Pregnancy is a period in a woman’s life when every kilogram gained is perceived joyfully. And if in the first trimester the weight of the expectant mother changes slightly, then with the growth of the child, he himself begins to grow steadily. During this period, it is important not to go “beyond the boundaries of the permissible” and not to gain excess weight, which can significantly complicate the process of pregnancy and, accordingly, the birth itself. What weight gain during pregnancy is considered normal?
Weigh Weigh Right
Weighing is a mandatory ritual of a pregnant woman. The most accurate readings can be obtained by standing on the scales in the morning before breakfast. For this procedure, select any one clothing and try not to change it with each weighing: you will see the most accurate indicators of weight change. Record the resulting numbers in a special notebook.
In addition, once a month (after 28 weeks - 2 times) before going to see a doctor, the expectant mother is weighed in the antenatal clinic.
How weight changes during pregnancy: the rate of weight gain of the mother and child by week
Weight gain during pregnancy is due not only to fetal growth. Its weight is only 25-30% of the total weight gain. About the same amount of fat is deposited, which is necessary to maintain the mother's body during gestation and feeding. 10% is the weight of the amniotic fluid, and the same amount falls on the enlarged uterus - by the last weeks of pregnancy its weight reaches a kilogram. About 25% of the weight gained during pregnancy is extra blood and extracellular fluid, as well as glandular tissue of the mammary glands. We must not forget about the placenta: its weight is approximately 5%.
Weight gain when carrying a child significantly depends on the weight of the woman before pregnancy (see table 1). For a more accurate determination of weight before pregnancy, you should use the body mass index (BMI), which is calculated by the formula:
BMI = weight (kg) / height 2 (m 2)
So, with a BMI of less than 18.5 - you are underweight, with a BMI of 18.5 to 25 - normal weight, with a BMI of 25 to 30 - overweight and with a BMI of more than 30 - obesity.
Table 1. A set of mother's body weight at different stages of pregnancy, taking into account weight before pregnancy
Pregnancy (in weeks)
If you are underweight before pregnancy
At normal weight before pregnancy
Overweight Before Pregnancy
As can be seen from the table, the smaller the woman’s weight before pregnancy, the more noticeable the increase during gestation. It is worth paying attention that weight gain occurs at different speeds. In the first months of pregnancy, body weight can increase very slightly or not increase at all if a woman suffers from severe toxicosis. Starting from the second trimester, weekly weight gain averages 300–500 grams. Toward the end of pregnancy, weight gain may slow down a bit.
On a note
Averaged data show that in the first half of pregnancy, a woman gains about 40% of the total weight gain, and in the second - about 60%.
Weight control is an important measure in pregnancy. Therefore, you should purchase accurate scales and start keeping a weight diary. It is advisable to weigh yourself every morning, even before breakfast, after visiting the toilet. It is best to weigh without clothes.
Why are these rules important for pregnancy?
According to recommendations for pregnant women of the American Institute of Health (used widely around the world), weight gain during childbirth depends on the initial weight of the woman.
To do this, you need to know your weight and height, calculate the body mass index (BMI).It is equal to the ratio of weight (kg) to height squared (m²).
If a woman weighs 50 kg with a height of 1.60 m, then a BMI is: 50 / (1.6) * 2 = 19.5.
Permissible increase based on BMI:
- up to 19.5 kg / m² - from 12.5 to 18 kg,
- 19.8 - 26 kg / m² - from 11.5 to 16 kg,
- 26 - 29 kg / m² (excess body weight) - it is recommended to gain a maximum of 11.5 kg,
- 29 kg / m² and more (severe obesity) - not more than 6 kg.
It is necessary to adhere to the norm, since an intensive set can complicate the course of pregnancy, childbirth and the future life of the child. Calculation of BMI during pregnancy is not carried out, since the indicator will be unreliable.
The table of norms for weight gain during pregnancy by week will help with its control
The greatest fear of a woman during pregnancy is naturally associated with the norms of development of the baby. But the gradually increasing arrow of the scales can cause panic. Hormonal changes change taste habits and desires, control over a portion is lost, the expectant mother begins to gain weight. Not to go beyond the norm in order to bear and give birth to a baby on their own, everyone’s task. It will also help a woman after childbirth to go through the recovery period faster and return to shape before conception.
The table of the norm of weight gain during pregnancy by weeks will allow you to control the kilo gained over the entire gestation period. In case of sudden jumps, it is necessary to adjust the nutrition and daily routine to restore performance.
How is weight gain
Natural physiological processes lead to an increase in the body weight of a pregnant woman by an average of 10-12 kg. This figure falls already at 36-38 weeks, by the time of birth. The main part is the baby’s weight (3-4 kg), as well as the uterus, which grows proportionally with the development of the baby (2 kg along with amniotic fluid). The volume of blood also increases significantly; 1.5-1.8 kg will be required to transport all nutrients and oxygen. More fluid accumulates in the body, fluctuations occur in the range from 1.5 to 2.5 kg.
Excess weight is reflected not only in the mother, the child by the time of birth can be very large, and the birth process is complicated by sizes over 4 kg. It provokes weight gain and late toxicosis, dangerous increase in pressure, and the appearance of deviations. Undesirable and weight loss, especially in the second and third trimester.
Average weight gain during pregnancy
A woman during pregnancy should gain from 9 to 14 kg, while waiting for twins - from 16 to 21 kg. It is worth emphasizing that this indicator is calculated on the basis of average data, and can vary to a lesser or greater extent.
In the first trimester, the weight does not change much: a woman usually gains no more than 2 kg. Starting from the second trimester, it changes more rapidly: 1 kg per month (or up to 300 g per week), and after seven months - up to 400 g per week (about 50 g per day). A bad signal will be the complete lack of weight gain or its rapid leap.
This calculation does not always show the real picture of weight changes, because some women can get much better at the very beginning of pregnancy, while others, on the contrary, get fat before giving birth.
Reasons for underweight mother
Sometimes weight grows too slowly. Often this is a consequence of severe toxicosis in the early stages. If toxicosis is accompanied by vomiting, the weight of the expectant mother may even slightly decrease. Among other things, toxicosis is often associated with a lack of nutrients, and for the healthy development of the fetus it is very important to get the complex of necessary vitamins and minerals on time:
- folic acid is needed to prevent the development of defects in the baby,
- iodine - for the proper physical and mental development of the fetus,
- lutein - for the formation of the brain of the baby,
- intake of B vitamins can reduce toxicosis.
For this reason, doctors often prescribe special complexes for the trimesters of pregnancy to fill the deficiency of vitamins and minerals.
Usually, by the beginning of the second trimester, toxicosis stops, and weight begins to grow steadily.
Another reason for insufficient weight gain is an unhealthy diet and attempts to follow too strict diets, dictated by the fear of getting fat after childbirth. Such behavior is very dangerous for both the expectant mother and her child: a deficiency of vitamins and minerals can lead to miscarriage and premature birth, detachment of the placenta, anemia and congenital pathologies in the child. Obviously, this is much worse than a couple of extra pounds, which, if desired, can be easily eliminated after the baby is born.
Causes of weight gain
During pregnancy, a woman gets better, not only because of the appearance and development of the baby inside her, but also because of changes in the metabolism of her body.
What determines the physiological weight gain in women:
- fetal weight - from 2.5 to 4 kg, increases gradually throughout the term, but active growth begins from 26 weeks,
- uterus - reaches a mass of up to 1 kg,
- placenta (due to which the fetus lives and feeds) - 600 - 650 g,
- Amniotic fluid volume (necessary for intrauterine life) - 900 g,
- fetal membranes (amnion, smooth chorion, part of the decidual membrane) and the umbilical cord - an average of 300 g,
- breast - increased by 0.5 kg,
- the volume of circulating blood through the vessels increases by 1 - 1.2 liters.
Due to the presence of physiological compensatory mechanisms, under the influence of hormones, the woman’s body prepares for childbirth, therefore, it is stored in liquid.
No more than 2400 g is accumulated in adipose tissue, another 2500 - 2700 in other types of tissues of organs and systems. If we summarize all of the above factors, for 9 months of bearing a child, about 13 kg is added.
Scales for pregnant women are of particular value, help to exercise weight control.
Marked weight gain may indicate the development of pathologies and disorders of lipid, protein, carbohydrate metabolism and water-salt balance. Often, a sharp increase in weight occurs due to edema, which is a sign of early or late gestosis (toxicosis).
Proper weight measurement
Control is necessarily carried out by a gynecologist, in consultation before admission, the nurse weighs the expectant mother. If there are scales at home, and a woman independently keeps track of the typed grams, it is worth remembering simple rules:
- the best time will be morning, immediately upon waking up, after breakfast, and also during the day, the weight can vary - increasing by 500-700 gr.,
- choose permanent clothing for the weighing process, the consultation does not always take into account the factor of heavy warm sweaters, massive shoes, so the figures for home and medical weighing may diverge,
- It is worth recording the data in a notebook, if necessary, showing it to the doctor, to track possible sudden changes.
The body of any pregnant woman undergoes a number of important changes that help to endure, and then safely give birth to a healthy and fully developed child. The first trimester is given to almost everyone easily, and many notice that they “blossom” during this period.
Hair gains shine, nails grow quickly, and skin shines. For this "pregnant" beauty you need to thank hormones. They are also involved in less pleasant changes, for example, excessive sensitivity or an uncontrolled desire to absorb incompatible products in large quantities.
Unfortunately, overweight is becoming a frequent companion of expectant mothers. Indeed, many pregnant women lack food control. In addition, the majority reassures itself with the fact that once you want it, it means it is necessary for the child's body.
In normal (not complicated) pregnancy by its end, body weight increases by about 10-15 kilograms, everything above these indicators is superfluous. As you know, overweight entails serious health problems that cause a lot of trouble.
Due to what a woman gains weight during pregnancy
The bulk of the kilograms gained is accounted for by the child himself, whose weight averages about 3-4 kg. Exactly the same amount is given by doctors to fat deposits. The uterus and amniotic fluid weigh up to 2 kg, an increase in blood volume - about 1.5-1.7 kg.
In this case, the placenta and enlargement of the mammary glands are not lost from attention (0.5 kg each item). The weight of additional fluid in the body of a pregnant woman can be from 1.5 to 2.8 kg.
Based on these calculations, the expectant mother can gain up to 14 kg of weight and not worry about extra pounds.
Pregnancy Weight Gain by Week
Over 40 weeks, body weight is gaining unevenly. It grows fastest in 2/3 (14 - 27 weeks). This is due to the fact that the metabolism of the expectant mother changes greatly.
The placenta matures, the intensive production of hormones begins, the volume of circulating blood, the deposition rate of "fat reserves" change.
The child has already formed bookmarks of all organs, after which they begin to grow rapidly.
At the beginning and near the end of pregnancy, weight gaining is not so intense, because in the first 12 weeks there is a laying of internal organs. In the later stages of pregnancy, functional maturation and preparation of the fetus for life outside the mother's body occurs (growth slows down).
How to gain the missing weight?
The nutrition schedule and the constant supply of essential vitamins and minerals to the body are extremely important for proper weight gain. Even in the absence of appetite, it is better to eat a little bit several times a day. Fractional nutrition helps to avoid underweight during toxicosis. However, choosing the most high-calorie dishes for a speedy normalization of the situation is not the right way. The diet should still remain healthy and balanced. Too fatty and fried foods sometimes only exacerbate toxicosis. You should give preference to dairy products, fish and meat, salads with dressings of olive or sesame oil, fruits and vegetables - especially bananas, potatoes, grapes, avocados, as they are quite high in calories. For snacks, nuts and dried fruits, yogurts are well suited.
Often, toxicosis provokes dehydration, so expectant mothers need to drink as much water as possible.
Average data allow you to control indicators, both pregnant and baby. If the bearing of one fetus occurs, the optimal weight gain is from 8 to 16 kg. Accordingly, with double indicators increase from 16 to 22 kg. These are indicative data; they can vary both to a smaller and a larger side, depending on the physiological characteristics of the woman.
Trimester Weight Gain:
- in the first trimester, all the internal organs and systems of the embryo are laid, therefore, the increase is minimal - no more than 2 kg, if toxicosis is observed during this period, on the contrary, you can lose weight dramatically, after all kilograms can be replenished,
- in the second trimester, + 1 kg per month is a good indicator, a pregnant woman and her doctor can be satisfied with this result, per week the figure should not exceed 330 g.,
- in the third trimester, the child grows intensively, along with it the uterus, space, and amniotic fluid increase in size, so an increase of 1.6-2.3 per month is considered normal, any cuts in jumps are undesirable, the baby grows gradually, and quickly received kilograms will be deposited figure mom in the form of adipose tissue.
In other cases, a woman can gain a norm of 10-14 kg at the beginning, and then keep this figure until the very birth. Or vice versa - weight gain occurs a few weeks before birth. Such physiological features cannot indicate developmental abnormalities, if other analyzes, studies correspond to the norm indicators of a given period of pregnancy.
Factors affecting the number of kilograms gained
The fact that so many kilograms will be gained during pregnancy by a woman is affected by a number of factors:
- The initial weight of the future mother.It is interesting that thin young ladies gain weight much more rapidly than ladies in the body. And the farther from the norm their “pre-pregnant” weight was, the faster it will change in a positive direction in the process of bearing the baby.
- Tendency to corpulence.Even if you adhered to a strict diet and performed effective physical exercises before pregnancy, during a happy wait, nature will still give you a couple or three extra pounds.
- Height. It is generally accepted that the higher the woman, the more kilograms during pregnancy she will gain.
- Large fruit.This is a natural indicator. A woman expecting a child who is large in weight, is gaining more than the average norm.
- Dropsy of pregnant women.Edema signals the accumulation of a large amount of fluid in the body, which also has the property of "weighting" its owner.
- Toxicosis of the first and gestosis of the third trimester of pregnancy. The nausea and vomiting that often accompany these conditions can lead to weight loss.
- Increased appetite.This factor, directly related to an increase in estrogen levels, a pregnant woman is simply obliged to take control, otherwise she is threatened with a set of extra, absolutely unnecessary, kilograms.
- Polyhydramnios.An increase in the amount of amniotic fluid also affects the number of kilograms that the arrow shows the weights.
- Age. In adulthood, a woman is more likely to exceed the weight gain norms set by doctors.
How to weigh yourself pregnant
To determine the weight of a pregnant woman, you need to get used to properly organized weighing:
- It is recommended to measure body weight once a week, you should try to get into the same time period before breakfast, which increases the accuracy of further calculations and dynamic assessment of the results.
- Weighing is done after emptying the bladder and large intestine.
- The same scales are used.
- Each time, a woman is best weighed in clothes specially designated for this (with subsequent deduction of her weight) or even without it.
- To facilitate the calculation and tracking of the level of body weight, it is better to record the results in a special notebook.
Body mass index table
Assessing the results of the obtained body weight values, all specialists and trained pregnant women use body mass index calculation. This technique allows not only to simplify all calculations, but also to easily identify excess or underweight. Special calculators have been created to calculate body mass index. They include the following values:
- weight before pregnancy (in kg),
- height (in cm)
- the presence or absence of twins,
- date of the beginning of the last menstruation,
- weight at this weighing (in kg).
In this way, an increase in body weight produced over a certain period of time from the onset of pregnancy is calculated.
Baby weight chart by week of pregnancy
Table: Fetal weight gain in utero by week
|Pregnancy, week||The weight of the unborn child, g|
Deviation from the indicated values in a newborn within 800 g is considered conditionally normal. That is, a child of 2600 - 4200 g is full-term, mature.
Weight gain by week
The analysis of indicators helps to control regimen moments and nutrition for the normal course of pregnancy. A set of kilograms occurs unevenly, until 12-14 weeks the figure may remain without apology. The most intensive growth occurs from 15 to 34 weeks, and in the period immediately before childbirth, the expectant mother may lose some weight.
Weight gain by week during pregnancy depends on the woman’s initial body mass index. Calculating it is quite simple: the weight must be divided by the height squared.Indicators from 19 to 25 are considered normal, less is the lack of kilograms, more is fullness, as well as different degrees of obesity. The less the expectant mother weighed before conception, the more she gains all 9 months (14-16 kg). If a woman before pregnancy had excess volumes, then her recruitment rate should not exceed 8-11 kg, and for obesity - up to 6 kg, with the obligatory diet.
The table shows the weight of the pregnant woman by week depending on body mass index (BMI)
What does weight gain during pregnancy consist of?
In our case, the weight is not only the mass of all organs and biological fluids of a person, but also body fat stores. In addition to the usual formation of a certain amount of subcutaneous fat, usual in the body of the expectant mother new body growth, which has its mass, constantly increasing from week to week of its intrauterine development.
Mom's weight gain during pregnancy by week
Table: norms for weight gain during pregnancy by week in women
|Pregnancy, week||Increase, g|
The given values are common for women with normosthenic body type and BMI 21-25.5 kg / m². Weight gain by 21 weeks is one third of the total set, after this period you need to weigh every 7 days, if you suspect the development of edema, you should do this more often.
Reasons for weight loss
It is impossible to determine the average indicators used for all women. There are factors that provoke excessive weight gain:
- the initial weight of the pregnant woman, the smaller it is, the faster it is replenished with the gained kilograms for the entire period of gestation,
- the genetic tendency to be overweight makes itself felt, even if rational nutrition and physical activity are observed,
- growth also matters, the higher it is, the more proportionally more will be gained,
- if the child is large, naturally, the expectant mother will eat more, and the weight will increase rapidly in the third trimester,
- swelling and dropsy leads to a delay in the body's fluid, due to which the arrow of weights will increase already at the end of the first trimester,
- a change in the hormonal background leads to an uncontrolled feeling of hunger and satiety, if the willpower does not help to limit the number of servings, the extra 5-10 kg are guaranteed,
- increased amniotic fluid, polyhydramnios often leads to overweight, the condition requires constant medical supervision,
- in women after 30-35 years, the metabolic rate decreases, a natural set of body weight occurs.
Toxicosis of the first and last trimester can lead to a sharp decrease. The greatest risks to the fetus are the deterioration of the mother in recent weeks. It is important to constantly monitor all biochemical parameters.
Pregnancy Weight Gain Weekly
It is believed that the average rate of weight gain during pregnancy is 250-300 grams per week or one kilogram per month. In the third trimester, the child grows at an accelerated pace and an increase of 400 grams per week is considered normal. From here come the previously designated 10-15 kilograms or 16-21 kilograms for twins in nine months.
It is precisely on this average rate of weight gain during pregnancy that doctors focus on weeks. If the body weight will significantly exceed, or vice versa, not reach the averaged indicators, then the gynecologist will look for the cause in the patient’s state of health. The optimal situation is when the weight increases gradually, as the fetus develops.
Inadequate weight gain may be associated with toxicosis or poor diet of a woman, which leads to delays in the development of the child, because he does not get important useful elements from food. The normal weight in newborns should be in the range of 2.5-4.5 kilograms.
Children with less weight are at risk of congenital abnormalities in their mental and physical development.In addition, lack of nutrients negatively affects the health of the mother, thus increasing the risk of premature birth or miscarriage in the early stages.
Overweight is dangerous possible diabetesand osteochondrosis. In addition, it affects arterial pressurepromotes the development of late toxicosis, leads to fetal hypoxia, as well as premature aging of the placenta (the tissue that nourishes the baby). It happens that a lot of weight is a consequence of hidden or explicit edema due to a malfunction in the urinary system.
Fluid accumulates in organs and tissues, resulting in swelling. And this is a good reason to seek medical help, because this condition is fraught with the development of renal hydronephrosis and late toxicosis.
Weight is considered overweight if you have gained:
- in any trimester over two kilograms per week,
- for the first trimester of more than four kilograms,
- for the second trimester over four and a half kilograms,
- in the third trimester over eight hundred grams per week.
Factors Affecting Pregnancy Weight Gain
- The body weight during gestation is affected by the presence and severity of early toxicosis of pregnant women, because with it there is an active loss of fluid through frequent vomiting, which leads to dehydration and weight loss.
- Such pathological variants of the course of pregnancy, such as polyhydramnios and the presence of severe edematous syndrome, contribute to weight gain.
- Bearing two or even three fruits at the same time provides a more pronounced increase in body weight than in a single pregnancy.
- The nature of the diet, the mode and amount of absorbed fluid during pregnancy has a strong effect on the metabolism of a woman, which indicates a direct influence of these factors on the formation of the fat layer, the growth of the placenta, uterus, the fetus itself and the formation of milk.
For those awaiting twins
If a woman bears 2 fruits at the same time, this entails the features of weight gain. The total mass of the placenta increases, the volume of circulating blood grows, and all physiological aspects of weight gain undergo such changes. Over the course of 40 weeks, both fruits must grow synchronously. Their mass should be the same and add equally weekly.
At birth, the mass of each of the twins / twins is 500-800 g less than at the birth of one child.
Norms of weight gain for women based on BMI:
- from 18.5 to 24.9 - the mother can gain from 17 to 25 kg,
- 25 - 29.9 - increase is limited to 14 - 23 kg,
- more than 30 - you can add only 11 - 19 kg.
Risk of abnormalities
Deterioration in the quality of life, shortness of breath, palpitations, limitation of physical activity are not the only problems that appear along with volumes. For both the baby and his mother, a set of extra pounds is associated with health risks:
- varicose veins, deterioration of the cardiovascular system, which means a lack of nutrients for the child,
- the load on the vertebral column and pressure on all internal organs increase,
- the difficulty of diagnosing the condition of the fetus during pregnancy,
- the development of hypertension and diabetes,
- planned or urgent cesarean section,
- premature birth or pregnancy
- infections of the excretory system,
- complications of the birth process are possible, both natural and during cesarean,
- fetal growth retardation,
- imbalance between the head and the pelvis,
- tendency in a child in the future development of obesity, diabetes,
- neurological disorders, episindrome.
How much a pregnant woman should gain weight depends on her initial weight. To control the normal increase, you should adhere to the main recommendations:
- learn to eat right, the diet should consist of a variety of high-quality and fresh products, proteins in the form of lean meat - rabbit, turkey, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt and whole milk are required
- vegetables and greens will help stabilize the weight, preference should also be given to traditional fruits, berries,
- fats should be present in the form of vegetable oils, seeds, nuts, it is important to control the portion quantity,
- carbohydrates useful for mom and baby are found in cereals and whole grain bread, and it’s better to refuse flour products with excess weight,
- restriction of salt will help to avoid puffiness, it is also worth controlling the consumption of sugar, store juices and sweets,
- a set of physical exercises for pregnant women will prepare for the birth process and not gain excess weight, will also accelerate the subsequent recovery period.
The pregnant woman should not starve and diet. Reducing the volume of servings and fractional nutrition will stabilize the weight to normal.
A special condition during the period of gestation requires a future mother to be attentive to her health. Due to the observance of the basics of proper nutrition, the problem of overweight will not arise.
Pregnancy Weight Gain Weekly
Let's talk about how much you can gain and how to calculate the optimal weight gain. To find out your norm, i.e. For a start, a “healthy" increase is necessary to calculate an indicator such as BMI (full name - body mass index), which is calculated by the formula I = m / h2.
Where m Is the weight in kilograms, and h - This is the growth squared in meters. For example, your weight is 60 kilograms and your height is 1.7 meters. It turns out that BMI = 60 / (1.7 * 1.7) = 20.76. In the table below the increase shows the optimal weight indicators based on body mass index.
|BMI indicators||less than 18.5 (below normal)||18.5-25 (normal)||25-30 (overweight)||30 and more (obesity)|
|The rate of weight gain, kilograms|
|With a singleton pregnancy||12,5-18||10-15||7-11||6|
|With multiple pregnancy||19-27||17-25||14-23||11-19|
As you can see, the initial weight of women has the greatest impact on how many kg they gain by the end of pregnancy. Thin people get a lot faster and immediately, which in principle for them will be within the normal range. Another thing is the weight of full moms, which will have to be constantly monitored.
Equally important is the age of the pregnant woman. The thing is that with aging, a person becomes prone to fullness. At a younger age, the struggle with extra pounds is much easier. Body type - this is another nuance that is worth considering.
Moms of asthenic type, i.e. those not inclined to fullness become “visually pregnant” faster. In contrast, the interesting position of women is hypersthenic type, i.e. prone to fullness is visible only when the abdomen begins to bulge strongly.
According to statistics, in the first trimester a woman adds 0.2 kilograms every day. However, these are very averaged indicators, as It is in this period that many suffer from severe toxicosis. It is believed that in the first half of pregnancy, only 40% of weight gain occurs.
A more intense mass gain occurs in the second trimester. This is the "golden time" when everything settles down in the body, hormones do not run amok and new forces come. Toxicosis recedes and now you can eat for two. The lion's share of weight gain occurs precisely during this period of pregnancy.
The weekly weight gain calendar is a guideline that doctors rely on when planning a routine examination of pregnant women. The expectant mother herself must exercise control over body weight, so that if you need to make adjustments to her lifestyle and diet. To do this, we need a scale and a notebook in which you can record.
It is enough to weigh once a week in the morning on an empty stomach, after emptying the bladder and intestines. For measurement accuracy, it is better to remove clothes or stay in underwear.
Average weight gain in pregnancy
|Amniotic fluid||900 g|
|Fetal sheath and umbilical cord||200-300 g|
|Increase in circulating blood volume||1200 g|
|Milk glands||500 g|
|Fat tissue||2400 g|
|Tissue fluid||2700 g|
Pregnancy Weight Gain
Pregnancy Weight Gain Weekly
How much weight do you gain during pregnancy? In women who have the usual normal physique and the correct complexion, the increase in body weight for the entire period of bearing a baby according to the obtained dynamic data for assessing the mass index, including the child, should be 10-15 kg. For cases with reduced weight, a normal level is considered to be an increase from 12 to 18 kg, with grade 1 obesity - from 6 to 10 kg, with grade 2 obesity - from 4 to 9 kg.
If a woman is waiting big addition in the family, then the scale of the rate of weight gain during pregnancy is slightly different from the scale indicated above. For normal body weight, the increase values are from 15 to 25 kg, for grade 1 obesity - from 14 to 24 kg, for grade 2 obesity - from 10 to 19 kg.
How to calculate pregnancy weight by week
To do this, you need to know the initial weight (at the time of conception) and the gestational age.
In the first 13 weeks, the increase should not be significant (5 - 10% of the total value). The second trimester is the most active in terms of mass growth. Up to 400 g per week (up to 45% of the total weight gain). From the 26th week of pregnancy (in the 3rd trimester), weight gain slows down, and for each month you can gain no more than 1 kg, up to 25% of the total value.
Causes of Overweight During Pregnancy
Being overweight is also a cause for concern. Excess weight does not at all indicate that the baby will be healthy and strong. Most often, overweight during pregnancy is the result of intemperance in food. People around constantly tell the expectant mother that she should eat for two, and pregnancy is often perceived by many as an excuse to eat anything. Meanwhile, the key to a healthy pregnancy is not a plentiful, but a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals. And a light salad or baked salmon will bring much more benefit than a whole grilled chicken or hamburger.
However, sometimes it is not a matter of increased nutrition, but of edema or constant constipation due to worsening intestinal motility. Edema can talk about kidney problems: the load on them during pregnancy increases, and they can not cope. Edema is an occasion to see a doctor. If the appearance of extra pounds is caused by fluid stagnation, the expectant mother may also note other symptoms: urination occurs less frequently than usual, rings that used to be fit, are difficult to remove from the fingers, legs swell and hurt in the evening, and obvious traces of socks remain on the ankles. However, edema is not always noticeable during an external examination, they can be hidden, and only a doctor can detect them during the examination.
On a note
Vitamin complexes containing rutin can help reduce swelling during pregnancy. It strengthens the walls of blood vessels, reduces the rate of filtration of water in the capillaries, reduces swelling of the lower extremities. Before taking, you must consult your doctor.
| How to name a girl |
Over 12,000 names
| How to name a boy |
Over 10,000 names
Not all expectant mothers understand how important it is to observe the boundaries of the rational in the matter of nutrition. Someone is worried about a figure that will be difficult to put in order after childbirth, and begins to limit himself in everything, and someone believes that now you need to eat literally “for two” and heavily relies on your favorite foods.
In fact, any deviations from the norm can equally pose a danger to the health of the woman herself and her baby. What you need to know about changes in body weight during pregnancy, and how to calculate the optimal weight gain?
This topic requires a separate consideration, therefore, in this material we will give only general recommendations on how to eat right. We also talk about which products for pregnant women are permissible and vice versa are prohibited. To begin with, we note that the diet of the expectant mother should be adjusted taking into account the needs of her body.
For example, you are a hundred percent meat-eater and do not like vegetables or prefer sweets to fruits and so on. Then you will have to reconsider your preferences so that the child grows and develops harmoniously.
In addition, it should be borne in mind that pregnancy is stress for the body and it needs powerful support to ensure the life of two at once.
Balanced nutrition provides:
- proper functioning of the body,
- meeting the needs of a developing embryo,
- formation and growth of the placenta,
- breast swelling and prolonged lactation.
If the balance of vitamins, beneficial compounds and other nutrients is upset, then there is a risk:
- development of intrauterine pathologies in the fetus,
- reduce all important vital signs of the newborn,
- insufficient immunity child
- undeveloped intelligence
- hereditary diseases
- low life expectancy.
Bad habits (smoking, alcohol, etc.) destroy the baby’s body no less than malnutrition. Therefore, all this should be abandoned, at least during pregnancy, if there is no willpower to “tie up” forever.
Major nutritional errors during pregnancy:
- Irregular meals. The lack of a full breakfast, a lost diet, snacks and evening zhor - all this affects the health of the mother and child. Therefore, during pregnancy, we adhere to the rules and principles of a healthy lifestyle diet. The most hearty meal that provides energy in the morning is breakfast. After it (a couple of hours should pass), you can have a light snack. For lunch, eat soup, and for the second, cook steamed meat and porridge, and for dinner - fish and vegetables.
- Overeating at night harms metabolic processes and burdens the gastrointestinal tract. As a result, you sleep poorly, and food is not absorbed normally. Excess calories instantly transform into excess fat, and it in turn negatively affects weight.
- Eating dry food with your favorite cookies, rolls and other flour products not only adds kilograms, but also increases the risk of development stomach ulcers or gastritis.
- Too spicy food, which sometimes is so desirable for pregnant women, also harms, and also stimulates the appetite.
- Sweets and pastries are acceptable, but only in moderation. Excess blood sugar leads not only to extra pounds, but also significantly increases the risk of developing diabetes mellitus.
During pregnancy, it is important to eat meat, fish and seafood, as well as fresh vegetables and fruits, sour and dairy products, whole grain bread, cereals and pasta from durum wheat. These products will provide the necessary level of important beneficial compounds. Better to cook food, bake or cook. If possible, it is advisable to discard salt and sugar or significantly reduce their content in ready-made dishes.
In the first trimester, it’s important to get plenty vitamin b9, i.e. folic acid, which is indispensable for the growth of organs and tissues, as well as the development of the nervous system. She is rich in the content of cheeses, beets, cabbage, legumes and carrots.
Nutrition in the second trimester should be rich in content:
What should be the norm of weight during pregnancy
During the period of bearing a child, changes occur in the female body that are visible to the eye: a rounded abdomen and increasing body weight. Weight during pregnancy should be carefully monitored not only by the pregnant woman herself, but also by the leading gynecologist.
Sudden changes to the greater or lesser side indicate a possible pathological process.
In some pregnant women, the figure remains almost unchanged (except for a grown abdomen). And in others, the fullness of the hips, buttocks, hands is added. It depends on the speed of metabolic processes in the female body, and not on a large amount of food.
Of course, uncontrolled intake of products is one of the reasons for gaining body weight. But if the metabolic processes in the body are normal, this can not contribute to the rapid gain of excess weight.
How to calculate the weight of the baby during pregnancy
Weekly baby weight can only be calculated after 30 weeks. For short periods, it is difficult to do, since the fruit is small. In the 3rd trimester, the increase in fetal weight is 200 - 300 g per week.
Calculate the body weight of the fetus in the later stages can be according to the formula Jordania. To do this, measure the abdominal circumference at the navel, determine the height of the uterine fundus (distance from the xiphoid process to the womb) and multiply the 2 numbers obtained. An interesting fact is that the height of the uterine fundus corresponds to the gestational age in weeks.
Calculation in 3 steps:
- abdominal circumference (OK) = 93 cm,
- the height of the uterus (VDM) is 30 cm (that is, a period of 30 weeks),
- the estimated mass of the fetus is equal to OJ * VDM = 93 * 30 = 2790 g.
The formula of Yakubova is also applicable. You need to add the numbers of the abdominal circumference and the height of the uterus, then divide by 4 and multiply by 100.
- the patient’s waist is 93 cm
- height of standing of the bottom of the uterus - 30 cm,
- the estimated weight of the fetus is (93 + 30) / 4 * 100 = 3075 g.
When calculating this kind of error, there are errors, so the most accurate and correct answer to the question about the parameters of the child can be obtained by ultrasound.
How to lose weight during pregnancy
We will make a reservation right away: all recommendations for weight loss during pregnancy relate to situations where weight gain is too fast. As already mentioned, the rate of weight gain is individual. But if you add more than two kilograms per week in the first and second trimester or more than 800 grams per week during the third trimester, and also if you gained more than four kilograms during the first three months of pregnancy, then you should immediately consult a doctor.
If you are overweight during pregnancy, you need to eat as many vegetables and fruits as possible: they are relatively low-calorie, while saturating for a long time. In addition, plant foods are rich in fiber, which is necessary for the normal functioning of the intestines and prevent constipation.
To cope with hunger, you need to eat often, but in small portions. Fast carbohydrates like flour and sweet should be replaced by slow ones - all the same fruits and vegetables, cereals, cereal bread. If you use oil in cooking, then give preference to quality vegetable. In order to slow down the weight gain, you can replace one meal several times a week with a glass of low-fat kefir. We must not forget about proteins: excellent sources of protein are eggs, cottage cheese, lean meat, fish, and seafood.
Physical activity also helps control weight. Of course, sports associated with high loads and the risk of injuries are contraindicated for expectant mothers. However, walking or swimming in the pool is safe. They not only reduce weight, but also improve well-being.
What is the danger of underweight or overweight during pregnancy?
The average weight gain during pregnancy is from 9 to 14 kg. Of course, this value cannot be applied to each specific case, since the exact figure depends on many factors, but a sharp deviation from it in one or the other direction should alert the expectant mother.
- Underweight often happens in pregnant women in the first months, that is, during the period when they suffer from toxicosis. If the loss is not accompanied by severe vomiting (after each meal), the baby is most likely out of danger.
The greatest risk is low weight in the second or third trimesterswhen the fetus is in great need of nutrients and their deficiency can lead to a newborn’s body mass deficit, various developmental pathologies and psychological problems. In a woman, in this case, the level of important hormones can fall, which is fraught with miscarriage or premature birth.
Overweight is even more dangerous when it occurs not because of overeating, but because of edema. - usually in such cases, the increase occurs in a short period of time (more than a kilogram per week). This may be the first symptom of dropsy - an excessive accumulation of fluid in the tissues of the body, the main reason for which is the disruption of the kidneys.
And in order to notice the threatening state in time and take measures, the expectant mother should know how much should be the optimal weight gain during pregnancy in her case.
Weight loss during pregnancy
Weight loss in pregnant women should be considered in the trimesters of pregnancy.
- In the first trimester weight loss is most often an obvious sign of early toxicosis, in which a pregnant woman loses kilograms due to dehydration and frequent rejection of a woman from a full meal.
- For second and third trimesters the reasons for weight loss are very similar and are expressed in the pregnant woman’s malnutrition (most often due to fear of gaining extra pounds, which is an absolutely unjustified and dangerous desire for the unborn baby) or the presence of somatic pathology of any organs or systems.
In any case, the woman is be sure to consult with her gynecologist leading her pregnancy.
How not to gain weight during pregnancy
In order not to gain extra pounds, adhere to the following rules:
- Do not overeat. The good old “you need it for two” or “if you want, it means the child requires it”, sounding from the lips of good grandmothers and aunts should not confuse you and justify the night zhory. The body must receive exactly the amount of calories that is required for the normal development of the fetus and no more. You can eat more often, but in small portions, then you will not feel hunger. It is believed that it is possible without harm to health to increase the calorie content of your diet during pregnancy by a maximum of 200-300 calories. But here it is important to observe the measure, this is especially true for women whose BMI is higher than normal.
- Avoid harmful foods that are in excess of fast carbohydrates. All kinds of sweets, chocolates and bars, confectionery and flour - these are sources of sugar, which is absorbed quickly and gives only a temporary feeling of satiety, disappearing instantly, and again you want to eat. As a result, you absorb harmful sugar in conjunction with food additives and confectionery fats.
- Arrange sparing fasting days for yourself. This does not mean that we advise you to fast during pregnancy. Once every two weeks, you can take a break from your stomach. On this day, replace most of your diet with vegetables or dairy products.
- Walk more, and not only in good and sunny weather in the fresh air. This rule helps support the health of everyone, without exception. Particularly important physical activity (of course within reason) for pregnant women. The more you move, the better your blood is saturated with oxygen, which means that you protect your baby from oxygen starvation.
- Refuse harmful and useless drinks. Prefer ordinary drinking water or natural stewed fruit, fruit drinks and juices without sugar. The recommended daily volume of liquid for pregnant women is 1.5 liters. Two-thirds should drink before 16.00 to avoid swelling.
Products that are allowed to eat pregnant:
- Dietary flour products, bran or rye whole grain bread,
- vegetable soups (we limit potatoes, cereals, pasta) to 200 grams per day,
- meat products and steamed, baked or boiled meat,
- Fish and seafood,
- milk, dairy and sour-milk products (yogurt without additives and sugar, low-fat cottage cheese),
- eggs (preferably quail),
- cereals (oatmeal, buckwheat - the most useful),
- fresh or steamed vegetables,
- sauces and salad dressings (sour cream, olive oil),
- fresh fruits,
- butter up to 10 grams per day,
- refined sunflower oil should be replaced with unrefined olive oil,
- drinks (tea, not purchased packaged juices, fruit drinks, water).
As you can see, the initial weight of women has the greatest impact on how many kg they gain by the end of pregnancy. Thin people get a lot faster and immediately, which in principle for them will be within the normal range. Another thing is the weight of full moms, which will have to be constantly monitored.
Normally, during the gestation period, the pregnant woman should put on weight from 10 to 15 kg.
If more - an indicator of excess kilograms, less - a lack of nutrients. In both cases, an adjustment is necessary.
The causes of excess body weight during pregnancy are conditionally divided into hereditary - this is a genetic predisposition to fullness, and acquired:
- body type: asthenics and hypersthenics,
- pregnant age
- toxicosis: its presence or absence,
- pregnant appetite
- multiple pregnancy
- pathological course of pregnancy.
The amount of kilograms also depends on the trimester of pregnancy. So at the beginning of pregnancy (in the first trimester) weight loss may be noted, and closer to 12 weeks - recovery.
In the second trimester, an intensive mass gain occurs, so it is necessary to control the appetite.
In the third trimester, the mass continues to grow, but not so fast.
At 37-39 weeks, weight stops.
Weight loss during pregnancy
In addition to the increase, during pregnancy there may be a decrease in body weight. In the first trimester, a woman often experiences severe stress. While she does not know that she is pregnant, she is worried about a delay in her period. At 8 - 9 weeks, toxicosis develops. In this case, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite are observed. As a result, the pregnant woman is losing weight a little.
In the 2nd trimester, pregnancy passes relatively calmly, in the majority this period starts from 18 weeks. A woman does not feel discomfort in the psycho-emotional sense. There is a stabilization of physiological processes, and the fetus begins to grow actively.
Stopping weight gain or severe malnutrition may indicate malnutrition. Weight gain during pregnancy is a physiological process.
Excess weight will quickly be eliminated in the postpartum period, and debilitating diets can lead to fetal malnutrition (underdevelopment).
In the 3rd trimester, a few days before the birth, the woman's weight decreases slightly. The main cause of weight gain is edema, not an increase in adipose tissue. Since the hormonal background of the body changes before childbirth, the woman begins to leave excess fluid, urination becomes more frequent - weight decreases.
How can vitamins help?
The need for vitamins and minerals in the expectant mother is increasing, but many do not take this into account, continuing to eat the same way as before pregnancy, and not taking any vitamin-mineral complexes. As a result, there is a shortage of certain substances. And sometimes a lack or excess of weight is associated with this. At the same time, it is extremely important for a pregnant woman to get the whole complex of necessary vitamins and minerals for her health and the health of the unborn baby.
As mentioned earlier, the pregnant woman’s nutritional behavior is changing, but not all the nutrients necessary for the healthy growth of the baby, the expectant mother receives with food. Therefore, doctors often prescribe medications containing the entire list of the necessary vitamins and minerals.Since the needs of the expectant mother vary depending on the trimester of pregnancy, it is important to choose such a vitamin-mineral complex, which includes only the necessary micro and macro elements at this stage in a suitable dosage.
Edema, often the cause of weight gain, is one of the signs of a lack of vitamin B6 or routine. Vitamin B6 is necessary for the proper absorption of potassium and sodium. With a deficiency of this vitamin, the balance is disturbed, and an excess of sodium leads to edema. As already mentioned, vitamin P (rutin, rutoside) reduces the rate of filtration of water in the capillaries, reduces swelling of the legs, strengthens blood vessels. Toxicosis, which is a frequent problem of many expectant mothers in the early stages of pregnancy, leads to delayed weight gain, and is also often the result of malnutrition. A lack of vitamins C, E and B6 increases the risk of toxicosis. In addition, a lack of vitamin B6 affects the functioning of the nervous system and leads to the development of anxiety conditions in which appetite may worsen.
So, as we understood, even with proper nutrition and weight gain within normal limits, a pregnant woman can not always get everything she needs from her usual diet. Often there must be too much food to contain the right amount of nutrients, and the freshness of the products often leaves much to be desired. Therefore, in addition to nutrition, it is worth taking vitamin-mineral complexes containing the necessary nutrients, such as folic acid, iodine, lutein, rutin and other vitamins and minerals.
Whatever measures the expectant mother intended to take to accelerate or slow down weight gain during pregnancy, they should definitely be discussed with a doctor. No need to try to fix the situation yourself: lack or excess weight can indicate health problems. And the doctor should know about them in order to provide timely assistance to both the expectant mother and her baby, as well as reduce the risk of fetal pathology.
Why do pregnant women gain weight?
Contrary to popular belief, pregnant women are gaining excess weight not only due to the mass of the growing baby and body fat - they make up about half of the total figure. Over the course of nine months, a woman's uterus, blood and intercellular fluid volume increase, amniotic fluid and placenta form, and mammary glands begin to grow actively.
These changes are necessary for the correct growth and development of the baby, that is, not only the gynecologist, but also the woman herself must track them.
Pathological weight gain in a pregnant woman
A large weight gain during pregnancy is far from safe. The causes of its occurrence can be considered large edema due to weakened excretion of fluid from the body, the aforementioned multi-water pregnancy and the presence of hypothyroidism with a reduced secretion of thyroid hormones into the blood.
In the event that the gynecologist detects the presence of such a large weight gain during pregnancy, untimely and irrational assistance to them can lead to the development of gestosis of pregnant women, diabetes mellitus and Rh conflict between the baby and the woman.
Adequate treatment pathological weight gain during pregnancy is:
- in a balanced diet without junk foods,
- in limiting water intake,
- in the most complete laboratory, instrumental and hardware examination of a woman,
- in regular walks and reasonable home physical activity of the future mother.
- in the introduction of fasting days.
How not to gain extra pounds during pregnancy
Solving the problem of gaining extra weight is easy. A woman should understand that the diet should be balanced and simple. Dishes should include natural products: meat, fish, vegetables, cereals, pasta.
- You can eat steamed food without a lot of oil. It is recommended to use soups on low-fat broths, cereals, vegetable salads.
- You can not be limited to bread, but it is advisable to eat not fresh, but yesterday.
- You should drink water, homemade compotes, fruit drinks, yogurts, milk are useful. The drinking regimen during pregnancy is determined by the gynecologist. Normally, a woman should drink no more than 1,500 ml of fluid per day, including soups, tea, and other drinks.
Exceeding this indicator can provoke the appearance of edema. If the mass is added daily and began to grow rapidly, then you need to see a doctor.
In order to identify a pathological increase in time, data on weekly weighing should be noted on the calendar.
In order not to gain excess weight, it is recommended to refuse fast food, a lot of sweets, alcohol, spicy, fatty foods, highly carbonated drinks, strong coffee during pregnancy.
Ready juices in bags are also not recommended, since they contain a large amount of sugar. Daily calories for women is calculated individually, depending on the initial BMI, but not less than 1500 kcal.
You can use the Calorie Calculator for pregnant women to comply with your intake.
Maternity Vitamin Tips
Many women carrying a child are faced with some unpleasant symptoms caused by a lack of vitamins and minerals. Weight problems during pregnancy are also often associated with a lack of nutrients. It would seem that the solution is simple - buy a vitamin and mineral complex in a pharmacy. But which one to choose?
Firstly, it should be exactly the vitamins for pregnant women that correspond to the current trimester, because the requirements for nutrients at different stages of pregnancy are very different.
Secondly, for the health of the expectant mother and baby, a set of vitamins is important, including folic acid, iodine, lutein, rutin, and B and C vitamins in the required dosages are desirable.
So, for example, Complivit® Trimesterum is a line of three vitamin-mineral complexes corresponding to each trimester of pregnancy. When creating these IUDs, the latest scientific data on changes in the micronutrient requirements of expectant mothers were used. Each complex contains 22 of the most important vitamins and minerals: folic acid, iodine, B vitamins, lutein, rutin, and other trace elements. The dosage of IUDs is ideal for filling the deficiency of nutrients at different stages: during pregnancy planning, the first, second and third trimesters and during breastfeeding. It is also worth noting that the drug is a medicine, which means that, unlike dietary supplements, it is subject to mandatory state registration with Roszdravnadzor.
“Complivit® Trimestrum” is produced using a special technology of separate granulation - this allows to achieve optimal compatibility of minerals and vitamins in one tablet without compromising their absorption.
Registration number of Complivit® Trimesterum in the State Register of Medicinal Products: No. LSR-008555/10.
How to measure weight
In order to know the exact weight, you must:
- Use the same scale. With frequent changes of weights, the weight will vary in one direction or another.
- Measure body weight no more than 1 time per week. Preferably on the same day of the week.
- Weigh in the morning on an empty stomach by visiting the toilet room (with an empty bladder and intestines).
- Weigh in light clothing or in one underwear. If the measurement of body weight is carried out at an appointment in the doctor’s office of an obstetrician-gynecologist - in underwear and without shoes (it is possible in socks or light slippers).
- To control weight record the result.
What determines weight gain during pregnancy?
In order to calculate the allowable weight gain for a woman, her initial weight should be taken into account, that is, BMI (body mass index), which is calculated by a special formula: body weight in kilograms / height in meters squared.The resulting result allows us to assess how close the woman’s weight is to normal: if the figure falls into the range 19.8-26, the weight is normal, less than 19 is insufficient, more than 26 is excessive, and a BMI above 30 indicates obesity.
You can calculate your BMI using the calculator here.
- Slender, fragile women (the so-called asthenic type) during pregnancy should gain 13-18 kg,
- For women with a normal physique and weight, the allowable increase is 11-16 kg,
- Overweight ladies normally gain from 7 to 11 kg,
- With obesity, the doctor prescribes a special diet for the expectant mother, and her weight gain should not exceed 6 kg.
In addition, it is very important to take into account the gestational age of the fetus by weeks, since on each of them in the body of the woman and the fetus certain changes occur that affect the total weight.
Of course, it is very difficult to calculate the correct figure, taking into account all factors, so pregnant women are better off using a special weight gain calculator during pregnancy.
Fasting days for pregnant women
This type of therapy and prevention of overweight in a pregnant woman is recommended for no more than once or twice a week.
Fasting day is eating single products and water in an amount of about 1 liter. The expectant mother can experiment and decide on the menu on fasting days, however, it is still worth discussing her plans with a leading gynecologist.
Examples of fasting days:
- Vegetable (zucchini or pumpkin with the addition of a small amount of sour cream).
- Apple (kilogram of fresh apples or baked for 6 meals).
- Fruit (using the same apples, but all the fruits at the request of the mother and the recommendations of the doctor).
We eat right
Upon learning of their pregnancy, everyone is looking for ways to develop the fetus correctly. Someone begins to leaf through a mountain of literature, and someone starts to go all out with respect to food. Do not eat for two! This does not bring any benefit to the child, and becomes the cause of the appearance of extra pounds.
Some, having decided that the waist should always be, go on a diet even in an interesting position. As a result of fasting and limiting the use of high-calorie foods, a future mother harms a child. Do not despair because of the weight, it is better to establish the line that will help keep it in the right proportions.
To do this, you need to know the following:
- for the proper development of the child you need to eat regularly and fully,
- you should change your previous lifestyle to a more sparing one,
- It is important not to forget about visits to the doctor, the rate of weight gain during pregnancy by weeks requires constant monitoring by the obstetrician-gynecologist.
Consequences of deviations from the norm
It is necessary to comply with the norms of weight gain, since a strong set gives negative consequences, as does pregnancy with obesity. Such women have a high risk of developing arterial hypertension, which may remain after childbirth. High blood pressure during pregnancy can lead to complications in the later stages. Among them:
- preeclampsia (edema, hypertension, massive excretion of protein in the urine),
- eclampsia (development of convulsive seizures).
Another consequence of the excess increase is a violation of carbohydrate metabolism.
For a pregnant woman, this is fraught with the development of gestational diabetes mellitus, mesocenosis (vaginal infection) often appears, and for the fetus, macrosomia (large fetus weighing more than 4.2 kg) and diabetic fetopathy.
Such a newborn may have impaired development of the nervous system or other developmental abnormalities. In some cases, there is evidence of pathology in dental mortgages and cryptorchidism (undescended testes in the scrotum) in boys.
Often, women with excess body norms are diagnosed with the development of a large fetus, polyhydramnios. At the same time, the process of future birth is complicated.The likelihood of impaired labor is increasing.
There may be the development of a clinically narrow pelvis. This is a condition when the fetus is too large for the existing size of the mother's pelvis. At the same time, there will already be a question about operative delivery (cesarean section).
The pace of weight gain by the expectant mother
Weight gain during pregnancy during normal course does not occur spontaneously.
Due to the personality of the body, weight gain will be different. In some, the appetite increases from the first day of the delay - accelerated weight gain occurs. For others, only after 20 weeks a noticeable increase appears.
There are limit values for body weight in the gestational period, depending on the period. Scheme of weight gain during pregnancy by week and month (table):
- For the period from the moment of conception and 4 weeks of pregnancy, a change in body weight is not observed.
- From 5 to 8 weeks, there may be weight loss - this is a normal physiological course, for example due to toxicosis. Normally, the loss is not more than 2 kg, and the increase is not more than 1 kg.
- At 3 months (from 9 to 12 weeks) - an average of 200 g should be added per week, the total increase is no more than 2 kg.
- With 4 months begins a noticeable weight gain - on average, weight gain ranges from 1 to 4 kg.
- At 5 months - up to 5 kg, the minimum increase is 3 kg.
- With the beginning of 6 months, the 2nd trimester of pregnancy ends - there is an intensity in increasing the weight of the pregnant woman, but not only due to fat deposits, but due to the growth of the fetus. Fluctuations range from 6 to 9 kg.
- At 7 months - no more than 12 kg.
- From 8 to 9 months, the activity of mass gain decreases.
Weight gain at 9 months of gestation stops for 2 reasons:
- The fruit has reached its size.
- The pregnant woman moves less and performs physical activity.
During this period, it is important to monitor the amount, because a sharp jump in a kilogram is an alarming signal of the baby's condition.
Normal values: from 9 to 15 kg.
Weight by Week of Pregnancy
Weight gain during pregnancy is uneven over the weeks - at the very beginning it is almost invisible, significantly increases towards the middle and again decreases closer to childbirth.
In the first trimester, both weight gain and weight loss can be considered the norm. On average, during this period, the expectant mother gains from 1.5 to 2.5 kg.
The second trimester, when the baby begins to grow and develop especially actively, a woman should be especially careful, as weight gain takes on its original meaning. The figures are distributed as follows: about 500 g per week for thin women, not more than 450 g for pregnant women with normal weight, and not more than 300 g for full ones.
In the third trimester, pregnant women gain less weight, and this process is natural, as their body prepares for the baby to be born.
Weight gain videos during pregnancy
For a more complete familiarization with the topic weight gain during pregnancy you can watch the video, which popularly covers the causes of increased body weight, the rules and recommendations for weighing and calculating mass indices, as well as normal values of weight gain during each week of the fetal period of the fetus.
What is control for?
When the expectant mother knows the norm of weight gain during pregnancy by weeks, she can easily not only control the development of the fetus and her health, but also identify a number of pathologies in time. If the pregnant woman does not recover, or, conversely, this happens rapidly, it means that it is necessary to pass additional tests and undergo examinations. This must be done for a number of the following reasons:
- a big increase may indicate diabetes,
- this happens due to edema and, accordingly, improper functioning of internal organs,
- Inadequate weight gain during pregnancy by week may indicate a fetal development problem or amniotic fluid problems.
It is worth repeating that only doctors who conduct pregnancy can make an accurate diagnosis, a future woman in labor should only help them with independent control. By the way, in order not to recover quickly, doctors are allowed to add 100 kilocalories to their daily food in the first months, and from the second trimester raise the bar to 300.
Pregnancy Weight Calculator
Adipose tissue is an active endocrine formation that closely interacts with vital organs and systems of the body. Fat is able to generate estrogens, and with menopause it is the main source of female sex hormones. In addition to estrogens, fat produces ghrelin and leptin - substances that participate in the formation of normal menstrual function in girls.
Weight gain during pregnancy is an integral change in all women who are in an "interesting" position. Even pregnant women with initial deficiency of body weight will be able to cope. But both overweight, its lack or sharp fluctuations in pregnant women are a problem that can lead to serious complications.
Why is slow weight gain dangerous?
Slow weight gain is a relative concept for pregnant women, since in the first trimester it can not only not arrive, but also contract.
Some expectant mothers gain the first kilograms only after the 14th week - usually this applies to miniature women who do not have a genetic predisposition to overweight or women suffering from toxicosis. In the first case, the weight arrives slowly over the course of nine months, which, with normal health, should not cause concern for a pregnant woman. If we talk about women suffering from toxicosis, then by the second trimester the ailment usually disappears, body weight returns to normal and weight gain goes on.
In such a situation, a woman needs to abandon restrictions and bring her diet back to normal. You need to eat in small portions several times a day, between meals, snack on cheese, nuts or dried fruits, and you can add a little butter or sour cream to the food.
Any woman can calculate how much is the norm of weight gain during pregnancy by weeks. It is worth making a reservation right away: if you eat right, then the norm for each will be the addition of 12-13 kilograms. Everything can be done easily and simply. The main thing is not to look into the refrigerator every minute and have the scales on hand.
The main indicator in calculating the weight that a woman can gain in nine months is the one she had before pregnancy. So, at the first visit to the doctor, her usual weight is recorded, and later a concept such as body mass index (BMI) is calculated. It is worth recalling the course of school mathematics. To know BMI, you need to divide the weight by the height squared and multiply the result by a thousand. For example, if a woman weighs 62 kilograms, and her height is 167 centimeters, then her BMI will be 22.23. And now it’s worth getting on the scales and stadiometer and calculate your indicators.
According to them, you can allow the tummy to grow by these numbers:
- if the BMI is 20-27, it is allowed to add 10 to 13 kilograms in weight.
- if BMI is more than 27, then more than 10 kilograms is not worth typing.
If the expectant mother succeeds in achieving such results that establish the norms of weight gain during pregnancy by weeks, then she will feel better and easier. Yes, and a cesarean section may not be needed.
But there are no rules without exceptions. Women whose pregnancy is not the first can recover from 14 to 20 kilograms. And it happens that a well-recovering woman gives birth to a child with a small weight. Therefore, only a gynecologist can determine these subtleties.
How do pregnant women gain weight?
If you decide to give birth to a baby, but are worried that the figure will deteriorate, you should know that weight gain during pregnancy is the norm,in order to psychologically prepare for this and not try to tightly control this physiological process. The main thing is that a set of kilograms runs smoothly without bending up or down.
What contributes to weight gain during pregnancy:
- Fetoplacental system - two closely related functional independent systems (maternal and fetal system), interconnected by a placenta to ensure conditions and healthy development of the fetus. The fetoplacental complex includes the vital organs of the mother and fetus: the adrenal glands, synthesizing steroids, the liver, which is involved in the metabolism of placental hormones, and the kidneys, which excrete metabolic products.
- Intracellular and interstitial fluid, increasing in volume.
- Fat accumulation.
- The accumulation of components of metabolic processes necessary for embryogenesis.
- Physiological growth of the fetus due to which the uterus increases.
- Breast enlargement.
For example, if the fetus weighs 3300 g., Then the uterus weighs 900 g., The placenta with the membrane - 400 g., Amniotic fluid - 900 g., The volume of circulating blood increases by 1200 g., The mammary glands - by 500 g. , fluid in tissues - 2700 gr.
What is the danger of quick weight gain?
Fast weight gain is typical for multiple pregnancies, women with a deficit of body weight and too young mothers whose body is still developing.
In other cases, it is the result of normal overeating and requires adjusting the diet. Overweight does not bear a direct threat to the life of the child, but it can be the cause of diabetes, high blood pressure, preeclampsia and overweight of the baby, which can lead to complications during childbirth and even a cesarean section.
If the weight arrives too quickly, the woman is advised to consult a nutritionist and refuse fast-digesting carbohydrates (sweets, pastries, pasta) and include fruits, vegetables, cereals and dairy products in her menu.
The situation is much more dangerous if excess weight is the result of edema. In order to identify the problem in time and get medical help, the future mother should have a weight-gain chart during pregnancy and accurate scales - an increase of more than 1 kg per week is a serious cause for concern.
Why weight is increasing
Of course, the kilograms gained during pregnancy are not superfluous, they are evenly distributed throughout the body. This is the placenta, uterus, breast, amniotic fluid. Just the last doctors attach great importance. If the examination revealed that they are exceeding the norm or have changed color, this may be cause for concern.
The rate of weight gain in pregnant women
The rate of weight gain during pregnancy is different for all women, it does not depend on the initial weight, since it is impossible to judge the presence of extra pounds, but on the ratio of the height and weight of the pregnant woman, which is the body mass index (BMI). The lower the BMI initially, the more weight gain.
BMI formula: weight in kilograms divided by height squared meters.
Norms and deviations of BMI:
|—||BMI, kg / m2||Norms of increase, kg|
|Lack of body weight||Less than 18.5||12,5–18|
|Obesity I degree||Above 30||Until 6|
In addition to generally accepted medical indicators, weight gain during pregnancy also depends on individual characteristics. It is believed that a pregnant woman will gain more kilograms with such factors:
- age: the older, the greater the increase,
- fruit: the larger (4 kg or more), the higher the increase since the greater the volume of amniotic waters and the larger the latter,
- with multiple pregnancy, the total normal amount of added kilograms can be up to 22 kg.
If a woman before pregnancy had extra pounds, then during the gestation period she can gain less than the average norm. And vice versa, if there was a lack of body weight, then the increase will be greater.
Is weight loss dangerous during pregnancy?
In the first trimester of pregnancy, weight loss is quite possible due to toxicosis, in the second trimester this situation is usually associated with various diseases and stresses, and in the third trimester, a loss of 1-2 kg is a harbinger of an early birth.
In any case, weight gain during pregnancy is a purely individual matter, so it is very important for the expectant mother to monitor her well-being and the quality of the food she takes.
If the weight goes away quickly and abruptly (especially the first and second trimester), you should immediately inform your doctor, as this can be a serious threat to the health and even life of the baby.
Pregnant woman weight table
How to correctly calculate the norms of weight gain during pregnancy by week? The table, developed by obstetrician-gynecologists, is a loyal assistant in this. Prerequisite: it must not be thrown into the far corner, but be conducted weekly. Thanks to her, you can see how the weight has changed.
If this did not happen in the first and second trimester (and you need to gain 500 grams per week), then you should be careful and consult a doctor. And if in the third trimester the indicators of the table every week go for one kilogram, then this is a cause for concern.
So, what are the norms of weight gain during pregnancy? The table reports that the expectant mother can recover by a certain number of kilograms depending on the body mass index at the beginning of pregnancy.
|Below 19.8||15 kg|
|19.8 to 26.0||14 kg|
|More than 26||9 kg|
|Gestation week||A set of kg with a BMI of less than 19.8||A set of kg at a BMI of 19.8–26.0||A set of kg with a BMI of more than 26|
The table shows that by the 20-week gestation period, the normal set of adipose tissue is 4–5 kg, the normal weekly increase is 250–300 g, and in the III trimester up to 400 g. The weight gain table during pregnancy serves as a guideline, it gives average values, since a lot depends on individual characteristics. If you typed a few grams more or less than the table shows, you do not need to worry if the numbers are not critical.
In addition, BMI does not take into account the type of woman’s constitution, but only height and weight, so the index is not an ideal criterion.
For example, in women involved in sports or heavy physical labor, BMI may be higher than normal due to developed muscles. In fact, they get overweight or even obesity, in fact this is not.
On the other hand, thin-bodied women with a normal index can have real problems with body weight.
It is also important how weight is gained: gradually or abruptly, what was the increase in the previous gestational period (if it was), how did the mass change during puberty and throughout life.
Norms of weight gain and fetal growth
Increases in the height and weight of the child are no less important parameters than the body weight of the future mother. They begin to measure it from about the 8th week, since it is simply impossible to do this earlier.
The baby’s body weight and height increase unevenly - at first the fetus grows rapidly, and starting from the 14-15th week the process slows down slightly. This is due to the fact that the main task of the child during this period is to develop new skills (blinking, moving hands, etc.), and not gain weight and height. At the beginning of the third trimester, the baby's weight gain is again accelerated, and by the date of birth, his body weight reaches from 2.5 to 3.5 kg.
The weight and height of the child are individual parameters and depend on many factors, primarily gender and genetic predisposition, but there are average numbers that are considered normal.
In addition, on an ultrasound scan, indicators such as:
- BDP - biparietal size of the head (the distance between the outer surface of the lower contour and the inner surface of the lower),
- DB - thigh length,
- Coolant - abdominal circumference,
- DHA is the diameter of the chest.
These indicators should increase in proportion to the gestational age, and together with growth and weight are very important parameters that can tell about the presence or absence of any pathologies.
Any lag or lead is a reason for consultation with a doctor, but in no case a reason for panic, because every little person is an individuality that can have its own characteristics.
Medical indicators of weight with double
Bearing twins is very hard physically. Here everything is added twice as much: toxicosis, and loads on the body, and, of course, kilograms. Usually children in twins are not born with the same weight as one born child. The largest twins most often weigh 2.5 kilograms. For all the time a woman should gain about 15-22 kilograms.
How is this supposed to happen right? If in the first quarter of pregnancy the expectant mother should recover by one and a half to two kilograms, then in the second - to gain up to seven hundred grams weekly.And in the same way, the expectant mother must not forget to control the weight both independently and under obstetric supervision.
How much do women actually gain?
BMI is the main indicator used to assess weight gain and identify excess weight or its deficiency in pregnant women. The initial body weight has a great influence on the increase, which is confirmed by numerous studies.
The least over the entire gestational period are women with obesity who had an initial BMI of 30 kg / m2 or more. The average increase is up to 10 kg, but can be either 8 kg or 13 kg, all individually.
In the first trimester, a set of kilograms occurs slowly and slightly.
The main increase occurs in the II and III trimesters of pregnancy, when the fetus develops intensively, the amount of amniotic fluid and the volume of circulating blood increase.
- In turn, hormonal metabolism and body fat affect each other. Hormonal imbalances and hormones that activate during gestation affect the accumulation of excess fat, especially progesterone. Additionally, the placenta produces the hormone of hunger - leptin. Therefore, pregnant women who do not suffer from toxicosis often overeat.
- Women with an initial lack of body weight add most in the first trimester, the average increase is up to three kg. In obese women, the average increase in the first weeks is up to 1 kg.
- Some pregnant women do not gain weight in the first trimester at all. Least of all, the initial BMI affects the increase in the last three-month gestational period.
The average weight gain in almost all pregnant women in this period is up to 4 kg.
OkiLoki | November 21, 2019 00:46
Thank you for the article. My Figol forever diagnoses me 26.0 excessive weight gain. And for this calculator and your article, I have a shortage. How excessive should the weight gain be in order to make such a diagnosis? Although I say that toxicosis was at first, then the weight returned, doesn’t listen at all, the husband says she is a fool ... And even my BMI at week 30 is 25. A kilogram (sorry to go to the toilet) always varies here and there. And in 2 weeks to gain 1kg or 1.5kg is this an EXTRAORDINARY increase?
Tanya | June 19, 2019 16:16
Great article, thanks for the calculator and clarification. I was worried that I gained a lot, it turns out a little shortage,))) although the ultrasound puts the fetus a little larger than the term)))
Perizat | 10 November 2017 21:09
Goodnight! I will say one thing. The site surprised me by all 300%. Not that the rest. Bravo. Keep it up. I received all the exact answers to exciting questions. Class
Rita | November 26, 2018 21:58
Good afternoon! I lost 400 grams for 32 weeks. For all the time I gained 3700. The child weighs 1850. The doctor says the child is large and puts me on a diet. This is normal?
Uu, Leninogorsk | December 13, 2018 14:18
Your child is normal, especially when the ultrasound is not always accurate. No diets other than salt restriction are needed. latent edema, including late toxicosis, is possible. The total increase is small
Lulu | October 11, 2018 1:31 p.m.
I stopped worrying that I gained 5 kg before the 15th week, because before pregnancy I was losing weight ... It is very useful to read on this site)
Natalya | March 10, 2018 09:29
Good afternoon! Very informative site resolved all the main issues arising from such a joyful event as pregnancy
Ksyu | October 14, 2018 17:41
Loved the site. A lot of useful information. Everything is painted in detail
Big weight? Never!
A lot of words have already been said about the norms of weight gain during pregnancy by weeks and about what fraught with overweight in kilograms is fraught with. In this article, you should not affect kidney diseases, heredity or any serious diseases that only a doctor can judge. I would like to supplement the unsightly picture of overeating with the following unfavorable moments:
- there is an additional load on the heart system,
- swelling, varicose veins and heaviness in the legs appear,
- feeling of constant back pain,
- late toxicosis, and hence the threat to the development of the fetus,
- there is a risk of the baby appearing ahead of schedule.
You need to take in the habit of control over such a mandatory factor as the norms of weight gain during pregnancy by week!
Reasons for weight gain during pregnancy
Numerous observations and studies have shown that the trend towards an increase in the number of pregnant women gaining extra pounds, which began in the middle of the last century, continues to this day. If in the 80s pregnant women gained an average of 10 kg for the entire period of gestation, as of today, the average figure has grown to 15 kg.
The reasons for weight gain in pregnant women may be such factors:
- stereotypes of behavior (for example, "eat for two"),
- many pregnant women and their environment believe that when carrying a child it is necessary to stop any physical activity, labor, sport, activity, that you only need to lie throughout pregnancy so as not to harm the child,
- overeating, “seizing” stress or toxicosis.
It was previously believed that the root of the problem of overweight in pregnant women lies in endocrine disorders, this was called neuroendocrine syndrome.
Currently, scientists have abandoned this theory, since healthy pregnant women do not have hormonal pathological disorders, all hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy are functional. A set of extra pounds is associated with basic overeating.
Another factor affecting the development of obesity in pregnant women is the wrong psycho-emotional attitude.
Scientists in San Francisco conducted a study and found out an interesting fact: 50% of expectant mothers with a lack of weight planned to gain less kilograms than is necessary for the normal course of gestation.
And 25% of expectant mothers with excess weight planned to gain more kilograms than was necessary. This is an incorrect assessment of their condition, which can lead to a threat to their own health and the health of the baby.
You can’t worry!
Many of the women are extremely sensitive to a set of kilograms. Do not do this in any case. Firstly, pregnancy is a temporary phenomenon, therefore both a large belly and other enlarged parts of the body will remain in the past (and will be remembered with emotion). Secondly, after six months or a year, you can return to the previous forms. This will directly depend on the activity of the woman and the desire to lose weight. But do not forget how much the norm of weight gain during pregnancy for weeks is.
And now you need to walk more, eat the right food and forget about diets. And no nervous shocks! The child does everything with his mother: he eats and worries. It must be remembered that future motherhood adorns a woman, makes her treat with special love and respect.
It is worth remembering that the norms of weight gain during pregnancy by twins by weeks also indicate the correct development and birth of healthy babies. Even without knowing the exact medical indicators or the results of an ultrasound, you can guess the number of future children. By the way the “house” of the mother grows, you can determine how many residents settled in it. If during a one-year pregnancy, the stomach becomes noticeable at about the fifth month, then with double it happens much earlier. But this is not always an accurate indicator, most likely, just popular observations.
Excess weight hazard
Many women during pregnancy gain extra pounds, which increases the risk of complications. Such risks are higher among women who initially had an increased BMI.
According to numerous studies, women with a BMI of less than 18.5 have almost no excessive increase. Half of pregnant women with a BMI of more than 25 or with initial obesity are gaining excess weight.
40% of pregnant women recover according to the recommended indicators in the table, and 10% are underweight.
Excessive weight gain in pregnant women can be a medical problem, causing serious consequences:
- late toxicosis (preeclampsia - a violation of the functions of vital organs),
- gestational diabetes
- spontaneous miscarriage,
- cesarean delivery,
- Chronic renal failure (chronic placental insufficiency),
- the formation of too large a fetus,
- varicose veins
- fetal hypoglycemia (decrease in blood glucose concentration),
- hyperbilirubinemia (icteric color of the skin due to excessive accumulation of bilirubin in the blood and tissues).
The long-term effects of pregnant obesity include metabolic disorders in children in adulthood. Such children are more susceptible than others to the incidence of hypertension and type II diabetes. Complications can be not only for those women who gained excessive weight during pregnancy, but also for those who initially had an overweight BMI.
As for the initial underweight, it is the cause of premature birth in 70–72% of cases, impaired embryogenesis, birth of infants with weight deficiency. Such children get sick more often, are more susceptible to infectious diseases.
Is pregnancy to blame for obesity after childbirth?
Many women believe that they are overweight during the gestation period, after childbirth they can not bring the figure back to normal, and even grow stout even more. This is usually associated with hormonal restructuring.
The balance of hormones is indirectly evidenced by the ratio of waist to hips. The optimal indicator of this ratio is 0.68–0.7, which "speaks" of normal metabolism, and most importantly, the normal concentration of estrogen.
Improper distribution of fat or excessive accumulation may indirectly indicate a hormonal disorder.
Studies on this issue have shown that in fact, obesity has nothing to do with the fact of bearing a child or even several children. That is, if during pregnancy, a woman has recovered and after birth has problems with extra pounds, then this would have happened inevitably, regardless of whether this woman gave birth or never even became pregnant.
According to the results of studies by American scientists who observed 1,500 pregnant women, it turned out that women who did not gain 16 kg before delivery usually do not have problems with overweight in the future.
After childbirth, their weight normalizes relatively quickly and remains stable. In time, returning to previous forms takes from six months to one and a half years, it all depends on individual characteristics.
Such women can gain an extra 1-2 pounds.
When a woman carries a baby, putting fat on her stomach, hips and breasts is vital in case of force majeure (for example, hunger, cold) so that the mother and baby are provided with nutrients for some time.
In addition, body fat can serve as a warming element for a child in extreme cold and, in some way, as a “safety cushion” in the event of a fall or accidental shock.
That is, fat plays a protective role for the fetus, so it is unacceptable to starve or eat a strict diet during pregnancy.
If there are problems of excess weight during gestation, then only the leading gynecologist can make changes to the diet, give advice on physical activity. The implementation of medical recommendations will help not only to avoid serious complications during the gestational period, but also quickly return to their previous forms after childbirth.
What is the rate of weight gain during pregnancy by week and month?
A lady awaiting addition to the family actively rounds out forms, everything is taken for granted. However, right now it is necessary to carefully and attentively treat nutrition in order to observe a line close to ideal between the necessary for the developing organism and the normal bearing of the baby and excessive.
Weight should be normal now, not later. Since his influence on future events, on the safe birth of a baby and the well-being of his mother is significant.
Weekly Pregnancy Weight Gain Chart
Pregnancy is a time when you can not worry about a set of extra pounds. This is rather a joyful change in figure. But do not eat too much. To control body weight, there is a weekly weight gain schedule for pregnancy. The article is devoted to the issue of weight gain during gestation.
Factors on which weight gain depends
Expectant mothers get fat and lose weight in different ways. Natural factors influence this process:
how many kilos did the scales show before getting pregnant,
- genetic features
- growth indicators of a woman
- possible swelling
- toxicosis of pregnant women,
- the mass of the child himself,
- food habits,
Age also matters, the older the mom, the more chances to get fat. Appetite also changes in plus or minus. It is affected, for example, by toxicosis, which, fortunately, does not occur in everyone and does not last forever.
Accurate body weight
Starting from the moment of registration, a pregnant woman must be weighed before a visit to a gynecologist. But she does it many times more. Measuring the body weight of a pregnant woman will help you find out how much the baby has grown, if it is not sorting the norm.
Doctors recommend doing this in the morning before eating. You need to weigh in certain clothes or in a bra and underpants to make clear calculations.
Ideally, you need to put on the scales once a week, and record the indicators in a dedicated notebook. Such a manipulation will help to calculate the weight gain. It would be nice to have scales at home and take measurements on one measuring device, then the error will be minimal.
When attending a consultation, an obstetrician-gynecologist will evaluate the increase during pregnancy in each trimester. In case of deviation from the norm, he will take measures.
What is the general rate of weight gain during pregnancy
A woman preparing for motherhood is simply obliged to replenish up to 15 pounds. There is no need to worry about this. And that's why. Weight in these months increases due to objective points:
- The fruit itself pulls three to four kilos, at least.
- The body fills with blood up to two kilos.
- The place where there is small and amniotic fluid is another couple kilos.
- Fat in reserve is deposited approximately as much as the infant weighs.
- Both breasts get heavier up to a kilogram.
- The aftermath is still a pound.
- The total mass of water in the body increases to three kilos.
So it turns out that the figure is blurring significantly, nature has ordered wisely, there is nothing to worry about, but only for the benefit.
How much weight do you gain during pregnancy? The expectant mother for the entire period can gain up to 15 kg, and when carrying twins - up to 20 kg at the norm. But these indicators in reality are much higher. After all, a pregnant woman is trying, eating “for two,” which is not necessary. While waiting for the baby, she should eat 500 calories more than the average person.
Starting from 13 weeks, the rate gradually increases and amounts to 300 grams per week. And if the deadline has passed the mark of 27 weeks - 50 grams per day - the minimum increase.
In the early stages of pregnancy, weight begins to increase, but not rapidly - approximately 2 - 2.5 kg for the first trimester.
If a woman realized that her body weight is not increasing at all or it happens too quickly, the help of a doctor is needed. Weight is added smoothly, in the absence of health troubles. These are just average statistics.
In fact, everything can radically differ from what is defined by the standards: one girl adds in the body in the first half of bearing, the other before birth. The body is individual and reacts differently to pregnancy.
Pregnancy Weight Gain Weekly Chart
We are all special and unique, therefore, there is no ideal total value of allowable kilos at each stage of the responsible period of bearing a baby. The observing doctor primarily focuses on the initial weight indications, and also takes into account the individual characteristics of the physique of the lady preparing for motherhood.
|Weeks||BMI at 18.5||BMI from 18.5 to 25||BMI 30 and above|
|4||800 g||800 g||600 g|
|6||1500 g||1100 g||700 g|
|8||1700 g||1300 g||800 g|
|10||1800 g||1400 g||900 g|
|12||2300 g||1600 g||1100 g|
|14||2800 g||2100 g||1300 g|
|16||3700 g||3100 g||1500 g|
|18||4700 g||4100 g||2400 g|
|20||6100 g||6300 g||3000 g|
|22||7300 g||7400 g||3500 g|
|24||8600 g||8500 g||3900 g|
|26||10 000 g||10 000 g||5000 g|
|28||13 000 g||11 000 g||5400 g|
|30||14 000 g||12 000 g||5900 g|
|32||15 000 g||13 000 g||6400 g|
|34||16 000 g||14 000 g||7300 g|
|36||17 000 g||15 000 g||79 00 g|
|38||18 000 g||16 000 g||8600 g|
|40||18 000 g||16 000 g||9100 g|
For some ladies you can’t even say that they carry a child under their hearts. It is so natural for them. They may even lose weight due to a strange state of health called toxicosis. Others are rapidly gaining weight.
20 weeks of pregnancy: what happens to the woman’s body and the fetus can be found in the material on our website.
Learn how to do pregnant Kegel exercises from here.
Kilograms that a pregnant woman is gaining are not pure fat masses. The total volume is formed from a number of components.
What is the weight during pregnancy:
- child. The main component of the gained mass, on average 3 - 4 kg,
- fat layer, the same volume is allocated to it the same weight as the baby, up to 5 kg,
- uterus. With the company of the fetus, it also increases in size. They give her about 1 kg,
- amniotic fluid. On average, amniotic fluid make up to 2 liters of water, that is, 1.5-1.7 kg,
- excessive blood volume. 1.5 kg is assigned to it,
- enlarged breasts (0.5 kg, and sometimes more).
Calculations are indicated on the last days before delivery. The allowable weight gain, according to these figures, is 15 kg.
For more accurate information, you need to make calculations based on the original kilograms. There are several factors that influence how much expectant mothers gain weight during pregnancy.
- initial weight, and a tendency to be overweight,
- baby size
- amniotic fluid
Components affect the amount of extra pounds. It is worth controlling the diet and the amount of food.
Monthly Pregnancy Weight Gain
Since the baby is expected, you will have to make it a rule to weigh yourself weekly on a home scale. On an empty stomach, in the same outfit. A device called a scale will reflect objective numbers.
|Months||BMI less than 18.5||BMI up to 26||BMI from 26 and above|
|1||900 g||700 g||500 g|
|2||600 g||1200 g||700 g|
|3||2000 g||1500 g||1000 g|
|4||3600 g||3000 g||1400 g|
|5||6,000 g||5900 g||2900 g|
|6||8600 g||8500 g||3900 g|
|7||13 000 g||11 000 g||5400 g|
|8||15 000 g||13 000 g||6400 g|
|9||18 000 g||16 000 g||9100 g|
In general, it is absolutely wonderful if in the first semester of bearing a fetus, mom gets 40% of what she is given by nature to collect, and in the remaining semester - 60%.
The expectant mother will be able to calculate the allowed weight gain with her own hands using the graph below.
Based on physique, women are divided into three categories:
- thin (mothers with a body mass index up to 19.8),
- medium (index between 19.8 and 26),
- dense (over 26).
According to the index, it is necessary to find indicators in the table that are specific to them.
It is important to understand that only her obstetrician-gynecologist is allowed to control the amount of food and the number of calories eaten by a pregnant woman. It is strictly forbidden to independently restrict oneself in food, because you can not commit a sharp refusal to eat. Such behavior can adversely affect the development of the fetus and the formation of its bone tissues, internal organs and systems.
It is better to spend the whole pregnancy actively and eating properly than to sit at the kitchen in the kitchen and then suffer from excess weight, which is so difficult to lose.
How to calculate individual weight gain rates
There are standards for the average enlargement of the figure, and there are individual characteristics. In order not to compare ourselves with ideal numbers, we must clearly understand what is the norm for us.
It is worth counting individual indexing.Weighed 50 kilos and sprout 160 cm? We produce a tricky mathematical calculation: 50 / (1.6x1.6) = 19.5. This is an indicator of BMI.
The higher this final figure, the less actively the expectant mother is getting fat. That is, chubby for a long time manages to hide his position, while slender very quickly reveal their condition in front of others.
But that is not all. It is necessary to take into account the growth of the husband, since the fetus will accordingly not be small either, if the husband is tall. This means that this will also affect the overall weight.
But consider this a deviation is not at all worth it. A competent doctor will surely ask a lot of questions to clearly determine the normal and abnormal weight changes in the coming months.
What determines weight gain during pregnancy, and how to find out the norms of weight gain by week?
In addition to worries about the normal course of pregnancy, caring for the baby’s health and safe delivery, women are more worried about more mundane problems: many are afraid that having gained a fair amount of extra pounds during the period of bearing the baby, they will no longer be able to put in shape or return to their previous shape .
However, wise nature provided for everything. Of course, your body weight will increase over nine months, as the baby inside you grows and develops.
Until the very birth, the doctor systematically monitors how your weight changes in order to understand whether everything is in order, because the threat to you and the child is both excessive weight gain and insufficient.
How to track weight gain
To be sure that everything is going well, the most important indicator is the normal rounding of the figure, you must have a normal weight meter at home. Of course, and within the walls of a medical institution, such a procedure is available to everyone.
The doctor will also weigh each time they meet. But still, it is better to have your own weight measuring device. And it is desirable to have an electronic scale. When weighing on a floor scale, follow these guidelines:
- it is desirable to install the scales on the same place, on a flat floor,
- this should be done in the morning, after going to the toilet and on an empty stomach,
- it is advisable to weigh without clothes, or in the same clothes, since even the lightest part can affect grams, and they are also important,
- it is necessary to write down indicators in a notebook so that there are no annoying errors.
Why electronic scales are preferable? They are more sensitive, more accurate.
But they are also more susceptible to the flat or uneven floor surface on which they are installed.
Deadline for kilograms: how much can you get better before giving birth?
There is absolutely no “ideal” weight for pregnancy, because the rate of increase depends on the indicators that you had initially. The increase in body weight can differ very significantly: in the limit of fluctuations - from a small weight loss to a set of twenty kilograms and even more.
In order not to cause a pathological weight gain, which subsequently leads to various complications during and after childbirth, you need to regularly visit your doctor so that he can monitor the indicators by comparing them with the norms of weight gain.
This will help to timely detect the problem - excess weight gain or lack of weight, and then take measures to solve it. You can also weigh yourself at home. You need to get on the scales correctly: it is best to do this in the morning on an empty stomach (before breakfast).
What threatens deviations from the norm
Increasing fullness is considered the norm, an inevitable phenomenon. Mom needs to give all the “building materials” to the baby, pass the big test for the body during the birth itself, but also provide high-quality breast milk to the newborn.
And this requires a lot of strength and a lot of energy. Therefore, even a small deviation from the norm in the direction of weight gain cannot be considered as a danger.
But why then are doctors anxiously watching the blurry figure of a woman? The fact is that the resulting fullness can threaten serious complications for mom and baby.
Insufficient body weight weakens the mother herself and negatively affects the development of the fetus. The child may lag behind in physical and mental development. There is a risk of premature birth.
But even a child born on time, weighing less than two and a half kilograms, as a rule, has health problems.
Excess body mass is not very scary, but it can hide such a dangerous condition as gestosis. Too much water has accumulated in the body. Pathology threatens not only the woman herself, but also her baby. And it may end in death.
How and why is weight gaining?
Your body is just beginning to rebuild and adapt to its new status.
In the beginning, even a reverse reaction is possible, that is, severe weight loss if you are concerned about pronounced toxicosis (loss of appetite, severe intolerance to smells and exacerbation of tastes, constant urges to nausea, and possibly vomiting). During this time, usually gain about 1-2 kg.
- But already from the second trimester, the weight will change much more rapidly: up to 250-300 g per week or 1 kg per month.
- With figures that significantly exceed these indicators, doctors will suspect the presence of serious problems or complications (dropsy of pregnant women - latent and pronounced edema).
- In the third trimester, in particular, after seven months, a woman will gain even more: about 50 g per day or up to 400 g per week, because the baby is already getting ready for her birth.
So, on average, for nine months you can gain about 9-14 kg, and if twins are expected - about 16-21 kg.
However, these figures are only general indicators from which the doctor will build. There are also special methods for calculating weight and a scale for its average physiological increase (for the last trimester).
Signs of gestosis
When a woman visits a doctor, he will certainly look at weight, blood pressure, and send him for urine analysis. Especially if you observe suspicious fullness and swelling. The doctor may suspect the development of gestosis. Its symptoms are as follows:
- jumps in blood pressure,
- the presence of protein in the urine.
Even if only two of the symptoms listed are detected, the doctor will diagnose gestosis and send Mom to the hospital for treatment. With gestosis, the baby suffers from a lack of oxygen, loses weight and can die.
Sometimes the symptoms of this condition are not too pronounced. In order to suspect an excess of water accumulating in the body, it is necessary to compare the amount of fluid drunk per day and the amount allocated.
Usually their ratio is the same. In the summer heat, it may be less due to increased sweating. But still not by much.
Even if you feel normal, listen to the opinion of your local gynecologist. And follow his recommendations.
What are the average rates of weight gain at different stages of pregnancy?
All these processes are normal, the main thing is that the weight does not go beyond the maximum indicators.
Estimated weekly weight gain calendar
|Weekly gestation||Average total weight gain in kilograms||The average weight gain per week in grams|
|First 17 weeks||2,35||140|
What to do to gain weight
If the body weight is insufficient, you can resort to some natural methods to increase it. Try to achieve the result in the following ways:
- To eat in small portions at several meals a day. Even during toxicosis, try to eat at least a small piece between attacks.
- If toxicosis torments greatly, eat in the position when its strength subsides: in bed, in the fresh air.
- Always have something with you for a healthy snack: dried fruits, dates, biscuits, cheese, yogurt.
- If you are not allergic, lean on peanut butter.It contains a lot of useful trace elements.
- Replace mayonnaise with sour cream. Season the dishes with cream, butter.
- Drink whatever you like, but nothing can compare with ordinary clean water in its benefits.
Toxicosis usually does not last long. And then normal appetite is restored. But even two or three months of weight loss is extremely undesirable for the unborn baby.
Is it possible to calculate individual rates of weight gain?
Many women are so afraid of getting overweight too much that they begin to follow a strict diet, which causes a lack of vitamins and nutrients that the child needs so much for full growth and development.
There is a way to help you personally know your rate. Each person will have this figure, because it must be calculated according to a special formula.
First you need to calculate your body mass index (or BMI).
To do this, divide the two numbers: your weight (in kilograms) is currently the height (in meters) squared. So you get the maximum maximum weight that you can gain during pregnancy without any harm to your own health or the health of the baby.
General recommendations for stabilizing normal weight
To maintain a normal state of weight, you just need to follow a normal diet. And do not try to "eat for two", or go to the other extreme - go on a diet. And here is what is really useful to do:
- There are meat and fish products.
- Refuse refined vegetable oil and margarine. Better a little butter and unrefined olive, any other unrefined oil.
- Steam, bake, cook at the stake.
- To eat in small portions, but often.
- Do not overeat for the evening. It is better if the last meal is not later than three, five hours before bedtime.
- Familiar desserts should be replaced with cottage cheese, yogurts, fruits, dried fruits.
- Limit salt intake to 5 g.
- Take walks in the evenings.
It is advisable to refuse salted cucumbers and tomatoes, smoked sausages, smoked meat and fish during pregnancy. These foods cause increased thirst. And you do not need excess fluid now.
An interesting position and expectation of the baby can be considered as a test of responsibility and consciousness. And in this period of life, one should sacrifice something, at least with one's eating habits. However, always listen to your own body and intuition. Take care of yourself and your baby.
For more information on weight gain during pregnancy, see the following video.
There are standards for the average enlargement of the figure, and there are individual characteristics. In order not to compare ourselves with ideal numbers, we must clearly understand what is the norm for us.
How much can you gain for pregnancy
It would seem that a woman and scales during pregnancy are not compatible concepts. Constantly I want to treat yourself to tasty and healthy, but not impossible. And it’s not even about treats and sweets, but banal fruits and berries. For example, you knew that cherries get much better, while they didn’t. My pregnant friend found out about this at the age of 9 months, when she was forced to deny herself the pleasure of eating it due to her huge weight gain.
Moreover, the gynecologist advised to exclude berries from the diet, arguing that in the later stages, extra kg is likely to add weight to the child. He will be born with a body mass of more than 4 kg, which will significantly complicate the delivery process. What else could be?
Preeclampsia, or toxicosis of pregnant women, as well as diabetes of expectant mothers. In the first case, the condition is life-threatening due to the risk of increased blood pressure and the development of seizures. In the second, the baby risks going overweight and prolonging the birth process.
Finally, the last reason why it is not recommended to exceed the established norms is the general state of health and condition of the mother.After carrying the fetus, everyone wants to return to their previous shape as quickly as possible. It turns out that overweight women gained over the previous 9 months are not so easy to do.
There is another extreme - shortage. The constant horror stories that hover around an interesting situation, as well as the inability to calculate independently or find information about how much should be typed in each month of pregnancy, make a woman completely refuse to eat or eat very little. Just not to overdo it. What follows from this?
That's right, new complications and pathologies, including:
- insufficient fetal body mass (up to 2.5 kg),
- the risk of developing physical and psychological problems in him, including brain pathology, metabolic disorders,
- a drop in estrogen levels in the mother’s blood and a risk of miscarriage.
It is worth noting that choosing between malnutrition and overeating during pregnancy, doctors say that the first is worse. Just because the danger that lies in wait for mother and baby in this case is more serious.
So what weight is considered normal in an interesting position? It turns out that it all depends on the individual characteristics of the body, because the calculation of weight gain is carried out taking into account pre-pregnant body weight.
The most interesting thing is that the smaller it is, the more it is allowed to dial. Phyto-lovers of sweets - this is your finest hour!
- ladies whose weight is considered insufficient (below normal) are allowed to gain 12.5 - 18 kg,
- with normal weight - 11.5 - 16 kg,
- overweight - 7 - 11.5 kg,
- for obesity, it is not recommended to gain more than 6 kg (exceptions can be made only when the doctor himself recommends the opposite).
But most of all you can eat future mummies, expecting the addition of twins in the family - they are allowed to recover 16 to 22 kg or more. And the previous weight does not matter. The same applies to future mothers with multiple pregnancies. It is also interesting that the older the pregnant, the more she will gain. And this is not a recommendation, but a statement of fact.
And how to understand if you have normal weight, you ask? It turns out that it is enough to calculate the body mass index according to the formula where the weight is divided by the height squared, taken in meters (for example: 1.65 m).
- the figure is below 18.5, then there is a shortage
- an indicator within 18, 5 - 22 - a woman has normal weight,
- an indicator in the range of 25-30 - there are problems with being overweight,
- an indicator over 30 is obesity.
Of course, this indicator can only be calculated to correct it before pregnancy. That is why most gynecologists today insist on the need for its planning. Just to minimize the development of complications over 9 months and make an invaluable contribution to the health of the future baby!
What is the weight of the pregnant
Many of us with a smile remember our pregnant state. At the moment when the arrow of the scales seemed to roll over, one thought was throbbing in the head: it's all a child. I’m giving birth and I’ll drop everything. At the time of delivery, of course. Moms of expectant mothers often made fun of such thoughts, and not in vain, because sometimes extra pounds do not go away with the child. Correction of your body sometimes requires months of hard work.
What does the correct weight mean during pregnancy and what does it consist of? It turns out that:
- the mass of the body of the child, which is allocated about 3 - 3.5 kg (normal, naturally),
- placenta - 0.5 kg
- uterus - 1 kg
- amniotic fluid - another 1 kg is gained,
- breast - girls, rejoice, it increases by 0.5 kg,
- blood - during this period, up to 1.5 kg is additionally produced,
- water - accumulates up to 2 kg,
- additional body fat in the mother's body - up to 4 kg.
Do not worry about the last point, since the body is interested in it itself. Moreover, in an interesting position, all conditions are created for the excessive production of fat cells. Do you know why?
They are needed to protect the fetal egg and the fetus at the time of bearing the crumbs. And it's not just about bruises and falls. This has been the case since antiquity, when due to lack of food a woman was forced to starve for several days. Therefore, when this food entered the body, it put it off in reserve. So that the unborn child is enough. And let not one hundred years have passed since then, the mechanism still works. Just in case.
Fighting this is useless. It just needs to be accepted. In the end, adhering to the doctor’s recommendations, you can subsequently lose all unnecessary.
Overweight: the main causes of abnormalities
Trigger factors, which can affect a large increase in mass, can be the most commonplace, and indicate the emergence of very serious problems:
- during pregnancy, many mothers notice a strong increase in appetite or constantly experience a feeling of hunger.
As a result of constant overeating, the hypothalamus (a special center in the human brain responsible for regulating hunger) fails, and your body will need more and more large portions to experience satiety. At some point, weight begins to grow rapidly and becomes pathologically excessive.
- If you add to the constant overeating that the energy received from food is practically not consumed due to a sedentary lifestyle and low physical activity, then you will get a second reason.
- Ordinary genetics and problems with the endocrine system can also be the cause of excess weight.
- A significant increase in kilograms is often caused not by an increase in the volume of adipose tissue, but by the appearance of edema.
This is a serious cause for concern, because swelling can lead to gestosis and other complications,
- initial heavy weight or obesity.
Those women who suffer from excess (pathological) weight gain are usually prescribed prophylactic complex therapy. The most important thing to do is to keep your weight under constant control: regularly weigh yourself and monitor all the necessary indicators to see their dynamics.
- Further, the doctor will recommend that you balance your diet. This is not about diets or fasting, but about a reasonable proper diet (eat small doses several times a day).
- Your menu should be based on fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, low-fat or lean meats and fish, dairy products (non-fat), etc.
- Exclude from the diet all fried, flour, sweets, convenience foods and instant foods.
- Try to steam and consume fewer spices.
- If you are overweight, it is also good to count calories (you can reduce their number to 10%). It is worthwhile to monitor the amount of fluid drunk to prevent swelling. Your doctor may recommend that you do fasting days once a week.
The doctor will also help you choose a set of exercises that will meet your deadline and individual characteristics. Moderate physical activity will not only destroy excess calories, but also have a positive effect on well-being, prepare the body for childbirth, and keep your body in good shape.
Overweight threatens a pregnant woman with many complications:
- it can trigger various health problems,
- cause varicose veins,
- cause a serious load on the spine, as well as the internal organs of a woman,
- cause the development of various diseases (preeclampsia, diabetes, hypertension, hypercoagulation),
- there are cases when overweight provoked the threat of miscarriage or premature birth, was one of the factors in miscarriage and premature discharge of amniotic fluid,
- in addition, there will be certain complications due to the birth of a large fetus, including the additional difficulties of postpartum rehabilitation.
For the baby in the womb, your overweight is fraught with considerable problems, among which there is the likelihood of a risk of developing some diseases, and a tendency to fulness in the future, and oxygen starvation, and nutrient deficiency, and much more.
Inadequate weight gain: causes and consequences
- In most cases, doctors are faced with excessive weight gain in a pregnant woman, but it can be the other way around when a woman is gaining less than normal or even losing weight.
- This situation is also alarming, because it can lead to the fact that the child will not be provided with useful substances necessary for the full growth and development, and this will affect the formation of his organs and systems.
- As a result, the risk of premature birth, developmental delay or lag, and even spontaneous abortion, is more likely.
Usually inadequate weight gain or sudden loss of weight occurs in the first trimester.
The cause of this phenomenon is toxicosis. Also, malfunctions in the body's work are possible if a woman is starving or eating poorly, or follows a strict diet / fast.
As a rule, with the correction of nutrition and after the disappearance of toxicosis, everything comes back to normal. True, weight can begin to grow very rapidly. The doctor will help you balance the diet and gain the necessary body weight. The main thing is to seek help in time to prevent exhaustion of the body or other complications.
When a baby grows inside you, you can gain weight that will be more or less than the average norm. Monitor the indicators yourself, consult your doctor: if you feel good and all the tests show excellent results, then your pregnancy is proceeding normally and there is no reason for worries.
Weekly rate of increase
The body of each woman is individual, as is the rate of weight gain during pregnancy. Moreover, at the same representative of a fine article in different months he can accelerate or slow down. And let the indicators then go against the medical recommendations, however, they exist and have the right to life.
At the same time, a uniform increase in body weight and keeping it within the indicated boundaries is very helpful in the future mother. She significantly reduces the risk of developing pregnancy companions. What is it about? ABOUT:
- back and shoulder pains
- varicose veins
- digestive problems, heaviness in the stomach,
- shortness of breath
- constant fatigue.
Due to the extra kg, the doctor has difficulties with determining the gestational age by manual methods (analysis of the height of the bottom and the size of the uterus). Due to the large fetus, the course of pregnancy is complicated, it may be necessary to deliver by cesarean section.
The rate of increase weekly
|Term||Norm for mom, kg||The weight of the child at this time, g||Child height, cm|
|11||4,190||10 — 16||6 — 8|
|12||4,550||16 – 20||8 – 10|
|13||4,900||21 – 30||10 – 12|
|14||5,260||31 – 49||12 – 14|
|15||5,600||50 – 74||14 – 16|
|16||5,950||75 – 114||16 – 18|
|17||6,290||115 – 159||18 – 20|
|18||6,620||160 – 214||20 – 22|
|19||6,960||215 – 269||22 – 24|
|20||7,290||270 – 349||24 – 26|
|21||7,612||350 – 409||26 – 27|
|22||7,935||410 – 499||27 – 28|
|23||8,250||500 – 599||28 – 30|
|24||8,560||600 – 749||30 – 32|
|25||8,870||750 – 849||32 – 33|
|26||9,180||850 – 999||33 – 34|
|27||9,485||1000 – 1199||34 – 36|
|28||9,780||1200 – 1349||36 – 37|
|29||10,080||1350 – 1499||37 – 39|
|30||10,370||1500 – 1649||39 – 40|
|31||10,660||1650 – 1799||40 – 42|
|32||10,943||1800 – 1949||42 – 43|
|33||11,223||1950 – 2099||44 – 45|
|34||11,500||2100 – 2249||45 – 46|
|35||11,770||2250 – 2499||47 – 48|
|36||12,040||2500 – 2599||48 – 49|
|37||12,300||2600 – 2799||49 – 50|
|38||12,565||2800 – 2999||50 – 51|
|39||12,825||3000 – 3199||51 – 52|
|40||13,080||3200 – 3500||52 – 55|
The rates may vary slightly for people with different body mass index.
Why does weight gain during pregnancy
Weight gain during gestation is an important condition for the successful development of the baby. Doctors distinguish a number of physiological factors that provoke an increase in a woman's body weight:
- Fetal growth. During gestation, the baby gains weight, respectively, the body weight of the mother also grows.
- Placenta growth. A placenta or a child's place is an organ that provides a connection between a mother and a baby, it grows with the fetus.
- An increase in the volume and weight of the uterus. Before pregnancy, the uterus is very small and weighs only 50 grams. But as the baby grows, it stretches, and its weight increases 10 times.
- Filling the uterus with amniotic fluid. As you know, the embryo is in the amniotic fluid, the amount of which increases with the growth of the child.
- Increase in circulating fluid volume in the body of a woman. Since it is necessary to provide food for the child and remove more waste products, there is more urine and blood.
- Breast enlargement. The pregnant woman’s breast is preparing for feeding, it swells, the glands begin to produce colostrum.
- Fat Formation. So the woman’s body takes care of the child, ensuring that in case of hunger he will have enough nutrients for normal growth and development.
The weight of the pregnant woman normally increases with the size of the abdomen. Therefore, in the first trimester, usually no increase is observed, and in the presence of toxicosis, a woman can even lose 3-5 kg, depending on the severity of this phenomenon.
In 2-3 trimesters, when the main organs of the fetus are already formed and it begins to grow actively, a woman gains weight. How exactly the increase will occur depends on the body of a particular woman. Factors that affect weight during pregnancy:
- Body weight before gestation. The more a woman weighs, the more there is an increase during pregnancy. During the period of carrying a baby, it is very difficult to reconsider your lifestyle completely and start eating completely differently.
- The amount of weight lost in the first weeks. The more a woman loses, the more and faster she will gain, as the body will try to compensate for the lost fat layer. Therefore, do not rush to the worst and overeat after the disappearance of nausea.
- Age. The older the pregnant woman, the more likely it is that she will gain a lot of extra pounds. The fact is that with age, metabolic processes go worse, and the likelihood of complications increases. In women after 35 years, a pathological course of gestation is more often observed.
- Malnutrition. Overeating is the most common cause of overweight during pregnancy, as many women begin to eat for two, without limiting themselves in anything.
In most cases, a pathological increase can be avoided if you control your diet, lead a healthy lifestyle and are regularly examined in a antenatal clinic.
The rate of increase for pregnant twins
|A week||Rate of increase|
The indicators for pregnant twins are very averaged and taken for women with a pregnant weight of about 65 kg.
Possible deviations from the norm may be due to:
- severe toxicosis in the early stages, which provoked even weight loss,
- puffiness in the later stages, which provoked a bust,
- in view of individual characteristics, in the first half, recruitment can be faster than in the second half,
- due to the risk of not informing children before the 40th week, weight can also be missed.
In any case, the presence of deviations is determined only by the doctor. Therefore, panic ahead of time should not be.
What to do if the increase is excessive
Despite some publications on the network and their recommendations, it is not worth arranging fasting days in an interesting position, as well as starving. Subsequently, this may affect the child in the most negative way. At the same time, to moderate the pace of recruitment, it is important:
- limit the intake of fat and flour,
- remove treats, sweets from the diet,
- make healthy snacks - fruits, vegetables, yogurt,
- so that the number of snacks is less, you should provide yourself daily with cereal, brown bread (that is, complex, long-digested, carbohydrates),
- remove caffeine, strong black tea, chocolate (it contains fats, sugars, and caffeine).
Note! Sudden jumps in weight - this is also harmful. In this case, blood pressure also jumps, which in itself is very dangerous. What is the way out of the situation? Limit yourself gradually, not shedding, but hindering the recruitment of new excess weight, even if the real indicators go strongly against the indicators that the pregnancy calendar contains.
What to do if the increase is insufficient
So that the problem of lack of body mass in a baby does not concern you, it is important to monitor not so much the number of kilocalories that have entered the mother’s body, but the quality of nutrition. In other words, the diet must include:
- Cereals, cereals - oatmeal, buckwheat, wheat groats, which must be boiled in milk with the addition of butter and berries, are suitable. This is a full, nutritious breakfast that will provide energy and help you stay within the scope of medical recommendations.
- Boiled eggs (hard boiled, they are absorbed by 97%).
- The first dishes are soups, borscht cooked on the second meat broth. It is believed that a strong broth complicates the work of the kidneys.
- Meat and fish products - boiled, baked, stewed dishes are suitable.
- A sufficient amount of vegetables - you can cook salads and season them with healthy fats (vegetable oil, sour cream). So they will be absorbed faster and better.
- Fruits in large quantities.
- Nuts, seeds - they contain a lot of useful substances and are suitable as snacks, however, like dried fruits.
- Juices, weak tea with milk.
Buns and flour are better to limit. Of course, they are the best way to help gain weight, but this is not the most wholesome food. In addition, unlike vegetable fiber (fruits, dried fruits, nuts), baking leaves behind a feeling of heaviness in the stomach and digestive problems. Is it worth it? Everyone decides for himself.
When to worry and adjust weight
The absence of additional kilograms in the first 14 to 15 weeks of pregnancy is considered a normal option, even if the graph says the opposite. This is not a cause for concern in the later stages, if the doctor does not find health problems. This happens with miniature ladies or overweight ladies before pregnancy.
If the excess, according to the doctor, is significant (more than kg in the first or last trimester every week), you should review your diet. Although an overabundance is not so dangerous, it can indicate the presence of edema, lead to gestosis, and involuntarily send a pregnant woman to a cesarean section.
Weight in an interesting position is important! But don't dwell on it! Just eat right and then the problems associated with it will not affect you!
What I faced in both my pregnancies was the problem of finding fashionable and inexpensive clothes for my plump belly. In ordinary stores, everything seemed old-fashioned and expensive. I solved this problem with the help of mothercare online store, where there are a lot of beautiful clothes for pregnant women at competitive prices, so catch a tip and use your health!
That's right, new complications and pathologies, including: