In the era of technological progress and the rapid growth of technology, the contemporary worldview has undergone tremendous changes. The generation of current parents oriented their life to the future: they built Napoleonic plans, set high goals, motivated themselves to succeed. Modern boys and girls very often pessimistic about the past, are dissatisfied with the present, do not believe in a happy future. This depressive mood of the growing nation is directly reflected in the abnormal thinking of many adolescents - suicidal behavior.
The average rate of teenage suicides in Russia is 16 cases per 100 thousand children per year. This value is three times higher than the world average. Thoughts about committing suicide at least once in a lifetime arise in every second girl and in every fourth young man. The peak of teenage suicides (more than 60%) occurs in the summer and spring season. Most often, suicidal attempts are recorded in adolescents who have not crossed the fourteen-year threshold.
Teenage suicide: a problem exists
Increasing cases of teenage suicides indicate the need for a more in-depth study of the causes of childhood suicides and the selection of more effective programs for the prevention of deviant behavior. The problem of teenage suicide is gaining particular urgency due to the increasing growth of child death groups propagating their anomalous theory on the pages of social networks.
Indeed, with the growing popularity of virtual communities, both the culture of peer communication and the topics of problems discussed not only between close people, but also among unfamiliar Internet users, have substantially changed. Modern youth is not guided by the concepts of morality and morality, is not limited in statements by censorship. Current boys and girls freely expose hidden secrets in the virtual space, without hesitation discuss personal problems in forums, without hiding, share their experiences in chat rooms.
Today, on the pages of rating social networks, one can see an abundance of messages about teenage death groups, become a member of disputes about the "meaninglessness" of being, get instructions on how to "make" self-cutting "correctly" (a term denoting suicide among young people). An adequate adult reading suicidal posts on the Internet may have the impression that current adolescents are completely depressed, they are not interested in life.
For several years now, on the virtual platforms of the World Wide Web, there has been an active promotion of the children's “game”, the ultimate goal of which is suicide. Such teenage fun - a deadly quest - has many names: "Blue whale», «Quiet house», «Run or die". Updates on the pages of children's death groups occur in "In contact with"Every two seconds. Search engines testify that queries regarding the suicide problem reach an astounding figure of approximately 3 million monthly. Hashtags #blue kit, #tihiydom, #yavigra #wakingin name420, #f57, #f58, #want to the game # whales swim in nine out of ten teenagers.
Many publications published information about teenage death groups and death quests. In the framework of this article, we will not set out detailed information about the essence of these groups; we will provide only brief verified information.
- Information about death groups and teenage quests appeared on the Internet in 2015. The first victim who committed a demonstrative suicide and published a “photo report” of her suicide was a Russian student, known on the network under the name Rina Palenkova. Her selfie with the signature “nya.poka.” Became a symbol of teenage death groups.
- According to many sociologists, the reason for the increased teenage suicides and the increase in child death in Russia lies in the abundance of psychedelic content video files on the World Wide Web. Much of the shock content came from the community library “f57”, known for posting executions by extremist ISIS.
- To become a member of the deadly game, the user publishes on his page one of the above hashtags or composes poems glorifying the “blue whale”. A few minutes later, a “curator” gets in touch with a potential suicide bomber, the location of the account of which an ordinary citizen can not determine. The “curator” informs the future victim of the rules of the “game”: leave the participation in the quest secret, unconditionally complete all tasks and follow the instructions received. The player will be “punished" for refusing to complete or incomplete completion of the task.
- Despite the different names of death groups and the difference in quest rules, the goal of teenage “games” is the same - committing an act of suicide. In most cases, the player is given tasks designed for fifty days. Assignments in death groups amaze with their cruelty and sophistication. For example, a player must cut a whale figure on his body, walk along the roof of a skyscraper, drink acetic acid, cross the roadway in front of a moving car. To "zombie" the participant is obliged to watch a psychedelic video for a day, listen to minor music. For a special impact on the psyche, the time for receiving tasks was also chosen - 4:20. In this predawn hour, a person is in a state between sleep and wakefulness, in a kind of trance. Such a drowsy state, in which the control of consciousness is reduced, allows the “curators” to instill in the adolescent what is required without any problems. The final task is to commit an act of "self-cutting", that is, suicide.
It should be emphasized that in addition to the psychological "zombie" of a teenager, a strong moral pressure is exerted on a participant in deadly projects. He receives threats: the “curators”, in case of disobedience, promise to crack down on his relatives. It was because of panic fear that many children did not dare to leave the game and brought the quest to the end - suicide.
Teenage suicide: causes of child suicide
According to data released by the World Health Organization, there are over 800 causes of suicidal behavior. The most common cause of teenage suicides (about 50%) is unrequited first love.
It has been established that neither the level of education, nor the intelligence coefficient, nor the social status of the child, nor the financial situation of his family affects the generation of ideas about suicide. However over 60% of teenage suicides come from full and affluent familiesin which there was an income above the average and there were no special financial problems.
Surveys of children who attempted to take their own lives show that most of them (about 70%) in the family history did not have episodes of mental disorders, and their close relatives are mentally healthy people.
According to psychologists, the problem of teenage suicides is primarily based on the lack of full communication between parents and children. Lack of attention, lack of sincere love, rejection of the child’s personality, ignoring his needs and interests, hostile and conflicting atmosphere in the family are the main reasons for the formation of suicidal tendencies at a young age.
It should be borne in mind that the teenage period is the main stage in the formation and formation of personality. The juvenile phase is characterized by mood lability associated with the restructuring of hormonal status. The instability of the emotional state often causes impulsiveness, illogicality and inconsistency of actions. Many boys and girls are unhappy with themselves and attribute to themselves non-existent flaws. With the wrong education strategy, against the background of dissatisfaction with one’s own appearance, character, knowledge, a child develops an inferiority complex. Without knowledge of how to develop yourself, without experience of a constructive solution to problems, a teenager is plunged into deep depression.
Very often, depression is exacerbated by the appearance in the child of a sense of worthlessness and a sense of his own guilt. The lad reproaches himself for the slightest mistakes, blames himself for the tiny mistakes made, does not believe in his abilities. In fact, the problem of childhood suicides is based on the fact that a notorious child does not understand the meaning in life and does not believe in personal success in the future. Against this background, ideas arise about the meaninglessness of being, and the immature psyche finds the only "way out of the impasse" - to commit suicide.
Very often the problem is aggravated by a lack of parental attention. Many current ancestors are so busy at work, passionate about developing a business or building a career that they don’t have time for full contact with their heir. The psyche of children interprets such a parental attitude in its own way: since they do not pay attention to me, it means that no one needs me, respectively, I'm a worthless creature, and it makes no sense to live.
Unfortunately, most of today's mothers and fathers believe that their children are able to cope with any psychological problems on their own. Modern parents do not take into account that today the load on the human psyche is much greater than the requirements that existed two decades ago. The flow of conflicting information that hits the child’s brain, as a result, the psyche does not have time to filter out, systematize, weed out unnecessary links, make logical conclusions. Accordingly, chaos reigns in the head of a teenager - he does not understand where the real problems are, and where are the artificial difficulties that are not even worth attention. It is the lack of a differentiated approach to solving all life tasks, the inability to correctly distribute one's efforts that are the cause of inconsistent actions by a teenager.
It should also be noted that the contemporary nervous system suffers greatly from overload. The high demands of reality, the frantic pace of life, the lack of proper rest leads to malfunctions of the main computer - the brain, against the background of which various mental defects arise.
The problem of widespread suicide among adolescents also comes from the fact that many young men and women have an “age” trait - maximalism. The vision of the world exclusively in black and white, the rejection of neutrality, the inability to compromise, the lack of patience and perseverance are characteristics characteristic of juvenile age. The desire to possess all the best and immediately, as a rule, stumbles in children on an obstacle that they cannot overcome. This causes a violent protest at the lad and forms thoughts about the injustice of the world. Accordingly, the idea arises in the child’s imagination: since the world is merciless and unjust, there is no reason to live.
In modern life, there is another global problem. If a couple of decades ago, people preferred “live” communication: they went on a visit, met in the yard, made new friends, made contacts, but now young people have “moved” to the virtual world. Indeed, it’s much easier, easier, faster to contact the network. Communication on the World Wide Web does not involve the application of volitional efforts. Here there is the possibility of voluntarily ending the dialogue and erasing the non-sent message. At the same time, “live” communication requires psychological literacy, the ability to “feel” the interlocutor, the ability to compromise. That is why many teenagers willingly "moved" into the virtual world. However, this type of communication creates many problems, including the true loneliness of a person. The absence of real friends does not give a chance to quickly solve difficulties, to meet sincere moral support. A teenager's awareness of his own loneliness provokes despair and a corrosive longing, the liberation of which young men and girls find in acts of suicide.
Another cause of teenage suicides is a characteristic feature of the juvenile period. Adolescence is a time of seeking revenge in life, which requires evidence of respect from others. The desire to assert oneself, the need to gain authority among peers, the need to attract attention stumbles over a stone of ignorance of the constructive ways of pursuing aspirations. The immature psyche of the child suggests a way out: in order to be popular and gain fame, it is necessary to commit some extraordinary act, for example: commit suicide.
The causes of teenage suicides can also be attributed to children's inability to constructively resolve difficulties. Real adult problems, uncertainty and fear of the future, fear of making a mistake depress the psyche of the lad. Such a stay in constant psycho-emotional stress requires some kind of discharge. Since the teenagers are not aware of healthy alternatives for eliminating nervous tension, he begins to seek salvation in the circle of the same tired children. Once in the circle of melancholy and spleen, the young man quickly becomes involved in a destructive “philosophy”, the essence of which is: the white light is not nice, the best way is to leave this world forever.
Another culprit in high voluntary mortality among adolescents is inability to resist threats, blind faith in the inevitable retribution for disobedience, panic fear for the lives of loved ones. Very often, children are convinced that the threats addressed to them are sure to be fulfilled. They do not understand that threats and blackmail are a method of intimidation. They do not realize that most of the voiced threats are not going to be executed at all.
Teenage suicide: prevention
There is no doubt that the problem of prevention of teenage suicides is an issue that must be resolved at the state level. Psychological services, social institutes, pedagogical teams should develop a comprehensive program for the prevention of suicidal behavior of children. Consider the advice of psychologists regarding the actions of parents who suspect their child has suicidal thoughts.
- The best solution to prevent suicidal actions is to visit a psychologist at the slightest sign of a problem. The specialist will find out what difficulties the child has and will tell you how to overcome them.
- The optimal means of prevention is the sincere interest of the parent in the life of his descendant. Moms and dads should know what doubts a teenager has, what are his goals, interests, needs.
- The mistake that many adults take is to tighten control over the child, the introduction of more stringent rules and restrictions. It should be remembered that the more prohibitions exist, the stronger the desire of young people to violate them. The tougher the overlap of oxygen, the more passionate the passion to break free.
- The main rule for parents in order to prevent teenage suicides is to act sincerely, not to be hypocritical, to act without falsehood. Despite personal immaturity, children are “qualified” psychologists who feel where there is truth and where there is deception. Lying on the part of the parents greatly injures the tender soul of the teenager.
- Generational relationships should be based on mutual respect. Admittedly, a teenager is an independent independent personality. A small person has the right to his own point of view, which is different from the opinion of adults.
- For a child to be ready to tell his secrets, parents must be safe for him. The teenager must be confident that his secrets will not be made public. That he will not be ridiculed, criticized, punished. It is the child’s trust in their parents - the best way to prevent suicide.
- It must be remembered that the child has the right to personal space, and he must periodically be alone. Therefore, you should not go into his soul when he is busy researching his personality and wants to be alone.
- Persuasion on a person who decided to commit suicide often does not work. Verbal arguments, they say, life is interesting and beautiful, reinforce the spirit of contradiction in a teenager. It is necessary to prove not by words, but by one’s own actions. Energetic, happy parents are a good example for a desperate child and a strong confirmation that life is an exciting thing.
- Parents should find an activity that will be an outlet for their heir and tear him from the clutches of depression. Now there are lots of exciting suggestions on how to diversify your leisure. The child will be able to show his logic in the quest rooms. You can feel a surge of adrenaline at the races in the go-kart center. Rope jumping - rope jumping from high objects will help you to feel the taste of life. You can feel a surge of energy after kayaking.
- A good way to prevent suicide is to fill the child’s life with positive points. Remember: a busy and enthusiastic person does not have time to think about suicide. Invite the teenager to learn how to drive a car, record it in the kickboxing section, send him to study foreign languages in the famous Oxford. Plan your free time so that there is no room for boredom. Visiting theaters, museums, exhibitions, watching films, out-of-town excursions, sightseeing bus tours will save you from spleen and instill a taste for life.
- The task of parents for the prevention of suicide is to prove to the child that he is a loved and respected person. You can not stigmatize your offspring with shame, publicly shame him, hang offensive labels. Even if he is wrong a thousand times, adults need correctness and tact. It must be remembered: everyone has the right to make a mistake. That is why all adults: parents, teachers, trainers and other environment of the lad must become polite and wise people. Remember: no one is allowed to humiliate and oppress a child.
Read the general article on suicide.
Causes of suicide in adolescents, which parents must be aware of
There is no more ancient and still unresolved problem than the problem of the relationship of parents and children. And it will excite more than one generation. It is with the family that the formation of the child as an individual begins. And it depends only on the parents how harmonious and psychologically balanced the child will grow up.
Family is the foundation of everything. Any person when he is ill should know: he has something to rely on. Sometimes in life there is discomfort. In this case, the person must help himself, give the installation that everything will be fine and that any difficulties are a temporary phenomenon. If you cannot cope with them on your own, it is important for each of us to feel support. Especially for adolescents, because they cannot fully reassure themselves. That is why they need the support of family, as well as friends and teachers. There are families who are not able to give such help. It happens that parents themselves have emotional personality disorders, they abuse alcohol, or are simply indifferent to the child. In such families, there is a high risk of a child developing mental and behavioral disorders.
A common cause of behavior disorders is that the child is not noticed. He lives at home like a tenant. And it happens that he sets the bar too high. Such a family cannot provide support. And this means that adolescents in such families will begin to feel loneliness. As a result, he will delve into himself, looking for a way out of the situation.
When attempting suicide, the character traits of a teenager matter. There are cases when some adolescents in adulthood made more than 10 suicide attempts per year. Not all parents can survive this force; not everyone is ready to get rid of their principles and change with their child. It is important to understand that there are times when you need to keep silent. If this does not happen, a “short circuit” occurs. Parents work hard to give the teenager all the best, and in return no understanding.
Often one of the reasons for suicide attempts (but only together with other factors) is an incomplete family. Often, parents, angry at the children, do not find a common language with them, they can say not what they need. And teenagers perceive everything literally. In times of crisis, they can say too much in return.
Another of the causes of suicide in adolescents is unrequited youthful love. At this age, everything is seen differently. And the rejected teenager does not understand how he can continue to live without the object of his love. In these difficult moments, he may decide to die, as he does not see more value in it.
Responsible parents are worried about the question of where to find a middle ground, how not to cross the boundaries of what is permissible, how not to cause psychological injuries in the process of raising a child.
Once Janusz Korczak said that education should be imperceptible. You need to start educating when only the child has learned to walk. And bring up not a carrot and stick. To educate is to know the child, to know his interests. In short, parents should be a significant part of a teenager’s life.
Adults must have at least half an hour a day to talk with their child. Moreover, this should not happen through the walls and not through the corridor. We must be able to look the child in the eye. And the most important thing is to talk with the child when he himself wants it, and not at the moment when it will be convenient for you, the parents. And for this you should find the time. In addition, parents should create situations where you can praise the child. This is an indispensable point in education. And no matter how old the child is. He needs to be praised for the washed spoon, and for helping bring products from the store.
Another important point: adults must live in the interests of the child. It is very important for him that mom, for example, listened to the music that he loves. It was not easy to dismiss, supposedly what kind of music it was, but listened with interest. In general, children should feel that everything is done just for them. This moment is the golden mean that we must try to achieve. And then there is a chance that the teenager will not, like a climber, look for something to cling to, to whom to entrust his experiences.
For many teenagers, dad or mom is almost a stranger who comes home from work in the evening to just spend the night, watch TV. And in the morning, this stranger silently disappears for the whole day. Quite often, children aged 12-14 do not know almost anything about their parents. This suggests that the family does not have a trusting relationship, parents do not share their adult problems with their children. Namely, mom and dad should be an example for a daughter or son. If not them, then who will show what a trusting relationship should be?
Very often the cause of suicide in adolescents is low self-esteem. Often, it is in the family that the reasons why a teenager develops low self-esteem are hidden. In no case should the child be pointed to his weaknesses. On the contrary, it is necessary to think how to make, from the existing minus, a plus.
Form self-esteem need actions and actions. It is important not to praise the child and to know the measure in everything. All problems come from childhood. But parents, when they lower their self-esteem, do it out of ignorance. And peers most often do this on purpose and, unfortunately, do not think about the results of such behavior.
Often other children try to raise their own self-esteem at the expense of others. They taunt their classmates, provoke fights, and then transfer the blame to the offended teenager. Often adults do not understand who is to blame. And only children with high self-esteem can cope with this situation. For adolescents who are loved by adults who adequately evaluate them, it is not necessary to prove their strength to other children. For them, a strong one who acts reasonably.
Parasuicidal Attempts - How to Help
Parasuicide - unlike true suicide, a parasuicidal attempt has a different meaning, it is aimed at a certain social effect. This is not a true desire for self-destruction, but more often a call for a change in human relationships. In particular, they highlight such motives as a call for help, a protest against the current situation, the need to give yourself a break in a conflict situation, avoidance of suffering, self-punishment, renunciation of life.
Parasuicides are not so common. If a teenager has someone to entrust his thoughts, emotions, then he will no longer take such a terrible step. Parasuicides are a non-chronic diagnosis. Any crisis moment that was in a person’s life and with which he successfully dealt with is a thing of the past. Adolescents most often have a disorder of behavior and emotions. Any emotional disorder leads to a behavior disorder. Teenagers are often not emotionally adapted to their environment, the reality that they had to face. This may include, for example, ridicule from classmates. The child, if this happens, begins to run away from situations that could injure him. This is the first step towards emotional distress. Then the child begins to cheat himself, they say, he is special, not like the others. It is important to be able to think through various options for the situation and understand what exactly is wrong. But only families with a tradition of trust and the habit of telling each other about everything can analyze the problem and find a way to solve it.
How to recognize a teenager's suicidal tendency
It is important to note that all words on the part of a teenager should be taken seriously. If a teenager says that he has lost the meaning of life, then these are not empty words. You can not ignore these words, do not pay attention to them. They are hiding a serious problem, and you should immediately seek help from a specialist.
Behavior and words that should alert:
- If parents or teachers at least once heard from the children the WORDS OF FAREWELL, or became witnesses as a teenager talked with his friends that they would not see him again, then you must act immediately. A teenager may not do anything with himself, but since such words have already been spoken, this indicates a lack of confidence in his actions. This may prompt thoughts of death.
- Self-accusations, they say, I'm not like everyone else, talking about my worthlessness and inability to do anything, are also a factor that can lead to the adoption of the wrong decision. Thus, in a suicidal teenager, changes in behavior are observed at first, since in order to openly declare his intention to die, a great willpower is needed. As a rule, such thoughts are hatched silently. Nevertheless, parents who are not indifferent to the fate of the teenager may notice changes in the behavior of their daughter or son.
- The teenager is constantly in a state of DEPRESSION, which can manifest itself in poor appetite, gluttony. There are problems with sleep. May scream at night. Become indifferent to everything.
- Talk about death is possible. He likes to watch films and programs, read books, watch videos on the Internet, in which people take their lives.
- Adults should pay attention to paresis, bruises and abrasions on the body of a teenager. Take an interest in their origin. Show sincere attention and love to the teenager. Offer help if necessary.
- An alarming bell is the behavior of a teenager when he throws away his favorite things. Why it happens? Because they are no longer needed, leaving them here in this world does not make sense. Obviously, such a problem alone can no longer cope. Only a specialist can help unravel the tangle of problems and suggest the right way out of the situation. It may not work out right away to take the child to a psychotherapist, so it’s worth starting with school psychologists. As practice shows, they help very well.
Here is one example of psychological help for adolescents who have decided on suicide.
Short film Live!
Whatever the reasons for adolescents pushing them to suicide, parents and relatives always have a chance to rectify the situation. Adults should strive to help their children with all their might, as they need them. And if you do not help teenagers, then someone else will do it. But will it help? And will it bring to good? Therefore, be loving parents and communicate with your adult children as equals.
I hope the article was useful to you. Share your opinion on the topic of the article in the comments.
Good luck and patience!
Yours Tatyana Kemishis
If you liked the article, share it in your social. networks
Five letters of teenagers
Perfect relationships between teens and parents are rare. Parents begin to prepare for the transitional age of their children in advance: they read articles with the advice of psychologists and other experts, often consult with school teachers, figure out how to load the child so that he "does not have time for bullshit." However, this does not help. Why? What mistakes do parents make? “I-Parent” asked these questions to high school students at a regular school near Moscow and invited them to write extremely frank letters to their parents. Some of them are given in this article.
Alina, 16 years old:
“Mom, I probably will not pass the exam in mathematics. I definitely won’t give up. And even if you call me an idiot a hundred more times and say that I will work as a cleaner all my life, I won’t give up. From the fact that you call me names and reproach with the money that you and your father invested in me, I do not begin to understand functions and integrals. I would be happy to complete the courses of makeup artists and hairdressers. I could work at home - people would come to me, and I would do them hairstyles. I don't need math. I don’t think it’s bad to be a hairdresser. But I try to avoid you, mom, because you can only talk to me about exams. And this is far from all that I could discuss with you. ”
Pavel, 15 years old:
“Mom, my peers smoke a lot. They drink alcoholic drinks and forge copies of passports to go to a nightclub. And I like basketball. I want to be the first, I want to train more. I understand that I am 15 and I will not be a champion, but the profession of a coach will suit me. Even in our small town. But for this you need to play a lot. My father says that if I do not finish six months as an excellent student, they will forbid me to go to basketball. But the more I bison, the less strength I have left for training. I could study a little worse and still do a little more, but you leave me no choice. I am really looking forward to my coming of age. I hope that I will leave home and communicate as little as possible with you and with my father. ”
Olga, 15 years old:
“Dad, you keep saying that it’s still too early for me to do this and that I’m small. Mom forbids me to do hair removal, and the girls at school laugh at me. They buy me things that I don’t like, and they laugh at me again. I am not allowed to pluck my eyebrows, and they are very thick and ugly.Sometimes I come home and think about how I will kill myself when I don’t have the strength to endure it. Probably drown in the river. They will bury me, and then you will understand that you were wrong. ”
Seryozha, 14 years old:
“Mom, I can’t restrain myself. I am rude to you, often. Words seem to fly out of their mouths. You say: “Go!” And I want to eat, but I refuse. Always like this. It would be easier for me if they talked to me as little as possible now. "I notice that when you have no time to follow and pull me, I get the mood myself, first, to talk with you, to tell something."
How to understand when a teenager is serious?
It is very rare that no one from the teenager’s surroundings knows about impending suicide - neither friends nor family members. He can declare this both in plain text and in hints, warning that he is tired of this life and thinks only about death. It is very important to hear and understand how serious his intentions are. In any case, if a teenager spoke to you about committing suicide, you should take his words very seriously. It is important to understand that in this way he asks for help.
Affective suicide is very difficult to prevent, for this you need to be near. But if the decision to leave life is thought out and planned, those close to them are more likely to notice the problem and take action. This step, as a rule, is preceded by a more or less long period of experiences, a struggle of motives and a search for a way out of the created situation.
Almost always suicide is the result of not one problem, but several. As a rule, numerous.
It is believed that a teenager who once tried to commit suicide will make another attempt, and so on, until his intentions are crowned with success. This is actually not the case. If the teenager was not able to commit suicide on the first try, there will usually be no further attempts.
What could be an alarm?
He has a lingering depression. This is a pathological decline in mood. If a teenager often looks depressed, irritable, avoids communication, find out what worries him.
He behaves defiantly. Pay attention to any manifestation of emotions that is unusual for a teenager (as well as appearance). Perhaps his behavior is trying to attract your attention, to convey something.
In his work appear depressive notes. If motifs related to death and suicide predominate in the drawings or music of a teenager, this can be a signal for you.
He changed his lifestyle, interests, image. What is your child currently doing? What can bother him, in your opinion, right now? Talk to him about it. Show your concern and concern.
He can't figure out his experiences.. Teens on the verge of suicide may be hopeless. At the same time, they hope for a favorable solution to their problem. Remember: often the desires for and against suicide are so balanced that if relatives close in time guess the intentions of the teenager and show attention and care, the scales often lean toward life.
Talk more often with a teenager about the favorable prospects for his formation and development as a person. Give positive examples from your life, from the life of friends.
If a teenager does not make contact, you should definitely seek help from a psychologist, psychotherapist.
Always remember: first of all, family people or friends will be able to assess the depth of emotional experience. Therefore, you must be very careful in relation to their loved ones adolescence. Then you can prevent trouble. ”
Sergey Sokolov - Child and family psychologist, member of the Federation of Educational Psychologists of Russia.
Teenage suicide - which leads children to suicidal thoughts
Teenage suicide is an opportunity to get rid of complexes and fears, humiliation and resentment, prevent crisis situations, and avenge loved ones for misunderstanding.
Youthful maximalism is often not ready for the realities of everyday life, and in an attempt to run away from problems and “teach a lesson” to everyone, children aged 14-18 commit suicide.
This is confirmed by statistics indicating a figure of 12%. Unfortunately, most suicide attempts are successful.
Causes of Teenage Suicide - Why Teenagers Think of Suicide
In the period from 13 to 18 years, events occur that were previously not familiar to children's consciousness. A teenager experiences love, learns to build relationships with peers, wants to be an adult and independent.
The children's mind is being rebuilt, it becomes vulnerable, and thoughts are chaotic. The feeling of fear of the unknown future is growing and psychological health is being formed.
If the family is dysfunctional, and the problem of misunderstanding causes regular experience in children, psychological stress arises and this conflict brings the child into life, study and the surrounding social environment, thereby causing a crisis of relations.
The lack of mutual understanding soon turns into a big ball of problems and disagreements, the solution of which seems impossible.
There are certain causes of suicide in adolescents:
- conflicts in the team
- family problems and misunderstanding of parents,
- social imbalance
- resentment to the whole world,
- mockery complexes
- adverse environment
- fear of humiliation again.
Hopelessness pushes children to suicide. When the situation seems insoluble, the future is meaningless, and a conscious act causes disapproval of parents and the negativity of others - death becomes the only way out.
Also, we can conclude that suicide is committed due to complex mental disorders.
Causes of Teen Suicide
Unresolved conflicts at home, financial problems, loss of a loved one, as well as alcohol or drug abuse - these are a number of reasons that are usually characteristic of adults who decide to commit suicide. Adolescence has slightly different characteristics. Often this is unrequited love or misunderstanding on the part of loved ones. 75% of suicidal teenagers have single-parent families, often including orphans.
However, alcoholism and drug addiction can also be the causes of suicide of adolescents. In a state of withdrawal, or withdrawal, when severe physical pain and depression are felt, the once thought-out plan for passing away is usually embodied. Psychotherapists argue that the idea of suicide very rarely occurs spontaneously. Most often, it happens that a person for a long time ponders ways to commit suicide.
Teenage suicide has its own factors. Problems with study, in communication with peers, the detachment of parents - all this, day after day, worsens the mental state of children. Stress is cumulative. It begins to seem to teenagers that if the present and the past do not bring any joy, then their future will develop in a similar way.
Strange as it may seem, factors such as the political situation and the economic crisis in the country also affect the state of adolescents. Due to the increased level of anxiety of parents, children also begin to experience psycho-emotional difficulties, to some extent losing the support of adults who are powerless in the face of circumstances. Thus, the mental state of adults also affects teenage suicide. Statistics show that suicidal tendencies also depend on gender. Among girls, this indicator is 8 people per 100 thousand people, among boys - 33 people.
What teens are suicidal
You must pay attention to the following risk factors, especially if a teenager is threatened by several of them:
- Suicide in family history. If one of the relatives of the teenager ended his life of his own free will, this increases the overall suicidal risk among other family members.
- Alcohol addiction. Alcoholism is another factor provoking teenage suicide. Russia takes the fifth place in the world in alcohol consumption, however, these data due to shadow turnover are considered underestimated. This dependence provokes chemical changes in the central nervous system. Due to these disorders, adolescents, as well as adults, develop a depressive state, the level of anxiety increases significantly.
- Addiction. Drugs, especially their use in conjunction with alcohol, are a deadly factor. A person loses control of himself, ceases to be aware of his motives and needs. Worsening depression can go into a psychotic state.
- An unfinished attempt to pass away in the past. About a third of adolescents who attempted suicide in the past then commit suicide to the end.
- The presence of mental illness, as well as neurotic tendencies.
- Hints of suicide.
Loss and suicide
Serious loss can lead to depression and suicide. The teenage character is maximalistic: for example, love can seem to be the "little adult" last in his life. You need to understand this, as well as take the personality of a teenager seriously. Other losses may be associated with the loss of physical health, a loved one. In all cases, not only depression but also anger and anger take over the adolescent.
Signs of suicide in adolescents
Every 10th teenager is suicidal. It is possible to recognize and prevent suicide in time if you pay attention and notice disturbing messages in time.
Identification of signs and diagnosis of the environment, as a warning measure. Secretive behavior and a depressing environment, provoking factors and alienation are good reasons (in an immature mind) and a direct threat to reduce scores with life.
Set of conditions
It should be noted that very rarely only one of the listed factors pushes an unformed individual to suicide. Adolescence is transitional, and we must remember that in it everyone is perceived especially acutely. Despite the fact that belonging to a risk group does not always mean compulsory suicide, relatives, teachers and friends need to be very careful about their presence. Teenage suicide is a situation that requires external intervention. Children need a person who is able to change the situation and help them by hearing the cry of the soul.
Teenage suicide statistics
The acute problem of teenage suicide is often caused by unrequited love. This is evidenced by the sad statistics of psychological observations. A teenager is often unable to explain and express the fullness of his feelings.
- to be deceived
- lack of reciprocity
- gossip and humiliation
- contempt and others
Usually recognize disturbing factors can several criteria:
- children's conversation draws attention to topics about the other world,
- the child often talks about death, asks the reasons for the sudden death,
- frequent anger is manifested, or, on the contrary, apathy to everything that happens,
- a teenager wants to do homework alone, in a closed room, and asks not to be disturbed until he leaves,
- the child enters into a community whose theme may reflect death, resurrection from the dead, magic rituals,
- a teenager expresses an open intention to commit suicide,
- he begins to share the concept of death, not seeing anything terrible in it,
- children are interested in mortality statistics and features of this event,
- constant lack of appetite,
- unwillingness to name the causes of constant depression,
- zealous overcoming of phobias in order to demonstrate
- a compelling motive, such as injuring other people or valuable inanimate objects,
- the thought of an unfortunate future due to personal troubles,
- the presence of serious defects in appearance due to some event,
- the child prefers dark gloomy colors in clothes, interiors, drawings, etc.
The teacher can notice the first symptoms. It is important not to miss this fact from attention and ask for help from a psychologist if you can’t find out the nature of what is happening.
A teenager who is considering suicide is difficult to make contact with and tries to use the “forbidden methods” of manipulation.
What to do if a person talks about suicide
The first is to find out the reasons and features of such a mentality. Then you need to recognize the motive and highlight the reasons for the suicide. Children tend to commit rash and contradictory actions, usually guided by impulsive emotionality.
Psychological diagnostics by a psychologist will help to find out the features of such conversations, and apply effective methods. The key factor is the need: a teenager must feel parental control, and that someone needs him.
Effective methods are an analysis of what is happening and a conclusion. We need the help of a psychologist or a loved one who is able to touch the strings of the soul and restore peace of mind.
Finding out the reasons is not enough, need therapy:
1. Diagnostics of the social environment. It is important to know if the children have friends and what they do.
2. It is necessary to jointly look for the causes of bad mood and draw up an action plan to get rid of the negative.
3. Ask the children to tell about suicide, as they understand it, does this not cause them a sense of fear.
4. Find out when the teenager was last happy, and what made him feel that way.
5. Suicide is more often committed if they do not find the goal of further existence, therefore it is important that the adolescent be enthusiastic and busy. To help sports sections and creative circles.
6. The primary aspect of happiness is love. Do not forbid to love and meet, do not try to upset the relationship or do harm, even if the chosen one does not cause delight.
7. Talk a lot, be interested in problems and always support.
Adolescence is a difficult transition. Everyone does stupid things, but they look at it differently. Recognizing a depressed state, finding out the causes and preventing suicide is the main task.
It is important to remember that only the absence of aggression and positive emotions can heal a wounded soul. This is facilitated by a family gathering and a warm atmosphere.
Prevention of teenage suicide
Psychologists recommend preventing suicide by absolute employment. A teenager should occupy a place in society and be responsible for a certain subject, action and result.
An actual therapeutic technique is involvement in an active life. The child must learn to understand and distinguish: where is the positive side and where is the negative.
If parents begin to understand that a teenager is an adult with an unformed psyche, and it is important to feel in his place, then the number of such cases will decrease significantly.
How to prevent suicide in a teenager
Find out the causes and oppression, loss and bad mood can be at the reception of a psychologist. It will help you recognize distressing symptoms and prevent teenage suicide.
Such stupidity is most often committed in a state of affect, and this is the first reason to prevent serious conflicts. The work of a qualified psychologist is aimed at restoring emotional balance.
A loved one can recognize a critical condition and offer help to a teenager during suicide: a friend, relative or teacher. It can be either personal advice or philosophical reasoning on the subject of being with instructive moments.
Suicide is suicide, and in the last word we can distinguish two fundamentals of "self" and "murder" - the child must analyze these words, their meaning.
The teenager must be aware of what will follow. It is important to explain that weak people commit suicide, and nothing can be proved to anyone by such an act.
A strong child is one who, in spite of difficulties, overcomes his own fear and depression. Those who commit strong deeds go through obstacles and pain, but become stronger.
Adolescence - you need to survive. Mindless misconduct makes 85%, but not everyone learns the lesson properly.
Recognize and prevent suicide - the child himself can, if he learns conversations with a psychologist at a subconscious level. It is important to know: if people make mistakes, then there are reasons that need to be recognized.
A child is a person, first of all. Adolescence is an additional opportunity for parents to compensate for the lack of attention, to talk about such important things as: love, sex, relationships, self-discipline, self-control.
Explain that parents are not enemies, but the most devoted friends who need their child will never betray and will always support in any situation.
Signs by which you can determine a possible suicide
- Eating disorders: a complete lack of appetite or, conversely, uncontrolled gluttony.
- Neglecting one's own appearance: for example, untidiness in clothes for several days.
- Physical complaints: migraine or abdominal pain.
- Lack of pleasure from those activities that previously brought joy. Feeling of boredom or apathy.
- An ongoing feeling of guilt, total loneliness.
- Deterioration of concentration.
- Short temper, frequent angry reactions for minor reasons.
Diagnosis of teenage suicide
The vast majority of adolescents in one way or another let the environment know about their plans. The act of suicide itself is the final stage when the cup of patience is already full. This is preceded by a certain period of time when a teenager, under the pressure of circumstances, reflects on suicide, directly or indirectly making it clear to parents and others.
Adolescents who, by one or several signs, have a tendency to suicide, need long-term psychotherapeutic help. Of particular importance in preventing the death of minors of their own free will is timely diagnosis from others. Neglecting alarms can be fatal for a teenager.
It is also very important to analyze those factors that will help keep a person from a terrible step. The first condition is the absence of mental disorders. Other factors are as follows:
- The atmosphere of mutual assistance and understanding in the family.
- Cultural values of a teenager for which suicide is unacceptable.
- Strengthening character weaknesses. Such an Achilles heel can serve, for example, excessive sensitivity and vulnerability. If a teenager has vulnerability in any area, directed psychotherapy of this trait is necessary.
Depression and Suicide
The problem of teenage suicide is closely linked to depression. Suicidality has many symptoms inherent in a classic depressive state. The latter does not necessarily mean that a person is on the verge of suicide. But the pre-suicidal state is characterized by depression. Those activities that previously brought the teenager pleasure cease to please him. Life loses its color and becomes tasteless. In other words, the “pleasure button” breaks. Other signals that characterize depression are motor inhibition, sleep disturbances, a sense of being useless, a constant feeling of guilt, even sin.
A person can either be silent for a long time, or, conversely, suddenly become talkative. His speech consists of complaints, requests for help.
Teen Suicide Prevention
Suicide is a person’s reaction to those circumstances in which life has become impossible for him. The causes of suicide are always different, and most often an individual has several of them. But such an act is always a consequence of the fact that the conditions in which a person lived became more and more subjective unbearable for him. Teenagers always let them know about it: more than 70% of them somehow communicate their intentions to other people. It can be both seemingly ridiculous hints, and quite obvious statements.
Suicide in adolescence is largely prevented by a strategy similar to adult psychotherapy. Correction of behavior includes the application of various approaches. Firstly, it is work to increase self-esteem, help in developing an adequate attitude towards oneself. It is necessary to teach a teenager to cope with stress, find new motivation for life, achievements, and also replace the so-called significant others. In other words, it is necessary, if possible, to fill those voids that push a person to suicide. A teenage psychologist - sometimes this is the specialist who is also really needed. Therefore, among other things, do not neglect the possibility of providing professional support.
Communication with a teenager
Sometimes relatives of a potential suicide may exhibit behavior that only exacerbates the state of the teenager. And they can do it with the best of intentions. For example, unwillingness to discuss this problem or resorting to dogmas and prohibitions that exist in this regard in religion. This only increases the feeling of guilt and misunderstanding.
It must be borne in mind that those who contemplate suicide, whether adolescents or adults, are in a very serious emotional state. Guilt, sadness, anger, aggression, fear - all this vicious emotional tangle needs at least to be paid attention to. But often the family and the environment focus on precisely these depressive manifestations, are outraged by how the teenager behaves and what he says. Therefore, he does not receive support even from those who, it would seem, should come to the rescue of the first.
Teenage Suicide: Prevention Steps
- It is necessary to accept the very fact of the possibility of such a decision by a teenager. Sometimes people are afraid to exaggerate the risk of suicide. But even if they make such a mistake, it will be nothing compared to the lost life of a teenager. Therefore, you need to accept him as a person, to admit the very possibility that this growing person is, in principle, capable of committing such an act. It is not necessary to consider that if someone decided to commit suicide, no one can stop him. The temptation to think so is very great. But every day, hundreds of people around the world die of their own free will, although they could be stopped.
- It is necessary to establish a warm and trusting relationship with the child. It is impossible to completely solve all the problems that push a person to suicide. But accepting it as it is, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of a terrible act. No need to try to teach the life of a "little adult" and moralize. Much more he needs love, care and attention, expressed both verbally and in the form of hugs, touches, smiles. Caring is something that will help the anxious and desperate individual to feel needed again.
- A teenager needs to be listened to. Often he wants to express his feelings, all the emotional pain that has accumulated in him. With his behavior, he demonstrates what he would like to say out loud: "I have nothing left to value - anything for which you can still live." Communicating with a potential suicide, especially a teenager, can be difficult. But it must be remembered that it is difficult precisely because of this tendency, because a teenager can no longer concentrate on anything other than his mental pain.
- Search for the main causes of possible suicide. It is necessary not only to support the teenager and take care of him, but also to notice signs of suicidal behavior. If in a speech there are threats to take his own life, if he is lonely and isolated from society, constantly feels unhappy, all this can be serious signs of a desire to leave this world.
Prevention of suicide in a teenage environment requires first of all the participation of adults, their ability to listen to a teenager and help him. Help should not consist in teaching, but in accepting a teenager, support, training in finding alternatives. Attention to those signals that are characteristic of his behavior will help preserve human life.