage. The place should be closed, where hydrogen sulfide in oxygen does not have constant access.
- When wearing, it is important to remember about short contact with the skin, as it gives off unwanted moisture. If you need to wear for a long time, then it is worth cleaning and drying the place of contact, so that you don’t have to think about how to clean silver at home.
- Based on the foregoing, it should be concluded that during physical exertion, sports should remove jewelry from such material. Similarly, with the period when the body has an elevated temperature, more moisture is released.
- To clean silver from black at home, due to the effects of cosmetics, you need a lot of work, it is better to wipe the jewelry clean and wipe dry after each contact.
- It is worth choosing pure alloys, mixed versions turn black faster.
Everyone who has silver products in use must know how to clean silver at home. To do this, you can use the tools available in most kitchens or first-aid kits in the world: soda, vinegar, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide and so on. To enhance the effect, they are assembled with other metal objects: foil, copper.
When there is a dilemma about cleaning silver at home, you need to follow the logic and not overdo it with abrasives (enzymes, metal sponges). It is also worth considering the different side effects of different drugs.
How to clean silver with stones
You can clean silver rings with stones in a jewelry salon or at home. You should focus on the density of stones. Aquamarine, emerald and sapphire can be cleaned with washing powder, laundry soap will help remove grease and dirt from malachite, moonstone, opal and turquoise. Silver earrings with ruby or garnet stones should not be lowered into hot water. It is important to carefully and carefully clean jewelry with inserts: do not damage the insert itself and do not loosen the fasteners. Products with amber, coral or pearls should be washed with slightly warm soapy water. Aggressive cleaners can destroy the structure of the stone.
How to clean worn silver
Rhodium is a noble metal of the platinum group, which in some cases is covered with silver jewelry, thereby giving them shine and durability. To clean the worn silver at home, you can use special liquids for cleaning jewelry, napkins or a velvet rag soaked in warm water. Helps to remove impurities from rhodium-plated silver baths with soapy water; the jewelry is dipped in water for several minutes. Someone prefers to wipe such products with cotton swabs dipped in glycerin. If all of the above methods do not help, it is better to take the jewelry to a jewelry workshop. Specialists will restore the wired coating by the galvanic method.
Cleaning blackened silver at home
Blackened silver is rarely seen in jewelry stores, but it is full of flea markets and grandmother's chests. A touch of antiquity will give the product a nobility, but a coating of dirt and dust - not really. Black silver can be cleaned with soda with salt and a cleaning agent, an ordinary school eraser or ammonia with crumbled chalk. There is no guarantee that the product will regain its original sheen, but will look much fresher and cleaner.
How to clean blackened silver
When cleaning such products, be careful and delicate so as not to damage the unique top coat. A soap-soda solution will help you: soak silver in it for 20-30 minutes.
And here is another effective way. Peel a few potatoes, put them in a bowl of water and add your decorations there. After 3-4 hours, remove the silver and rinse with water. If the plaque is not completely removed, erase it with a rubber eraser.
What to do to keep silver from getting dark
To make silver shine brighter, follow simple but effective recommendations:
- Store in a dark, dry place. And it is better that they do not touch each other.
- Remove rings and bracelets before wet cleaning, taking a bath or shower, and applying cosmetics.
- Wipe dry silver as soon as possible.
Tell us in the comments about your experience in cleaning silver at home.
Life hack: How to clean silver from black
Click "Paste" to add the article to your website or blog.
Darkness, of course, is a friend of youth, but if we are talking about table silver, it is better to get rid of such a friend. It is possible to remove black from silver at home or in the workshop, using household and professional chemicals. We figure out how to clean silver from black so as not to feed jewelry stores and greedy craftsmen.
Why does silver turn black?Oh, everything is simple: evil eye, spoilage. Joke. The reason for this is sulfur, or rather, hydrogen sulfide, which leaves sulfide on silver products. There is always a certain concentration of hydrogen sulfide in the air - in particular, due to automobile exhaust gases - therefore collectors keep silver coins in airtight boxes and albums.
The main sources of sulfur in the apartment are ordinary natural gas, some products (onions, eggs, fish caviar) and substances, such as rubber or plastic. Silver can darken rapidly due to cosmetics or drugs containing sulfur, such as sulfuric ointment, olimetin, corn. Even if there is no direct contact with sulfur, the metal will receive its portion with sweat.
The causes of darkening can be different. Not every plaque on silver is necessarily sulfide, it can be oxides of copper contained in the alloy, and exposure to ozone. Finally, ordinary dirt, densely "sagging" on a grease base. Dust and soil are cleaned with water and soap. Soot, wax, and grease are removed with solvents such as ethyl alcohol or white spirit. What remains is already chemical compounds: sulfides, oxides, chlorides, etc. Here you can try folk remedies or professional chemistry like sodium thiosulfate or thiourea.
But you need to start cleaning silver with thorough washing in a warm soapy solution. For efficiency, add a few drops of ammonia and a spoonful of soda.
Why can spoons blacken sharply?Indeed, we don’t wear them around our neck (what kind of contact we can talk about later), and indeed we can not use them for years. The reason for the darkening can be improper storage, improper care, and a changed environment. Perhaps cutlery lay for a long time on plastic, next to a gas stove, household chemicals, and a garbage can. Or you washed them in a dishwasher and did not even notice how the silver went dark, since the patina in this case will appear in a day or two.Or, after cleaning using aluminum or special chemicals, the devices with soap were not washed in distilled or at least running water. High humidity also speeds up the patination process.
READ ON THE TOPIC ...
With a silver spoon: How to enjoy antique dishes longerSilver turned black. How to clean in five minutes?So, silverware has become obscene obscenely over the year, and guests are on their way. What to do? There are several quick ways to clean silver from black. All of them are suitable for not very valuable products, since they involve the use of albeit soft, but abrasives. The most effective material is white toothpaste without additives. Squeeze it onto a silver product and gently wipe it with your fingers or a soft toothbrush. Wash in warm running water with soap. Powders such as toothpaste or soda clean brilliantly. But together with the coating, they also remove the metal layer, leaving micro-scratches on its surface. Such devices are more difficult to polish, and now they will darken faster. It is especially unpleasant to wipe a silver-plated or gold-plated product to “holes”. If the appliances are not too pathetic, you can remove them from black with silver and soda, but not dry, but wet (gruel) - so you minimize damage. Do not use bleaches and other products with chlorine: they will only accelerate tarnishing.
How to clean silverHow to clean silver from black in 10-20 minutes?If time permits, it is better to use milder liquid products - ammonia and hydrogen peroxide. The weak blackness on silver leaves after only five minutes of soaking in a 10% solution of ammonia and a couple of drops of detergent. But remember that ammonia vapors are hazardous to health, so it’s best to have surgery on an open balcony. Instead of ammonia, a 3 percent solution of hydrogen peroxide is also suitable. Or so: in two parts of peroxide (3%) - one share of ammonia. Silver tableware can also be cleaned using a solution of citric acid (100 g per 0.5 l of water) or a 6% solution of vinegar. They act on different pollution (oxides, mold) - try it, it won’t get any worse. The principle is simple: they moistened a cotton swab, rubbed, if necessary, soaked the product for a minute. Tip: if you use acid, after cleaning, dip silver in a soda solution to stop the reaction.
READ ON THE TOPIC ...The couple said: 8 grandmother tricks for home care
I do not want to rub, vinegar does not help. What's next?The best way to clean silver at home without harming the metal is to boil in a soda solution (2 tbsp. Soda per 1 liter of water) with foil balls for baking. This is where aluminum comes in, taking sulfur from silver. The procedure can take from two minutes to half an hour. We take out the silver and wash it with soap. You can not boil it, but simply line the bottom of the glass container or the enamel pan with foil, add soda, put silver things in it and pour boiling water over it. After 10 minutes, it is worth checking how the plaque departs. Repeat until victory. Another long but effective way to clean silver is to use the power of starch. If you replace the boiling water in the previous recipe with potato broth, things will go faster. You can even put silver at night in a pan with finely chopped raw potatoes, drenched in water. This is the most gentle way, it can be used even for antique products.
READ ON THE TOPIC ...
Good question: How to clean silver at home
Is it possible to clean silver at home with special products?Of course. Jewelry and numismatic stores sell a lot of chemicals for cleaning silver and silver-plated things - solutions, pastes, sprays, wipes, etc. Popular brands - Leuchtturm, Silver Clean, "Flyurin", "Danialis", "Talisman", Silbo, "Aladdin."
Manufacturers promise that in addition to cleaning, these products create a protective film on the product. But there are also disadvantages. With all the variety of assortment, finding a suitable cleaner is not easy - most of the “special” products do not differ much in effectiveness from a solution of washing powder.
In addition, most of them are intended for cleaning jewelry: small banks are included in the sets, and it is unclear how to soak, say, a half-meter vase.
And if without chemistry? Can I clean silverware with ultrasound?Jewelry shops with pleasure will undertake to clean your blackened silver not only by chemical means, but also by "gentle" ultrasound. The method of cavitation (instant formation and collapse of bubbles) and vibrations wash not only jewelry, but also cutlery and even details of mechanisms.
You can’t do anything without chemistry: in the best case, dishwashing detergent or ammonia will be added to the bath, and in the worst, more powerful products. You can control this process if you purchase such a device for home use. Devices are actively sold by both European and Asian manufacturers.
The reviews are contradictory: they clean dirt well, sulfides and oxides - so-so.
In the bathtub measuring 30x15x10 cm, you can put only a small change in the dining room. But how, for example, to wash such a silver chandelier with ultrasound?
I had five in chemistry. And if reagents?Why not. Silver sulfide dissolves thiourea (thiocarbamide) - a substance used in pharmaceuticals, electronics and other fields. It is inexpensive, sold in radio parts stores. To clean the darkened silver you need to dissolve 2 tsp.
thiourea and 2 g of citric or phosphoric acid in 0.5 l of warm water. If the appliances or jewelry are completely black, increase the dose of thiourea (while it is being dissolved), add a spoonful of acid, pour 50 ml of vodka into the solution.
However, do not forget that the solution is still poisonous, so they should not breathe and you need to work with gloves on.
After such cleaning, the devices should be washed under running water and put in a cool soda solution (alkali extinguishes acid) for 5 minutes. Then wash again with water and wipe dry. After processing, white plaque may remain on silver - this is chloride, which is removed by ammonia (ammonia solution).
Strong silver solutions of sodium salts - hyposulfite or thiosulfate (3 parts of water per 1 part of salt) are also used for silver purification. A tampon is moistened with this solution and the blackened items are wiped. Salts are sold in pharmacies.
And my cupronickel turned black - how to clean it?The same folk remedies are suitable for cleaning cupronickel appliances as for silver. But only when it comes to pure cupronickel - an alloy of copper (up to 75%) and nickel. The modern cupronickel is most often made of nickel silver - an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc (look for the letters of the ISC on a spoon). Such devices are sure to silver to get rid of the metallic taste. Any powders are contraindicated for them, chlorine products are harmful. It is better not to boil the gilded and silver-plated devices - neither with soda, nor with foil, or with anything else. Such a procedure can damage a thin layer of precious metal. Of course, it is restored, but why feed the jewelers? To clean the nickel silver from blackness, it is recommended to wash the instruments in a warm soapy solution and then put them in a galvanized bucket of salt water for 3-4 hours. The plaque will begin to recede due to the work of the galvanic couple: zinc is oxidized, copper is restored.
Cutlery made of cupronickel and nickel silver must be thoroughly dried after washing - and then in a month they will remain just as brilliant. And so no household chemicals nearby!
My silver is not just blackened, but also turned green. How to clean?The lower the sample, the less silver in the alloy and more copper - oxidizing, it gives a green color. Copper oxide can be removed using a solution of Trilon B (10%) - a powder that is used in many industries - from medicine to battery recovery. After the green leaves the metal, you can use the entire arsenal of sparing silver products. Sometimes, on silver utensils found somewhere in the attic, there are brown spots - this is copper oxide. It is removed using 10 percent acid solutions - acetic or citric, as well as immersed in ammonia solution (5-15%). The last procedure without experience and understanding of the process is better not to do.
Achtung! On the Internet you will find a lot of interesting ways how to clean silver using hydrochloric and sulfuric acids, sodium sulfate and even hydrogen. Warning: using these substances without skill and at home is dangerous!
Do you need to clean blackened silver in the same way as regular silver?Much more delicate. It is undesirable to boil devices made of blackened silver, especially with soda: this harms blackening. Neither ammonia, nor acids, nor abrasives are suitable for cleaning them. Such silver can not be washed quickly and carefully, it will have to be soaked in a soap-soda solution or potato broth several times. It is acceptable to brush with a soft toothbrush in soapy foam.
Another thing is that under the guise of blackened silver, they often sell cheaper products in production, coated with an oxide film. It fades over time, it erases and there is nothing to be done about it.
When to go to the jeweler?Before you clean silver with ammonia and boil in an egg shell with toad skins, look at the year of its release and cost. Antique appliances and decor, especially with stones and filigree, it is better to immediately bring to a jeweler. The maximum that can be done at home is to wash them with baby soap and clean them with a soft brush (protein, columns). And the point here is not so much in reverence as in the incomprehensible state of the subject. The old does not mean durable, and if you can be calm with pure silver, then how other impurities (and they can be up to 50%) will react to acids and chemistry is unclear. If the coating on silver-plated devices is worn in places, it can be updated in a jewelry workshop . From a financial point of view, this will only be meaningful if the thing is very valuable to you. Perhaps you should not experiment at home with 925 sterling silver, if you are not on the Forbes list.
Finally, it is worth looking into the workshop if you are not satisfied with the result, but how else to clean the silver, you do not know. They have their own methods - firing, bleaching in a solution of sulfuric acid, passivation (applying a protective film), etc.
Is there a method to clean silver once and for all?You can completely stop the patination procedure only if you block the air access to the silver product. For spoons and forks, this method is available only in the Hermitage. It is possible to delay the appearance of blackness on table silver, if stored correctly, separately from other appliances, cosmetics, medicines and household chemicals. Ideally, in a case or casket. To prevent laundered silver from blackening, keep it in a dry place, wrapped in cloth, foil or parchment. If you are not going to use cutlery for several months, wrap them in cling film. But in this case, patination is a matter of time. If you regularly use silver cutlery, wash them at least a couple of times a month in a warm soapy solution with a few drops of ammonia, wiping it dry with a soft, lint-free cloth. Do not like the smell of ammonia - use a hot solution of drinking soda (50 g per 1 liter of water).
With the world in theory: How to organize storage in the kitchen?Is it necessary to clean silver at all?But this is a good question. If we are talking about decorative dishes, teapots, champagne buckets and other items with a history, then without patina they sometimes look like Boyarsky without a hat and a mustache. But the patina should be even, without spots and dirt. Black spoons with forks - of course, bad manners.
Good question: What dishes do children eat better from?
How to clean silver jewelry: chain, ring, cross, bracelet at home
Holders of silver jewelry often face the fact that the products fade and blacken. In this article, we will consider the 5 best tools for cleaning silver at home, but first we will examine the causes of darkening.
Silver darkens for several reasons:
- Interaction with air, which contains chemical compounds that react with silver. Most often these are nitrogen and sulfur compounds.
- Excessive humidity.
- Contact with the skin and sweat of a person, and in different people, the process of metal oxidation can occur at different speeds.
- Interaction with household chemicals, cosmetics and some food products.
- Low silver content in the alloy of which the jewelry is made. The smaller, the faster the product blackens.
How to clean a silver chain at home?
The blackened chain can be cleaned both in special workshops and on your own. There are specialized tools that allow you to clean the metal from blackness, but you need to be careful when buying, since cleaning products for gold are completely unsuitable for silver and vice versa.
An interesting way to clean silver from black plaque at home. Aluminum contained in the foil neutralizes the sulfur compounds of silver - sulfides, thereby destroying the black coating.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with foil and fill it with 3-4 centimeters of water.
- Dissolve 2-3 tablespoons of citric acid or soda in water
- Put a chain or other decoration in the pan.
- Wait for boiling and boil for 5 minutes.
- If necessary, increase the procedure time.
- Cut a sheet of foil, lay out a chain on it.
- Pour 2-3 teaspoons of salt and pour 1 tsp. water.
- Fold the sheet with an envelope and place it on the bottom of the pan.
- Prepare a soap solution from a teaspoon of grated laundry soap and a glass of water.
- Pour foil with a solution, bring to a boil.
- Set aside the pan, wait for it to cool, and remove the decoration from the water.
Tthird method (simplified)
- Take a deep plate
- Cut a sheet of foil so large that you can line the plate from the inside and bend the edges
- Put the chain in a plate and sprinkle with baking soda.
- Pour boiling water, wait 5 minutes
- Take out the decoration and rinse in clean water, wipe dry with a towel.
Attention! The ways in which the decoration is in boiling water are not suitable for products with stones.
To restore the silver chain shine, you can use soda.
- Pour soda onto a piece of cloth in the form of a strip,
- Put a chain on it
- Rub the decoration lightly without any special effort, as particles of soda can leave scratches on the product.
- Remove the chain by pulling it from the fabric, wipe with a soft cloth.
- Prepare a solution in the proportion of 3 parts of soda to 1 part of water.
- Rub the resulting gruel chain
- Rinse the product well and wipe dry with a soft cloth.
With a slight darkening, you can clean the silver jewelry with a rag dipped in vinegar.
If the blackening is stronger, fill the product with 9% vinegar and wait a few hours. Then rinse thoroughly with running water and dry.
Attention! You can not use vinegar essence, i.e. more concentrated vinegar.
You think, where does the lipstick to silver? And we are ready to surprise you, because this is one of the most effective ways to clean. The secret is simple: fats and titanium dioxide in the composition, which perfectly dissolve, clean and polish the metal. Just grease the silver jewelry with lipstick and rub them with a cotton pad or woolen cloth to creak.
4. Ammonium chloride and peroxide
A mixture of ammonia with peroxide 1: 1 is another classic recipe. It is enough to soak the silver in the solution for 15-20 minutes. We only recommend doing this in a tightly closed jar, otherwise you will have to enjoy all the “charms” of the pungent ammonia smell.
As for these components separately, we will reveal a couple of secrets:
- Ammonia in its pure form is suitable for cleaning silver and clouded stones. It’s not as effective as the mixture, but also not so aggressive
- But pure peroxide cannot be used - too strong whitening effect. There is a great risk of spoiling the decoration, especially if there are any impurities or coatings in the composition. A raid or turbidity may appear. This applies not only to silver, but also to other valuable metals.
Jeweler Tips for Cleaning Silver
Correctly cleaning darkened silver at home can be done without difficulty if the jewelry is not inlaid with stones or other inserts. Improper cleaning agent can destroy the structure of the stone and damage the fasteners. You can grate silver to make it shiny like new with a velvet cloth or special napkins, usually they are sold in jewelry workshops. There, the master will help restore the appearance of silver jewelry, if it is impossible to do it yourself. With the help of special equipment and clean products, this will take no more than an hour. It is not difficult to polish silverware, but it will be pointless if you do not look after jewelry in the future.
5. Citric acid and copper wire
Pour a 100-gram sachet into a half-liter pot of water and place the mixture on the stove. Immerse the silver jewelry inside and wait 15 minutes - the effect will appear on the eyes. An unusual trick is copper wire. Wrap her a ring or bracelet - with such contact in citric acid, a reaction occurs that makes cleaning even faster and more efficient.
6. Soda and aluminum foil
Boil the same half-liter pot with 2 tablespoons of soda. Put a strip of food foil in the pan - you can even tear it from the packaging of chocolates. Then - lower the silver and leave the miracle mixture for 15-20 minutes.
As with copper, the reaction of silver with aluminum is important here, which helps to remove any black. At the same time you will forget about opacities and layers. Shine will be - as good as new! It is not for nothing that this recipe is the most effective. But it is better to refuse dry soda for cleaning - this is too aggressive an abrasive for soft and delicate silver.
7. How to clean table silver?
A concentrated solution of soda and salt is best suited for cleaning silver cutlery. Add 3 tablespoons of soda and 3 tablespoons of salt to a liter of water. Boil the mixture, put the products there and leave for 15 minutes. You can use soda or salt separately, but then increase the concentration. After that, polish the forks, spoons and knives with a soft cloth to shine.
8. How to clean blackened silver?
To clean blackened silver from blackness is the most difficult task. It is important here to find a fine line between getting rid of excess, but not damaging the original coating. Therefore, all aggressive methods and solutions are categorically not suitable for such jewelry.
Use pure soda and salt, but increase the processing time to half an hour. The second way is to put the decorations in a pot of cold water and several peeled potatoes. Leave them there for 3-5 hours and then rinse under the tap. If blackness remains somewhere, use the usual clerical eraser.
How to care for silver
Silver is loved for its nobility at an affordable price. Products from this metal can serve their owner for many years, but care for silver jewelry requires attention and patience. Silver undergoes deformations more often than others because of its softness, it becomes covered with scratches, and can bend and blacken. To prevent silver from darkening, it should be cleaned regularly. You can do this on your own and improvised means that are present on the farm for each person, or refer to the master. The last option costs money, but you get the jewelry back safe and sound, like new.
How to prevent blackening of silver?
As we can see, cleaning a silver chain at home is quite easy.
But in order to have to carry out this procedure as little as possible, adhere to the following recommendations:
- Remove the chain daily and wipe with a soft cloth.
- During water procedures, be sure to remove silver jewelry, and try not to wear them in rainy weather.
- Take off the chain before doing sports.
- If possible, try so that the product does not come into contact with cosmetics or medicinal ointments, with a sulfur content.
- Do not store silver jewelry with others; it is better to allocate a separate casket for them, with a tight-fitting lid.
- Perform preventive cleaning every two months.
- If the product is with stones or has high value, it is better to entrust the cleaning to a specialist.
How to clean silver at home
Silver is a soft but beautiful metal. He is often chosen to create jewelry, various rings, pendants, chains and utensils for the home, decor. But, alas, it quickly becomes coated with plaque and blackens, even if it is not often used. So it is very important to know how to clean silver at home.
How to clean silver to make it shiny
It often happens that silver was cleaned at home, but it was not possible to achieve brilliance, what should I do? The easiest way to make silver shine is to use special means.
For silver to shine, for example, Aladdin, Sunlight
- Cleaning fluids Valuable metal contains perfumes, water, phosphates, surfactants, organic solvents, so they always work well. There are many such tools on sale. Good, for example, drugs "Aladdin", "Sunlight." They quickly clean silver, restore its luster, but may have an unpleasant odor. Use these funds only according to the instructions.
- Napkins also help a lot. There are special ones that are sold in stores or on the Internet, they are always indicated for what metal they are intended for and detailed instructions for use are given. They can be reusable or disposable, depending on the type. Usually they are used simply to wipe the silver to a shine.
- Jewelry paste also suitable for cleaning silver. It can be of different types, for metal, dull products, with stones or other types. It is quite gentle, gently acts, does not scratch. Usually with this mixture the metal is smeared and left for a while, then cleaned with a cloth.
These specialized tools can be used without fear. Of course, you need to spend money on their purchase, but they effectively and quickly cope with the task and make silver glisten, and not just look clean.
So that silver does not get dirty much, you need to store it in separate soft boxes or bags.
How to clean silver with gilding
How to clean silver with gilding
Silver with gilding is not rare. Such products are cheaper than gold, but look expensive, like pure gold. However, gilding can come off if it is not cleaned properly. Abrasives can easily wipe gold, so it’s best not to use them. In addition, it is advisable not to take brushes for cleaning, it is better to use a cloth (suede).
To remove plaque, dust, you can dip the cloth in alcohol or a light solution of vinegar (a glass of water, 2 tbsp. 8% vinegar), and wipe the gilding. If acidification is necessary, you can pour beer into a cup and put the product there for half an hour. At the end of time, silver is removed and wiped with suede to shine.
With severe contamination, the following solution is made for cleaning: a glass of warm water, 5 g of soap and 6 drops of ammonia. Silver with gilding is soaked for half an hour and enjoy the result.
Cleaning products with enamel at home
Cleaning silver products with enamel at home
As a decor on silver, various enameled drawings are often used. They make the product unusual, interesting, but because of the same enamel, such jewelry is much more difficult to clean.
Enamels cannot be contacted with most cleaning products. So they are excluded immediately. Strong temperature changes are also dangerous for her. But how then to clean such a decoration?
To wash silver with enamel, cool water is used with 3-5 drops of ammonia. After washing the product, you need to get it wet with a soft cloth. From darkening, you can use a little tooth powder.
When using toothpaste or toothpaste, you need to carefully wash the silver so as not to leave scratches.
Cleaning silver items with stones
Minerals are often inserted into silverware. They give additional shine, nobleness to silver and increase its value. Demand for such goods is always high. But how to effectively clean silver with inserts? In order not to harm the mineral, it is worth using gentle methods.
Cleaning silver items with stones
- If the stone is hard, like sapphire, aquamarine, emerald, diamond, it can be cleaned by any method.
- Ruby, topaz and pomegranate are washed exclusively in medium-temperature water!
- In the case of malachite, opal, moonstone, turquoise, it is worth using mild detergent solutions, baths. Abrasive substances can be harmful.
- Amber, pearls, coral do not tolerate cleaning with vinegar and any corrosive preparations. A silver chain, a cross or other jewelry with stones is usually simply washed in plain water or carried to a jeweler for cleaning.
Do not forget that in products with minerals, most dirt accumulates in the place of stone fastening, that is, in the most inaccessible places.
But you shouldn’t be very zealous about leaching from black at the place where the mineral is attached, since if the stone was attached to glue and the metal does not hold it in any way, it will simply fall out.
If you want to return the original beauty to the jewelry, it is better to use the services of a professional jeweler.
How to clean blackened silver
How to clean blackened silver
The blackened silver created by the jeweler is striking in its beauty. Certain parts of such items have a typical silver color, while others are darkened, black, like old, darkened silver. But how to clean such silver so that the blackness is not lost that attracts attention so much for which this silver is appreciated?
The blackened silver is cleaned very carefully so that the top layer is not damaged. To do this, take a soap-soda mixture. In a glass of water, pour a tablespoon of soap chips and a teaspoon of soda. Silver is dipped in this liquid for no more than half an hour and then removed.
A silver chain, a cross, a bracelet with an abundance of small parts should be cleaned with special soft brushes. In this case, the dirt is removed not only from above, but also between the links in hard-to-reach areas.
Another option is peeling potato infusion. To do this, peel 2-3 potatoes and put them in a bowl of water. It is also necessary to identify blackened silver. After 3.5 hours, the metal can be removed and washed in water. If an unpleasant coating remains on the silver, it can be removed with a simple eraser.
How to clean matt silver at home
Matt silver has been popular lately. But if you do not know how to clean silver at home, it will soon cease to be dull, it will begin to shine. So the main rule is not to polish the product even with a cloth and do not take acid or abrasives for cleaning.
The best option is to dilute the soap in the water (shavings or liquid soap) and use a cleaning solution. A tablespoon of this product is enough for a glass of water. The cleaning will be soft, it may not be possible to remove all the dirt, but the appearance will not deteriorate.
Silver is used to create a wide variety of jewelry, dishes, decor items. And since this metal is never used in its pure form, it quickly becomes contaminated and darkens when worn, or even if it just lies in one place.
So it’s important to know how to clean silver at home. As you can see, there are many methods, depending on the type of product, you can choose the most profitable option.
If in doubt, it is better to take the silver to the jeweler so that he carries out a professional cleaning.